55 coaches online • Server time: 12:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
licker

Post   Posted: May 06, 2016 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Why 7?

10 is great.
deyempe

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 00:11 Reply with quote Back to top

IDK really - modern stuff scares the living CRP outta me xD
kummo

Post   Posted: May 07, 2016 - 06:15 Reply with quote Back to top

7 works fine. Why risk taking new less tested product?

I've heard that some programs, games, apps and even net sites don't work that good or at all in 10.

(Also there might be more datamining in 10 than it was in 7).
Christer

Post   Posted: May 08, 2016 - 14:11
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The reason I suggested 7 as an alterinative to 10 is that some people *really* don't like the way Win8 and later looks and functions. There's also the matter of Microsoft adding more user tracking and analysis to 8 and later (and particularly to 10). That being said, they have also backported the same tracking services to Win7, so unless you're a power user and have the ability and patience to try to disable all that, you're still going to be tracked..

So it really comes down to the user interface..

Windows 7 is a strong OS, and sort of uses the same UI "language" as older versions. Windows 8 was the first OS with the "Modern UI" (or Metro or whatever you want to call it), and while possible to get used to (and I did), it's not great. Micrsoft's next update (8.1) changed some things for the better, but it still had some usability issues and quirks.

With Windows 10, Microsoft finally got things somewhat right and I figure it's the first Modern UI OS that feels reasonable. This is what Windows 8 should have been in the first place. Sort of the same way Windows 7 is what Vista should have been.

For most people, I would recommend Windows 10 overall. If you're a gamer in general, you'll effectively be forced over to Win10 at some point because of DirectX 12 not being available on Win7. On top of that, it's a strong OS in my opinion, and I'm quite happy with it.

With regards to kummo's comment about things not working, that's always going to be the case. The most critical thing for compatibility is device drivers, which early on in an OS cycle simply aren't available (although Windows drivers dating back to Vista work for the most part), or are a bit unstable. As the OS matures, device drivers and apps become updated and on an older OS you're inevitably going to end up with new apps simply not working because they require features from the new one.

For most people, the most reasonable time to upgrade to the latest OS is roughly 6 to 12 months after its release as the most critical problems will have been fixed by then.

As for myself, I'm an early adopter and upgrade as early as I can (so I've been running Win10 for roughly a year now).

Oh, and as for Windows 10 being a less tested product? At its core, Windows 10 is essentially the same as Windows Vista (which was the first consumer oriented OS based on the Windows NT kernel). Overall, it's well tested and the problems aren't really on the core level of the OS, but with minor things that have been improved and with new features.
 Jump to: