15 coaches online • Server time: 05:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AzraelEVA

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:

There are a number of rosters that are possibly too good and as this is an open beta of sorts things will be tweaked and made weaker or stronger, but no posiotionals will be added or removed, just tweaks to what we have.

Is there a list what tier a team is supposed to have?
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

not yet, but I am going to do a few tweaks to some rosters on Tuesday. after which I will do that.

edit: it is also worth bearing in mind that teams will perform at different levels at different TVs just like standard BB.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, this has inspired me to come back to Blood Bowl after a long (mostly) hiatus. I've started five teams, and am currently trying to resist the impulse to start more. (The siren song of Savage Orcs calls to me. I imagine it as a hideous, ululating, off-key racket, but something about it... ah...)

I've made it a point to seek out rosters that aren't (weren't?) otherwise represented in the open league -- in part to try out things that haven't been explored, in part to be able to say "I had the first one of THESE on FUMBBL." My thoughts so far:

Hobgoblin Slavers
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=844490

Six games in, and I'm really enjoying these guys -- and not just because I'm 5-1-0. It's a simple roster, but there's a good combination of beef (black orcs and troll), agility (the gits, reminding me yet again that starting with dodge is a lovely thing) and wild-card appeal (again, the gits, with their knives.) Stab is probably my second-favorite skill, after frenzy, and I'm glad to get to use it. (Dark elf assassins are not enough!)

Despite my record so far, and the knowledge that I'm not exactly the best coach, I don't think this roster is overpowered; even with the dodge and stab, I suspect the gits aren't quite as good as orc blitzers, and as much as I irrationally dislike orc linemen, they certainly beat hobgoblins. Still, there's a lot of room between "probably not quite as good as orcs" and "not competitive," and these guys find the sweet spot in the middle while being a lot of fun to play. I recommend them!

Centigors
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&team_id=844716

I didn't know what to expect from these guys, but one game in, I'm sold on them. The ungors fall somewhere between goblins and human catchers, two positionals that I like more than a lot of people do. My suspicion is that their medium-term appeal is going to hinge a lot on getting a whole bunch of blodge, but not (Nuffle willing) in a boring Amazon kind of way. The ST2 and doubles mutation access should see to that, as should the presence of the centigors themselves -- great blitzers 5/6 of the time, and the rest of the time they're too drunk to play. (This makes for some pretty great chat jokes.) They're kind of like a wonky version of the "normal" beastman roster -- a bit cheaper, less reliable, probably not as competitive in the long run, but laden with character. I'm not sure they'll ever be a hugely popular team, but I intend to come back for many more rounds.

Clan Eshin
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=844440

Maybe I just caught them on a bad day, and maybe I just had a bad game, but these guys were a bit of a slog to play. Skaven minus stormvermin plus 2 human catchers (more or less) and an assassin who seems a little expensive. (Maybe he'll grow into his cost, but as much as I like to stab, I'm not sure I want my wardancer analogue doing it. Until then, shadowing seems like a weird fit on a guy with AV7 and no defensive skills... why dodge away from him if you can just hit him?) I'm going to stick with them, but I've always had a bit of trouble getting into skaven, for reasons I've never quite been able to pinpoint. These guys seem like they might be no different.

Elementals (Air)
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=844364

I've had two games with these guys, both of them fun, and neither of them a blowout by any means -- but my suspicion is that the incarnate elementals are a bit much. Particularly the air elemental, who has ST4, AG4 and leaps anywhere on a 2+, like some kind of unholy hybrid of a wardancer and a vampire. I haven't gotten the ball to the water elemental yet, but a ST5 guy who has no significant obstacles that would prevent him from rushing also seems pretty tough to beat. (An array of reasonably priced linemen with relevant base skills and good skill access don't hurt either.) Not sure if no G access/loner on the big guys will rein them in a little as they develop, but right now, I feel a little like I'm getting away with something when I play them.

Necrarch
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=844706

This is another one that feels like it MIGHT be a bit strong. Strength access x 8, 4 elves (more or less) and 4 wights on the same roster, reasonable prices and across-the-board regeneration to boot? 6/3/4/8 with no skills is an elf lineman, and costs 70k; adding regen, hypnotic gaze, foul appearance and S access for 30k more feels like a pretty good deal.

I could be overreacting... I won the one game I've played with them so far, but it was a game worthy of the name, not a massacre. I guess "8 guys who can get really good with a couple skills, plus a bunch of cheap line fodder" could describe, for example, CRP chaos dwarves too... though the CD positionals' skills/potential tend to point in the same direction (strength/caging/blocking) and leave a clear weakness (handling), whereas I don't know what (aside from not-great foot speed) holds these vamps back. I suppose we shall see.

