76 coaches online • Server time: 21:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Slick

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Which of the two am i doing if I talk smack during a game?

Examples:
Time for your candy @$$ chaos to get whooped by my fairy, dancing - face, smashing elves.
Holy crap, I can't believe you just got away with that idiotic play, it's like you're the luckiest retard ever!
How is it that a goober like you can beat a genious like me? Is this the Twilight Zone version of JBB. Oh well I still luv ya, you crazy broad.

I guess what I'm asking is, "Where do you ... Slick points finger directly at you ... draw the line?"

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Depends on who says it.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 17:30
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion, and thats all i can offer:

First example - mainly funny and fluffy. Though a little homophobic for my taste.

Second example - Arogant and uncalled for, also 'retard' i find a little childish and offensive.

Third example - Good natured ribbing with the added advantage of displaying your dyslexia to all and hence combatting prejudice. Few people worthy of the title genius would spell it that way.
Shepherd

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is a simple rule for life, not just BB:

If you wonder "is this a good idea?", 99.9% of the time it is not.

Ergo, if you wonder "I wonder if this is just pointless insulting crap?" before you type, don't type it.

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Play me.

I'll give you as good as anything you hurl at me and we both have a blast!

pm me. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I find the general "You shouldn't be able to beat me" bothersome. Add smileys, it cures all Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I find anything you say funny when I am kicking your butt! Wink

I am never sensitive enough to be offended. hey to some fruit loops is just a cereal, others will see a cleverly disguised homophobic declaration. I just think it's funny, especially when Nuffle is on my side! Twisted Evil
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Apr 13, 2005 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Slick wrote:
Where do you ... draw the line?

Only as far as I know my opponent will let me.

Note the important part. Not "as far as my opponent should let me" or "as far as I expect my opponent will let me."

If you don't actually know your opponent, assume the worst possible interpretation of anything you say. Don't laugh about putting their players into a wheelchair unless you know that your opponent is not a parapalegic.

An extreme example, perhaps, but can you see how it is applicable? Am I making any sense at all?

{ disclaimer: Here's the thing. I generally don't actually belive in absolutes. Hardly any of us really know each other from the limited contact we have. The only thing you have to go on is what relationship you do have with your opponent. When your only dealings are over forum posts and in chat, it's impossible to really know for certain that someone is not misrepresenting themselves. I just simplified my point above to make it a little more readable and less arbitrary. Hopefully one can see how the concept applies.

If your opponent is having fun talking smack to you, it is safe to assume that you "know" that he is not offended by it. It doesn't take months of deep conversation or anything, just a bit of knowledge about your opponent and empathy for what others could conceivably think about what you say. Unless you have reason to believe otherwise, just don't say anything you think could possibly come across wrong, because you're probably right. See Shepherd's point above. }

Jump to: