56 coaches online • Server time: 18:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:

Then again, Christer always stated he's trying to keep things as close to the official rules as possible. Within that spirit, seasons have to come. Period.

(And I'm really not a fan of it, considering long-term team building is one of my joys.)

Sure but the rules do not say how long a season should be. If you just make one up and then implement you are also not remaining faithful to the official rules. Setting up a 200 year long season is just as much within the rules as a 6 month season. A 5,000 game season is just as much within the rules as a 20 or 100 game season.

In this aspect if seasons need to be installed to fit the rules as they are written I advocate doing it in a way that is best for the enjoyment of the FUMBBL community and make the season extremely long.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Khemri #2, probably Lizardman #2

Edit: actually 1 would be ogres! Followed by goblins. And assassins on dark elf sides might be back

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Going back to the potential 'cash hoarding' issue, has the removal of the petty cash phase been implemented in the client? If so, there will be a big incentive for teams that are currently sitting on huge piles of gold to spend it on inducements in their next game, to avoid the risk of expensive mistakes.

Could perhaps lead to some skewed games in the first round of this year's UI?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Faction had seasons, just saying...

As for MVPs others have stated those that will benefit most (slow to advance ones).

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:

Majority of coaches do not remember Faction. Heck Iam coming up on my 10 year anniversary on FUMBBL and barely remember Faction.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

A separate faction-style open division with seasons would be cool, but there isn't the player base for it.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:
@fidius: I expect that, even without seasons, expensive mistakes will cut down on unlimited gold and prevent teams from amassing huge cash piles to buy tourneys (i.e. taking advantage of the removal of the petty cash phase).

Well, even I agree that if you are going to remove transfer cash at equal value you MUST then put a very hard restrictor plate on how much gold you can horde. You cannot have one with out the other.

IMO you do everything talked about but do not put "season" play into R/B you will see team TV size lower in R especially and given enough time and games the teams will stabilize around the 2000-2200 TV range for high end play.

But you will still have some coaches who jam their TV into the 2400+TV range, play with perm damage across the roster and have fun while it lasts. Then they get slagged out and have to restart the entire team because of lack of gold.

The thing with expensive mistakes is that you're not gold starved at high TV. I believe dedicated pickers can bring their teams well into the 3000s.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
PainState wrote:
JellyBelly wrote:
@fidius: I expect that, even without seasons, expensive mistakes will cut down on unlimited gold and prevent teams from amassing huge cash piles to buy tourneys (i.e. taking advantage of the removal of the petty cash phase).

Well, even I agree that if you are going to remove transfer cash at equal value you MUST then put a very hard restrictor plate on how much gold you can horde. You cannot have one with out the other.

IMO you do everything talked about but do not put "season" play into R/B you will see team TV size lower in R especially and given enough time and games the teams will stabilize around the 2000-2200 TV range for high end play.

But you will still have some coaches who jam their TV into the 2400+TV range, play with perm damage across the roster and have fun while it lasts. Then they get slagged out and have to restart the entire team because of lack of gold.

The thing with expensive mistakes is that you're not gold starved at high TV. I believe dedicated pickers can bring their teams well into the 3000s.

But will they be able to pick cherries from such lofty heights?
zakatan

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

But will they be able to pick cherries from such lofty heights?

The greatest trick of the cherrypicker was to make cherries believe that cherries don't exist.

They'll find their way.

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Dalfort wrote:

Majority of coaches do not remember Faction. Heck Iam coming up on my 10 year anniversary on FUMBBL and barely remember Faction.

I know, it's my "fluff" and I repeat, just saying Razz

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Seasons are great for what they were intended for, small store based TT leagues where you want to encourage new players to join without forcing the veterans to reroll their teams from scratch. Doesn't really need to be done in a matchmaking environment, where there already is a system to stop a tv 1000 team from getting eaten by a 2200 chaos team. But it still would be great to have for the smaller leagues here as an option.

A lot of these new rules, even the MVP one, make a lot more sense when you put them in the context of a FLGS league instead of an online one. One where you have a very limited pool of players, can't make massive multi-tier leagues, and so on. You have maybe 10-16 potential players and once they are exhausted, that's it. Especially with the buy in cost of miniatures these days even from the cheaper 3rd party makers.

As to the question at hand however, while it definitely benefits teams with slow skilling important guys more than others, it really is a boon to all teams. I especially see it being useful for when you have that player who annoyingly refuses to get that last SPP he needs for a skill, despite constant armor breaks and such where statistically he should roll an actual casulty but just doesn't because nuffle hates you.

Last edited by Silent_Hastati on %b %17, %2017 - %18:%Mar; edited 3 times in total
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2017 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

one minor sadness to me is that it's going to remove the awesomeness of player records for having lots of mvps. I think I used to have someone on one of the top 10 lists for most mvps on a lineman for some race. Now you can too easily just pile mvps onto someone so they get such things, and at any rate it's not really as much of a natural outgrowth now.
 Jump to: