23 coaches online • Server time: 08:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post killing by fun?goto Post Raising a Thrall wit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Best BG for Chaos
Mino
39%
 39%  [ 89 ]
Ogre
35%
 35%  [ 80 ]
Troll
25%
 25%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 226

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2005 - 02:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Captain1821 wrote:
Bodega wrote:
Absolutely the mino - I actually find it more reliable than the other two bg - My mino doesn´t roar as much as the trolls are stupid or the ogre´s bone head takes controll Wink

How, is that possible?

Didn't you know that the random number generator is broken? Very Happy

(Please don't start a discussion about the random number generator, please please please, it was just a joke, ok?)
Uber

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2005 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the good thing with the mino is that if you provide it with a punching target, it'll bash it quite reliably. And when you actually roll 1, you keep your TZ at least. But it's easy to help you're really stupid player and then it's just as good as bonehead. When you put him in the middle of the line, he will usually have someone else to help him without much effort. You just need to stand your guys up in the right order. The next good thing about a Troll is also price. At 100K with regen, you get a good bang for your buck.

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2005 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Minotaurs are better and here is why...
Frenzy is what does it for me. Ogres and trolls don't have it and never will, so theorticly when they block, they will block twice giving a greater chance at knocking down the oppenents player.
Second, horns give the Minotaur 6 str on his own, meaning one helper and he is nearly assured 3 dice.
Third, Physical access, even if you say that the armor is the reason that you wouldn't take a Minotaur, rolling doubles means access to spikes (rarely taken over tenticles, rsc and claw). Which shows me that while the arguement that AV is important, no one ever takes Av, if they can injure more often. Just my opinion...

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2005 - 04:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, Frenzy is the main reason to not use Minotaurs. Without general skill access, the Mino will cause more turnovers and mutations aren't that important when you take block on the first doubles.
origami

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2005 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I rarely use BG for blocking. They basically serve as a punching bag on the line of scrimmage and as a big, hard to push tackle zone. Either the ogre or the troll will do this well. If you want damage, then the mino is the way to go, but...would you rather blitz with the "automatic failure 1/6 times, knock himself down 1/9" mino or with your claw/rsc beastman?
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Feb 04, 2005 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

As soon as my super mino dies i am going for an ogre as a replacement....more reliable.

I took an ogre to start with as it was when bg's had gen access.....so i could save those doubles for precious mutations. Now bg's lose gen access.....those doubles need to be saved for making the bg's more reliable (block+tackle on doubles)

all in all...bone head is a nicer negatrait than wild animal (with the slight exception of tz issues) higher av....and no risk of 'wasting(?) doubles on mutations over block.
sk8bcn

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2005 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

because he do not have them, so he know they are more unreliable
Arcon

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2005 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Mino best fits on a Chaos team. I like that WA (well, sometimes I hate it...), Horns for blitzing BG or 3d block with 1 assist. Frenzy is great if used carefully. It kind of makes the field narrower for your opponent, being able to crowd push. And the WA does not loose tackle zones.

On the other side, if you really do not wish to use your BG much, I´d go for a troll, beeing the best LOS fodder
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2005 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Minos USED to be the best, but now their just awful by comparison to ogres and trolls. Yes, they do have frenzy, but 8 armor is MUCH easier to break than 9 armor, and wild animal is much MUCH worse than bonehead or really stupid. Although it is true that you don't lose tackle zones, 1/2 of the time you can't move with the little bugger either. Unfortinately with the loss of general skills for all big guys, the first double you get will almost always go towards block, the same as an ogre or troll will get. The odds are you won't roll another double on the minotaur, but for arguements sake, the next most important skil is probably pro, so the minotaur can actually move if hes not blitzing (still don't know why he's too angry to hit someone next to him) or even stand up. So generally the first 2 doubles that you would want on minotaurs will be general skills, - much like an ogre or a troll, just with less armor. Any minotaur with mutations before block will generally die VERY quickly, because av8 is so easy to cut through.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2005 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I never had a chaos team. I don't like the way mutations are applied. They should be chosen random, as the ways of chaos gods are unpredictable. Greater daemons as big guys would be fine too. Twisted Evil

Ironik

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2005 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Uhm my experience as a fighter of Chaos team shows me that Mino are more a source of pain to the own coach rather then the enemy coach...all the times the mino went killed, bh or koed during the first turn...
Ogre is slightly more controlloable, but troll has regeneration which is rather good.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2005 - 10:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Minos keep their tackle zone. This is by far the greatest advantage compared to Troll and Ogre.

Minos rule.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2005 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

MINO MINO MINO:) I Love the minotaur! He is the best laugh for your buck big guy:) Too much fun in one angry blood thirsty killing machine package.

the Mino is the most fun bigguy, so IMO is the best. The Troll comes a close second. Ogres are just too damn reliable..........
Diarmuid

Post   Posted: Feb 11, 2005 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a troll fan, best line fodder that 100k can buy. Keeps my more important players safe and sound, more or less, which is reason enough to play him. They are dumb, but better the troll than a warrior of even a beastman with some skills. ( Refering to it dying ont he line or some such)

My two cents.
zenemuse

Post   Posted: Apr 27, 2005 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is the way most people play Mino's under the new rules. Most people i've played against want to put them on the line, and have them bash like crazy... but this tends to get you in trouble with WA, no access to general w/o a doubble, and a av of 8.

Personally, i think the best place for a Mino is the back field. He becomes a threat to anyone who breaks past your initial defense... throw tenticles on him if you roll a doubble and he can tie up any two average str players, without having to throw a block.

Even without tenticles, frenzy makes him a threat to push players out of bounds, forcing them to stay away from the sides of the pitch, and usually making them more accessable to other more reliable blitzers up the middle. I generally like to keep my mino in the back field with one other beastie. It works even better when that beastie has FA, Pass block, or Frenzy. Two players able to dominate the back of the pitch in case something bad happens.

Chaos has enough bash/av to support a good front line against most teams without needing a big guy up there too.
 Jump to: