25 coaches online • Server time: 08:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

@ Christer: Thanks for the clarification but I am confused now over what you haven't said. You say it's generally allowed to time out afk players, but what about those doorbell / cat on fire / baby wakes up cases? Up to today I was under the impression that it was a clear site rule that these are instances where timeout is illegal, is that still true?

(You should think it's no issue as surely coaches wouldn't time out in such a situation, if it is clearly communicated, but it does happen. There was one particular Major semi I remember that was probably decided by such a timeout.)

Site rules say this:

Quote:
If a coach has to leave in the middle of a game for reasons beyond control (...), that coach is considered as disconnected
Uedder

Post   Posted: Feb 15, 2016 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Charlie, I for one think there has to be a gray area on the matter: the only thing you know for sure is that if your opponent is playing and takes more than 4 minutes you are entitled to time him out.

If it was ruled for example that no "afk" could be timed out, then it could be exploited. Otherwise if it was ruled that all "afk" could be timed out, it could lead to some really unpleasant situations.

Hence a gray area for the admin to maneuver.
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2016 - 10:20
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo,

basically that part is mostly about disappearing coaches (which is what "real" disconnections look like). The "15 minute afk rule" in a sense.

If a coach has an emergency and can't spend the 10 seconds it takes to write a message about it in the chat (or close the client), that's likely something involving harm coming to people or property. At that point, the least of their worries should be a timed out turn in an online game.

The bottom line here is that most people are reasonable in general. If you get disconnected, it's not the end of the world if you end up being timed out "unfairly".
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2016 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

So if they do type in chat, "sorry, kid is crying, brb" and they take 5 minutes, it's illegal to time them out, right? I've just been asking to be 100% clear, since you did not mention that case in your original post.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Feb 16, 2016 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I try to use the timeout as I'd want it used upon myself. I only timeout for pesistent slow play. Anything else and I'll leave it. If they can't come back to the game for 15 or 30 or 45 minutes then there's something else going on that the person must deal with, no point timing out.

However if a coach is 5,6,7 turns over the 4minute mark in a game, then I'll be ready to use it.

BB is a social game, there are 2 people playing. It is rude to repeatedly extend your turns to the maximum limit or more. You have a 4 minute allowance, a time that is designed for TT where players must be picked up and moved, dice must be shaken and rolled. JavaBB is lightening quick in comparison, and you have marking and all sorts of aids as well. Those 4 minutes should not be regarded as time to fill.

Jump to: