20 coaches online • Server time: 06:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Jump up on a tree?goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bobafettsmum

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to get an idea of how many leagues out there allow special play cards and of those that do whether they randomly select the cards or allow coaches to pick which ones they want?

Also it'd be good to know what coaches in general think about picking special play cards over the random selection. Cheers.

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

You surely never allow a coach to select a card, you pay for a card from a deck and draw at random?

Suddenly (insert card you like the best here, Custard Pie) becomes way better value at 50 k if you allow a coach to pick it?

The league I play in allows cards, but it's random from a deck. I'm yet to come across any that allow you to pick a card, and I'd be pretty frightened of playing under those circumstances! Smile
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 15:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
You surely never allow a coach to select a card, you pay for a card from a deck and draw at random?

Suddenly (insert card you like the best here, Custard Pie) becomes way better value at 50 k if you allow a coach to pick it?

The league I play in allows cards, but it's random from a deck. I'm yet to come across any that allow you to pick a card, and I'd be pretty frightened of playing under those circumstances! Smile

I remember sitting on my mate's bedroom floor, board out, teams set up, both drawing random events hoping for The Big Match!

Sigh... I used to enjoy rolling for Gate and Winnings when it meant something Razz
bobafettsmum

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

My league does. Not my idea. I hate it.

bobafettsmum

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

For those on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/154786034573932/975836172468910/?notif_t=like

Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

bobafettsmum wrote:
Also it'd be good to know what coaches in general think about picking special play cards over the random selection. Cheers.

You'd have to triple the price for the cheap ones and double the price for the expensive ones...

or rather reevaluate the value of every card individually... spiked ball could go at 40k... but even a meaningless card like that can be very strong in the right matchup... like say a khemri opponent...
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a common enough disease though, isn't it? "My League can't just play like everybody else, I've got to make a house rule that totally messes up a well designed game." You see the same with GMs in P&P role-playing. We have a word for it in German, "Verschlimmbessern". To disimprove?
bobafettsmum

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Goo. You are the bastion of reason amongst Blood Bowl coaches. Please wade in and give your balanced view on facebook of this subject! Very Happy

"Verschlimmbessern". To disimprove? I like it! Wink

awambawamb

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

bobafettsmum wrote:
Just wanted to get an idea of how many leagues out there allow special play cards and of those that do whether they randomly select the cards or allow coaches to pick which ones they want?

"all our wardancers came with built-in invulnerability belt and loaded dice: 6."

Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2015 - 21:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I absolutely don't do Facebook. You're kind enough to say I'm a bastion of reason; you won't find much reason on social media. It's there for moaning and baby pictures, right? Wink
bobafettsmum

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2015 - 10:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont forget the cats, Goo! Very Happy

Brot

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2015 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Just think about a Halfling player who picks Eclipse every single match. All of your players are rookie Goblins while his players are actually buffed!!
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2015 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Brot wrote:
Just think about a Halfling player who picks Eclipse every single match. All of your players are rookie Goblins while his players are actually buffed!!

...for one turn.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2015 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

My league is currently ending in a round robin tournament between the six players who have stayed in until the end (about 17 games). We have always allowed the cards but they didn't get much action in the league proper. For the round robin, however, we decided to give every coach an additional 200k to spend only on cards each match, in addition to regular inducement sums they might receive which they can also add to their card pot if they wish. It has definitely shaken things up and where some teams were massive favourites before, having developed well and being played by more experienced coaches, we have seen some big upsets as a result of the cards. While this is entertaining (helped cut a fairly dominant 1900TV Dark Elf team packed with +ST, +AG, Guard and MB down to size by taking away all their rerolls for a match) it can easily leave coaches feeling short changed and like too much of the competitive element has been removed when one coach gets excellent cards and the other gets garbage (admittedly often only in the context of the specific match).

If the majority of your players get their competitive fix online, or are more concerned with playing games that are fun and random, a change like ours to make the cards more prominent in matches could work, but I think for next season I'll be going back to allowing them as part of the regular inducement system and nothing else.
Brot

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2015 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
Brot wrote:

...for one turn.

Still quite worth the 50k.
 Jump to: