44 coaches online • Server time: 11:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kam

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2016 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Can we get a round of applause for our editor? It may (or may not?) have been his last issue, and if you ask me it's one of the finest. It took him one year or so to find enough articles (and to wake me up for the coding) - it can be a long, ungrateful job, and this issue wouldn't have been released without him.

And thanks again for baring with me and my silly ideas, Goo ("boss, can I get 2 more weeks to do that?"). Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2016 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

/me starts mexican applause

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2016 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Shush, no more of this! Editing is mainly hassling people and being a pedant, and I do those things naturally. Wink

The real stars are our contributors and Kam. This issue was 'in the can' and sat idle for a few months until he returned with his coding majesty. My hat is tipped.

As Kam mentions, this is my last issue as editor. Like all other GLN editors before me (I think?) a maximum of two is a great point at which to depart. It's been a pleasure doing the job, but I've no doubt my successor will do fine things. (S)he is yet to be appointed, but I'm sure (s)he will enjoy the same great support from the team that I have had for two issues.

More than enough me chat for one post (yuck!).
Kam

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2016 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Eh, funny how everybody thinks he has the "easy" job. I've sat in both seats: editor for the last but one issue, and coder for the last three, and I enjoy mine much more than the editing job. And of course, another round of applause for all the contributors, including all the coaches who fluff this site up all year round, such as akaRenton, providing content we can steal for the GLN (images and did you know's in that case).

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2016 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
As Kam mentions, this is my last issue as editor. Like all other GLN editors before me (I think?) a maximum of two is a great point at which to depart. It's been a pleasure doing the job, but I've no doubt my successor will do fine things. (S)he is yet to be appointed, but I'm sure (s)he will enjoy the same great support from the team that I have had for two issues.

Yes, most, if not all GLN editors are good for 2-3 issues before it is better to pass on the torch.

I believe that at some point I will do another run as editor in chief, but that day has not yet come.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Sep 06, 2016 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

GLN issue 17 page 14 - Tactical quiz

Option 1 - Surfing
I think it is possible. Furthermore seriously considered. Although risky, the reward is similar to the risk. Let me show what it takes. But before i do, let me mark the cells. the columns are (left to right) A,B,C, etc, endzone is L. The rows from top to bottom are 1,2,3, etc, 9. So row 1 is the row next to the sideline. Now that is out, lets see the steps
- F5 moves to E4.
- E8 moves to F3.
- C5 blocks (success chance is 2/3) D4, chainpushes into E3, chainpushes into E2 (ballcarrier), E2 pushed into F1.
- G3 blocks F2, and hopefully (success chance is 2/3) pushes into E1.
- E5 moves to I3.
- H3 blitzes G2, and hopefully (success chance is 2/3) pushes into the F1 (ballcarrier), and surf the ballcarrier.

Now there could be some moves done to make it safer if it fails, like moving the nonmarked players closer to the endzone, but i left those optimization out to simplify my point.

Summary: Success needs 3 times roll that has a success chance of 2/3. Success chance is about 59%. Considering the fact that elves tend to score unless the ball is stolen, i would be inclined to go for the surf rather option2 or option3, and take the risk of 41% for fail.