----------

So, yeah, very excited in general. So many new variables to delve into! Thanks so much for this!
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 16:51 Reply with quote Back to top

thank you for the good quality constructive feedback.

FYI - Elementals, I am pretty sure the air elemental was meant to be ag3, but it was soo long ago I made that roster its hard to say. will see how they get on though, but most likely his ag will be reduced to 3.

Necrarch i will probably knock their wights down to 2 and see how they get on. As 4 wights is awesome.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 16:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyone up for a game?
Khorne's Elite certainly is.
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion: I was wondering if you plan to tweak the ruleset too. Like mb and claw not stacking, po only on AV rolls, right stuff negating tackle, etc.
Only played Tileans, they are great, similar to the old world team of the past. The variety they have is a major plus.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Just played savage orcs vs. Khorne... if you like block dice, have I got a matchup for you. Ultimately my years of Norse experience, combined with the bloodletters' willingness to harm anyone and anything on the field, up to and including themselves, carried the day. It's BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, after all, not FUNDAMENTAL SPORTS TECHNIQUE FOR THE FUNDAMENTAL SPORTS TECHNIQUE GOD.

(The Fundamental Sports Technique God is probably a dwarf. He likes blood too, but nobody likes him.)

(Hell, I ran a forward passing orc team back in the '90s. You probably shouldn't listen to me. Ever.)
Zoltaen

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

ahalfling wrote:
Just played savage orcs vs. Khorne... if you like block dice, have I got a matchup for you. Ultimately my years of Norse experience, combined with the bloodletters' willingness to harm anyone and anything on the field, up to and including themselves, carried the day. It's BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, after all, not FUNDAMENTAL SPORTS TECHNIQUE FOR THE FUNDAMENTAL SPORTS TECHNIQUE GOD.

(The Fundamental Sports Technique God is probably a dwarf. He likes blood too, but nobody likes him.)

Hell yeah it is Blood for the Fundamental Sports Technique god! I'll get you next time!
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Huh; when I made a team for another ruleset; it automatically put the [tag] in front of the team when I joined the group, so it'd be easy for people to identify I was in it. But the team with which I joined the secret league group for open testing does not seem to have applied such a [tag] to the team name, making it a bit harder to identify matchups; not sure why that happened.
This seemed the most convenient thread to enquire on it, as it does make it a spot harder to set up games.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Burnalot wrote:
Garion: I was wondering if you plan to tweak the ruleset too. Like mb and claw not stacking, po only on AV rolls, right stuff negating tackle, etc.
Only played Tileans, they are great, similar to the old world team of the past. The variety they have is a major plus.

Not sure yet, we will see, give things a little time to settle down first and koadah and I will talk

Zlefin wrote:
Huh; when I made a team for another ruleset; it automatically put the [tag] in front of the team when I joined the group, so it'd be easy for people to identify I was in it. But the team with which I joined the secret league group for open testing does not seem to have applied such a [tag] to the team name, making it a bit harder to identify matchups; not sure why that happened.
This seemed the most convenient thread to enquire on it, as it does make it a spot harder to set up games.

interesting, I didnt know this was possible I will look in to it.

EDIT: This doesnt seem to be possible.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

what doesn't seem to be possible?
I'm confused since it worked for one team but not the other
https://fumbbl.com/~Zlefin
assuming it shows the same for you as for me there's an [mj7] in front of the tema for one; but nothing for the team for this group, propensity.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Zlefin wrote:
what doesn't seem to be possible?
I'm confused since it worked for one team but not the other
https://fumbbl.com/~Zlefin
assuming it shows the same for you as for me there's an [mj7] in front of the tema for one; but nothing for the team for this group, propensity.

It doesn't seem possible to specify this tag anywhere.
If it is possible then Christer will need to tell us how.

Edit: I just created a team in that group and it did NOT apply a prefix to the team name.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The prefix was applied after I joined the group (from the group page/teams/apply for membership); not just from creating the team.

I also joined this group similarly, but no tag.
I wonder how that other guy got tags to appear for teams joining his group.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Zlefin wrote:
The prefix was applied after I joined the group (from the group page/teams/apply for membership); not just from creating the team.

I also joined this group similarly, but no tag.
I wonder how that other guy got tags to appear for teams joining his group.

I do notice that the league is run by mister__joshua who is staff.
Maybe he edited it.

Secret League is pretty big. People are going to have to sort out their team names themselves.
I have already asked Christer for a way to identify teams in gamefinder. His to do list is probably pretty long though. Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2016 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

he will have arranged for an admin to go in and change all the team names, something they probably wont be keen to do. That said it is a very simple elegant solution to a problem. so would be a good option for a rule set in future. I will raise it to the powers that be. thanks