38 coaches online • Server time: 12:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Desultory

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2016 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like turn based strategy type games, similar to Blood bowl and Warhammer.

FUMBBL is obviously an amazing online platform for blood bowl, and it seems like Warhammer 40,000 Sanctus Reach might be similar to the turn based play of board game Warhammer. Demo preview here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEgRjiAWxQ0

Wyrd gaming seems to be a new thing that is similar, but i'm not sure i'll like it more than Warhammer.

I loved Fallout and Fallout 2 before the combat became more First person shooter in Fallout3.

I also loved Baldurs gate which was similar. Icewind dale was ok.

Chess, poker, stratego I also loved.

I am wondering if any one has any other suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2016 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you played Planescape Torment?

It is infinity engine, like Baldur's Gate. I would highly, highly recommend it if you enjoyed BG.

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2016 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Good suggestion.
I'm also looking through these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_Workshop_video_games
Warhammer 40,000: Deathwatch - Tyranid Invasion looks decent

Post   Posted: Dec 30, 2016 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Jagged alliance 2, awesome turn-based strategic combat game.
Very old now but still played so not modern though, lot of mods available.
Desultory

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2017 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Again, really good suggestion. Never heard of Jagged alliance before!
Reminds me of an early version of XCOM. The AI seems a bit weak though.

I'm not really looking for RPG's despite saying I liked fallout etc. I'm a bit tired of story lines, thought I like the combat turn based phase of them.

I'm looking for strategic type multiplayer games which;
- one can make characters or build up skills and attributes to create different strategic possibilities, that can also be countered by other skills.
- When making an action one has a percentage to succeed or not based upon those skills.
- Which are ideally turn based though I am actually considering stretching to the Total War Warhammer series as they seem to meet most of the criteria without being turn based.

I'm basically looking for Warhammer the board game on PC Smile

This Total war arena looks like it has potential:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3M2lKKQ_XM
bigbullies

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2017 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Warhammer total war is good though if you have played any of the total war series its all very same same
Have you looked at mordheim ? Or even warhammer 40k armageddon as they both have progressional characters/units
Or if you are into chess 40k regicide as it can be played as classic chess with cool death scenes or regicide with awesome death scenes
(Hmm this makes me look like a GW whore )

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2017 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm surprised that nobody has really mentioned XCOM.
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 02:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Cardhunter.

End of story.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2017 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Dawn of war games are 40k based and cool, fun, but not really strategic at all. And real time (like total war warhammer) instead of turn based

I started playing battlefleet gothic armada yesterday, (fumbbl was down) it's not amazing
Background looks ok, interface is clunky and looks stupid, ships look too similar to each other
Not really strategic either, the combat is clunky and awkward

What you really should do, is play the recent XCOM games. They're everything you're looking for, except not GW licenced
huff

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2017 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I just picked up a copy of Memoir '44 a couple weeks ago and it's ace. Turn based strategy war game set in the WW2 era. No player progression per-say but the game does progress to become more intricate with different units as you go through the scenarios.

I haven't started playing the online version (yet) but it's free to start playing and I reckon you'll find out if you are a fan or not before having to pay. As I fellow BB enthusiast, I definitely reccomend this game.
 Jump to: