49 coaches online • Server time: 16:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Throweck

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's talk about dice, baby.
Let's talk about you and me.
Let's talk about all the 6s and the pows that maybe.
Let's talk about dice.

Dooooooo Do!

So...

After a recently closed thread, let's bring it back to the discussion.

I have played and had great dice against people like Harad and Endzone and won. Some skill involved granted.

I have also played against coaches with a lower CR/level than me and lost.

I have been guilty of 'You only won because of dice' but in the same breath I have said 'I only won because of dice'.

I think there are legs in this discussion.

I believe though that, again, it comes down to etiquette and sportsmanship (/opens can of worms).

We play this game because we enjoy it. We all get something from it whether it be kill all menz or elfball or metagaming or social interaction.

We all frequent this site because of our love of bloodbowl. The fact that we as coaches occupy the the four corners of the globe should mean that we can have a discussion but also accept that we have different cultural upbringings which affect our etiquette and sportsmanship.

And again, I have been drinkning. I love my hilodays!

And.....discuss!

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing I have long wondered about is that whether one believes the dice to have been good or bad comes down to one's ability to reasonably assess the probability of different outcomes. In my experience this tends to be correlated with how good people are at the game. Sadly when people who are better at the game try to explain to someone that the dice have not been as good/bad as they think this isn't factored in. People seem to think that opinions on the dice are equal. I don't think this is the case.

I suspect most of us have been irrational/unfair/rude at some time or another because of the dice. I know I have. I try to be better.
Throweck

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 22:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
The thing I have long wondered about is that whether one believes the dice to have been good or bad comes down to one's ability to reasonably assess the probability of different outcomes. In my experience this tends to be correlated with how good people are at the game. Sadly when people who are better at the game try to explain to someone that the dice have not been as good/bad as they think this isn't factored in. People seem to think that opinions on the dice are equal. I don't think this is the case.

I suspect most of us have been irrational/unfair/rude at some time or another because of the dice. I know I have. I try to be better.

You are every time with me! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

That's not because of the dice.

Last edited by Harad on %b %03, %2017 - %22:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Throweck

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:
Better? Yes I know I am.

Wink

Touche!

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Dammit too quick on your response. I edited for a different jibe.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually said something along the lines of "I'm sure you had the better dice this game, but that was immaterial. This wasn't about dice" last time I played a certain coach (who's replied to this thread).

I looked later... he didn't even have the better dice Sad

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny how this is shortened to "Let's talk about dic...".
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2017 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Harad wrote:

I think that's part of it - can you recognize the impact the dice have had.

Once you can intuit their impact then it becomes a question of what mentioning them serves and how you go about it.

Usually I am complimentary of other people making awesome plays that require longer dice because if the situation was reversed you know I'd be smitten with it. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. See how I associate it with a play being made rather than an integral dice combo coming up in your favor? We have layers of fluff we can bury things under to take the rawness of their impact less harsh.

Similarly I don't mind people complaining about their own weak dice because again, if I was in their situation, I would be tempted (and often do) lament dice preventing me from participating fully in a game. And that's what it comes down to - I really don't like having bad dice because I feel like I'm letting my opponent down in providing an engaging challenge which keeps them coming back for more, even if I don't have control over it. And FWIW, I consider having bad dice to be more self contained to your own rolls - mostly failing blocks and dodges rather than encompassing your opponents armor rolls against your players. Some days the other team just has your soft spot identified and that's that.

But in both it really comes down to tact - is the way you comment on dice passive aggressive attempts to undermine the joy of having plays work out for the other coach? The words you use matter and if you don't put thought into your words people will get the impression that you're whining or undermining the primary facets of the game for no apparent reason other than ego preservation.
 Jump to: