33 coaches online • Server time: 11:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2005 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Man, I knew my buddy had a crappy cubicle job when they moved his officese floor. He got another cubicle, only this time with a pillar down the middle of his cubicle! Yarr! He used the pillar to hide behind and slept all day at his desk as his boss could not see him!

Poor guy gets a promotion, raise and better benefits. Oh yeah, his new office, a cubicle. Meanwhile, my office has 7-9 pieces of furniture, a huge plant and a view of the park that all my clients drink in (still a nice park) and I make 20-25k less than him.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2005 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I always marvel at how such a seemingly diverse group of people can be bound together within the world of Blood Bowl. If I were to be allowed the A-Time choice that Wotfudboy suggests above...well...different path to choose? Dangerous of course...what if my new choice somehow led me down a path that didn't find a tangent with FUMBBL...or BB for that matter? And what if we didn't have a choice to begin with Wink
But were I allowed a free hand in my pre-determined new life I would make sure that I had saved enough cash to pay SkiJunkie to take a year off and perfect this little client we love so much...including varients such as Street Bowl and Dungeon Bowl...and play test areas as well. (I would of course allow him his beloved snow vacations...I am not a slave driver) I would also funnel some of this bounty to Sweden so a christer could get this site up on a big time server to eliminate downtimes. (and would send him on a vacation as well...why not, we don't need him to protect the box Wink )
I would hire origami as a casual employee to keep an eye on the sanity of certain players, Mully to oversee every tourny going and Zy-Nox to make avitars for us all Wink
I would buy up GW and commission 5 variants of every team in the LRB. I would also have at least one box set that came fully painted for those of us that can't stand inking shadows or playing teams that are only undercoated!
I would have Block Dice in a rainbow of colours and commission a feasibility study into BB as a D20 system just to keep Covertfun happy.
Peter Jackson would be brought in to direct "Blood Bowl: The Movie" and get Purple Chest in a staring role.
Twahn would be Line Producer and Clainfinity would underwrite the whole venture.
Whew...what a life! And so much more to do.

Oh...in this curent life I am a Stand-Up Comic..we don't have a job, we do "gigs". But I haven't done the right one yet to enact the above...maybe next week.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2005 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I learned long ago that being a wage slave is for suckers... mind you... we need suckers... the more the merrier...

After realizing I had no real skills (technically incompetent, uncharismatic) or ability to follow orders (I have a goonish physique but despise authority) I decided to become an academic. As a Dr. of Philosophy I get to study what interests me and after tenure I have a freedom to say anything.

Now I am battling the forces of evil (marxism, post-modernism, and the cult of victimization) through pen, keyboard and lecture hall. Most enjoyable! (And the fools pay me to propagandize.. it is wonderfull!)

Call it my own attempt at self-realization.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2005 - 21:32 Reply with quote Back to top

ozjesting wrote:
Dangerous of course...what if my new choice somehow led me down a path that didn't find a tangent with FUMBBL...or BB for that matter?

I was introduced to Blood Bowl 8 years ago by the teacher across the hall from me. He was the "Game Master". There wasn't anything he couldn't come up with a superior strategy for. He played Magic with some kids after school, and I went over to his room one day. Magic seemed interesting, I'd seen it before but never played it. He let me go through his card boxes and I was easily able to put together a deck to beat everyone but him.

One day we're sitting around, and he says "you ever play D&D? I've got a cool game that's even better." He then goes into his closet and pulls out Warhammer Quest. God, how I learned to love and hate that game at the same time. I miss it. Then he taught me to play Blood Bowl, and I've been hooked ever since. He taught me the intricasies of kickoff positioning (don't line up two squares from the sidelines against a team with a block/frenzy minotaur), skill development (chaos warriors with block and big hand rock), and play style (when a player is on the ground he can't block you, when a player is two squares away from you you can't block him).

If I had taken a position at a different school, I'd have never met him, and would have never been introduced to this Blood Bowl. Destiny, perhaps. Who knows. I'm just thankful that it happened.
PjPants

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2005 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

im a teacher which means i sit around making teams and deleting them while my students do worksheets.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2005 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

A poem to reply to Macavity's poem:

Fire
beautiful cleanser
take these cubicles

away

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2005 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I work as a software developer. It is nice good pay, have an office. Today I played Counter Strike Source for a few hours and it was actually for work! I write mods/plugins and other software for games so that they can interoperate with our software. I also get to do some travel for work.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2005 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a friend who works for ATI and tests graphic cards. So he plays the newest video games for hours and records where he sees lag, artifacts, etc.

It's sort of sad when you talk to your buddy and he tells you he's just so damn tired of playing Half-Life II all day. But the hell of the job is you never play these games through... just certain levels, certain scenarios, certain set-ups where bugs have been reported. Imagine playing the second half of the third level of Doom 3 for two days straight, but never progressing to level four. Yikes.

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2005 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it can be boring with some of the bug testing but we manage to write some pretty interesting bugs Smile Also occasionally the hours can be fairly long. But overall it is a great job.
Hank

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2005 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I am a halfling master chef, or something like that... Seriously I work as a diet chef, doing hours at 2 different places. One where i cook for kids (stunties) with severe allergic reactions (no seafood, egg, milk or nuts in the food, no spices except for salt and pepper) and at the other place I cook for 99% girls with eating disorder issues, like bulimia and anorexia (yeah, yeah I have heard all the jokes...). The places are rather different as you might expect. The kids are far easier to satisfy to say the least. Once an anorexian tried to bribe me to since she didnĀ“t want to eat fish.

I didnt become a diet chef to help people so Im definatly not Florence Nightingale. I was working in a huge bakery before that but some nasty danes brought the entire company and closed the bakery down in our city. I dont mind that so much anyway for my own sake as I dont miss working nightshift ( I do miss the pay however, and some workmates; we was a bunch who got along good and didnt take no shit from the management).

Hank, the swedish chef.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2005 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

hehe Hank thats some how quite funny Very Happy
but since you allrdy heard all the jokes....
 Jump to: