30 coaches online • Server time: 10:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Zhems wrote:
koadah wrote:
Zhems wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:

The truth is that the large majority of coaches come to FUMBBL thinking they're better than they are. This isn't a slight, it's just true.

(I disagree. I know i'm an average player)

It's because until you've been tested against a larger and better quality field of opponents you don't really have any idea how good you really are.

So choosing not to use a tactic, one that isn't hard to implement, make me a lower quality player? Competitive play isn't better than non competitive play. It's like saying green is better than blue.

Stalling is not hard if you do not try to prevent it.

If you plan for the stall then it generally won't last long. The opponent will take the TD rather than risk you stealing the ball back.

In your last game you did nothing to prevent or shorten the stall.

You made some poor moves that lead to you getting turned over. You then sent players AWAY from the ball so that you could go for the "all or nothing" recover/pass play. It failed.
You then did not bring your players back after the ball. Had you pressured the ball you may have been able to at least force the opponent to score while there was still time for you to reply.

Because you left most of your players way down field scratching their behinds, your opponent was able to stall and foul to his hearts content.

Perhaps if you considered that all the games I have played were prior to my post and my new understanding of the gaming culture you could see i was not expecting to get stalled. I know better now.
I moved the players the way I did hoping that spoboyle would take the hint and TD. Again, not understanding the culture.

As to stalling being straight forward to implement, I stand by my words. Keeping a stall going! That, I agree, is the rub.

I think really what it is is most coaches play hard on the pitch and try their best the majority of the time but the majority also like to have a laugh or interesting chats in the chat at the same time. So when you get used to it it's both competitive and relaxed at the same time, league play is also the better place for building up relationships with other coaches that you can take to the forums or ranked/box.

The other thing is just let people know you are new, my first ever game I set up kicking with all 11 players on the Los thinking that like real life rugby/american football the kicking team chases Laughing

My oppo was a great sport and coached me through an offensive drive in the 2nd half and over the next few months helped me get the hang of stuff, most people will help you if you ask or are open to it, but thread titles like the one here just get peoples backs up because it suggests a certain presumption which just is not true for the vast vast majority.

DLE College 7s
Zhems

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Whether you do time management from the line of scrimmage or from the endzone doesn't really make a difference.

It makes a difference to my friends and I. Call it a philosophical difference.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Zhems wrote:
koadah wrote:

You then risked probably your best player on an AG3 dodge into TWO tackle zones, Mr. Green

I had forgotten about that, LOL. I clicked on the wrong square. Doh!

LOL.

In that case it doesn't look so bad then. Mr. Green

Zhems wrote:
Wreckage wrote:
Whether you do time management from the line of scrimmage or from the endzone doesn't really make a difference.

It is more a matter of whether or not you trust your friends to not take advantage. You sure can't trust Fumbblers. Twisted Evil

We're back to the... I "allow" you to score in two turns. Then I spend 15 turns rumbbling down the field for 2-1. Then we see what you can do in the last turn.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 17:07 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Zhems wrote:
koadah wrote:

You then risked probably your best player on an AG3 dodge into TWO tackle zones, Mr. Green

I had forgotten about that, LOL. I clicked on the wrong square. Doh!

LOL.

In that case it doesn't look so bad then. Mr. Green

Zhems wrote:
Wreckage wrote:

It is more a matter of whether or not you trust your friends to not take advantage. You sure can't trust Fumbblers. Twisted Evil

We're back to the... I "allow" you to score in two turns. Then I spend 15 turns rumbbling down the field for 2-1. Then we see what you can do in the last turn.

This sounds like a somewhat typical game of cdorks vs. skaven.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

[insert customary Pythrr comment here]

hey new guy, most of us are joking most of the time - it's a fumbbl rule to live by.

welcome and have silly funs! may all your goblins die by being eaten by trolls, cos that is the funnest.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 17:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Zhems wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:

The truth is that the large majority of coaches come to FUMBBL thinking they're better than they are. This isn't a slight, it's just true.

(I disagree. I know i'm an average player)

The statement is true whether it applies to you or not Very Happy

Zhems wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:

It's because until you've been tested against a larger and better quality field of opponents you don't really have any idea how good you really are.

So choosing not to use a tactic, one that isn't hard to implement, make me a lower quality player? Competitive play isn't better than non competitive play. It's like saying green is better than blue.

Competitive play isn't 'better' in that sense, no. I enjoy mostly playing as the less competitive teams, normally Goblins or Underworld.

But by the site description Ranked and Blackbox are competitive divisions and this is how people approach them. Which is why (coming full circle) I recommended you try League play and particularly the 145 Club. I think that this environment, culturally, will mesh well with what you're looking for AND will allow you to get better used to the client and suffer less misclicks Wink

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 17:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Zhems wrote:
Wreckage wrote:

I think I'd go along with your friends greatly then. Because I'm an excellent scrimmage line staller. Smile
Garion

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
Zhems wrote:
Wreckage wrote:

I think I'd go along with your friends greatly then. Because I'm an excellent scrimmage line staller. Smile

sounds like they'd call you a lucker for scoring in turn 8 all time after you stalled in the middle of the pitch for 6 turns. Razz
Wink

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course, stalling can go wrong even in the safest of situations

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=3753956

Sorry cdassak Smile
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

lol, the famous t16 stall for a loss.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 18:16
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:

Sorry cdassak Smile

Haha. Love that match Very Happy

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Another thing that occurs to me about this stalling debate is that I would think most people who take up a hobby and spend time doing something (whatever the activity is) would have a desire to improve over time and get better at it. If I was to start playing the flute, personally I wouldn't find it much 'fun' if I just piddled about with it playing like crap for 3 years and was just as bad as I was when I started, with no sense of improvement. (my family/neighbors probably wouldn't be too happy about it either Wink ).

Even if I have no intention at all of joining an orchestra as a professional flutist, or entering fluting competitions, there is pleasure and a sense of accomplishment at getting better at something.

But then, I suppose it depends on what you want. There's a different expectation between a group of buddies throwing a frisbee around on the beach and hardcore enthusiasts who are playing ultimate frisbee in the nationals Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Harad wrote:

Sorry cdassak Smile

Haha. Love that match Very Happy

XD epic

some stalls get out of hand

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you who like history, I ran into this: Delaying TDs, good strategy or cheesy exploit?
Civ

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2017 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

If they're stalling you're not pressuring. The spirit of blood bowl is never giving up, and not whining if something doesn't go the way you want imho
 Jump to: