24 coaches online • Server time: 04:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GorbadIronclaw

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2018 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I am relatively new to FUMBBL and I love it. I agree with IGVY's comments and I would be happy to pay for a better quality client.
bbcanariobb

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2018 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't go through the 13 pages of this thread, so I'm not sure if someone has talked about enabling different languages in fumbbl. I'm from Spain and I know quite a lot of people abandon fumbbl because they couldn't understand and navigate the site.

I have no idea of how difficult could be to program different languages in the game, and maybe it is so complicated/time consuming that it doesn't worth a try. But I would like to help translating if they decided to do it, and I'm sure there is a considerable community of spanish and italian people playing fumbbl that could help too.

Finally, I want to thank the one/ones that created this site. It is amazing the way it is now and I enjoy it more than Cyanide game. I can not imagine what they would do if they had half the money and the people than Cyanide has. I hope to be able to contribute to support this site.
Strider84

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2018 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

As a long time fumbbler im also playing cyanide bb2 regularly. Bb1 was too buggy and incomplete, bb2 is now pretty solid and playable. Pros and cons:

Blackbox activation

Champions ladder gets u usually a game every 5 min vs fumbbl blackbox 15 min activation. Obvious due to player base, not much we can do except maybe merge divisions which is a different topic

Ranked activation

Not really available in bb2

League games

Fumbbl: big long running leagues with some options on rules
Secret league with reasonable traffic
Stunty leauge

Bb2: reasonable size leagues especially on non english speaking communities. E.g. the German league has 100+ players vs 30 here

Remote league and team mgmt:

Fumbbl: everything in browser, which is great for any time access via phone
Bb2: some acccess vua web to stats and teams, no team creation manipulation possible

Game time:

Fumbbl 45-90 min
Bb2 75-120 min

I think this is a big plus for fumbbl

Usability of client:

Both need to get used to. Fumbbl has no time limit to reconnect, games can be finished a different day

Replays:

Way better in fumbbl as skipping step by step. Bb2 possible but a bit annoying.
Also easyier to find on fumbbl

Spectating:

Great on fumbbl even interactive
In bb2 possible but msinly replaced throug streaming

Tourney scene:

Fumbbl: rrr, majors, minors, xfl, naf, black box trophy.
some fluff through painstate/organizers
Some in game rewards
Up to 100 specs for major final

Bb2: champions ladder, world cup, some cash and natural prizes.
Some fluff by streamers mainly
Up to 1000 specs on world cup final on stream, maybe 200 on champions cup final?

I think here we need to invest in the fluff again to make it more attractive

Community

Fummbl: mainly discord and forums, great involvement
Bb2: mainly driven through streamers and leagues

Opposition:
Level of play in bb2 has almost caught up to fumbbl, especially since matchmaking in champ ladder factors in win rate now.

New players:
I guess its easier for non blood bowl players to start with bb2, tabletop players should be our main audience.

So essentially in my view:

Invest in fluff, the tournament scene, maybe do some more youtubing for that or some more shiny badges. Keep the community alive and get all your tabletop friends on board.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2018 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

On BB2 as far as I know Piling On is still enabled, this is a mega drawback.
koadah

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2018 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

BB2 has no Secret League Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2018 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
On BB2 as far as I know Piling On is still enabled, this is a mega drawback.

Good point, but that only r and b specific.

Also, the Wiz is still available

There are also some stadium upgrades which can nullify pitch invasion and riot and other more silly stuff
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2018 - 21:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Why isn't FUMBBL growing - so many reasons I don't know where to start. You mentioned the major points anyway. Maybe let's add that some of the people here expect n00bs to know everything and roll their eyes at most of the questions/suggestions... luckily there are some friendly ones who patiently give normal answers to questions.

Rule 1: Never tell everything you know.
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2018 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

bbcanariobb wrote:
I didn't go through the 13 pages of this thread, so I'm not sure if someone has talked about enabling different languages in fumbbl. I'm from Spain and I know quite a lot of people abandon fumbbl because they couldn't understand and navigate the site.

I have no idea of how difficult could be to program different languages in the game, and maybe it is so complicated/time consuming that it doesn't worth a try. But I would like to help translating if they decided to do it, and I'm sure there is a considerable community of spanish and italian people playing fumbbl that could help too.

Finally, I want to thank the one/ones that created this site. It is amazing the way it is now and I enjoy it more than Cyanide game. I can not imagine what they would do if they had half the money and the people than Cyanide has. I hope to be able to contribute to support this site.

That's a good point, and something I don't often think about. I noticed the "Site Rules" help page is translated into several different languages. Presumably all the pages could be translated, and updated as the wiki can be edited by any coach - would take some work though.

[edit] ah, I see now you're probably referring to the FFB client itself
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Apr 11, 2018 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm doing the only thing I know how to do. I taught a bunch of my mates how to play, now I'm running a tabletop league. It's about half my friends and about half people who signed up after hearing about it through (very limited) advertising and word of mouth. My Underworld are 7-0-0, and whenever anybody asks how I got so good, I direct them here. A couple of them have made accounts, but none have stuck yet. There's still plenty of time.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 04:46 Reply with quote Back to top

How about a league for noobs with high-TV human and orc teams, prerolled?

I'm pretty new to this: 30 something games on BB2 on Xbox and currently 89% lose rate on Fumbbl from 9 games.

For a new player, low TV is really miserable; you don't understand assists and tacklezones, and you probably lack many players with Block, so it feels like more often than not every block you do ends up with your player on the floor.

On BB2 I just had to grind through 10 or 15 losses until I had enough SPP through MVPs to have a stronger team. So that wasn't a very fun approach. But BB2 also let's you play from the start with high-TV teams in the tutorial / campaign mode.

Pros and cons to this. You can certainly argue that if you don't go through the pain of a fragile, low TV team you won't understand why assists and placement are so important, but BB is hard: giving a noob a higher TV team doesn't guarantee they'll win, but it alleviates some of the less-fun experience that might turn you off early on. Rookie coaches with incompetent teams have a sucky time. Rookie coaches with a good team have more fun, and probably more likely to carry on. Similar to if you play Forza or GT on the consoles: you get one taste of a Ferrari at the start, and then you are more likely to grind through with a Ford Focus, knowing if you put the effort in you'll eventually get the good stuff.

Or you'll end up playing Goblins and like it.

Community is the other big appeal of fumbbl to me over BB2, but again, being new to discord made things confusing for me - do I go there? do I look in these forums? - so making guides for rookies more obvious on the Fumbbl homepage would help.

Last edited by MrCushtie on Sep 20, 2018 - 09:07; edited 1 time in total
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to play FUMBBL exclusively and eschewed Cyanides clients (even after picking them up in Steam sales). Having played the Cyanide clients a bit more now that all teams are implemented (but not Chaos Pact for some reason) and found some fun leagues, actually it's quite good. I still play on both, but increasingly I just enjoy the graphics, the Twitch aspects of watching games and some well organised Leagues (particularly REBBL). Also on FUMBBL in the Australasian league SWL we have been trialing out the new "Seasons" aspect of Blood Bowl. So far I am ambivalent at best with regards to Seasons and don't know how to feel about them. They seem a bit complicated and are putting me off to be honest.

Basically, if you think Cyanide is crap and FUMBBL has no contest, frankly you are living in the past. I respect all the work that FUMMBL has done and enjoyment over the years I've had as one of the earlier members but its really going to struggle competing with Cyanides client.

Just my several cents worth.

Oscar Wilde
Garion

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

The only problem is the size of the client. But this is being worked on. The window is currently too small for monitors these days.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I am sure Cyanide is a very good platform to play Blood Bowl. Comments from Fumbblers playing there are increasingly positive once they go deeper in knowing that platform. Without doubt, Cyanide has had an important impact on Fumbbl shrinking players base numbers.

However, i like it here. FUMBBL offers me what i need. Custom rosters leagues, spec from mobile devices (work in progress but already operative), NAF tourneys, close community (discord being a briliant addition)...

These features are unique and they should guarantee that Fumbbl keep its niche and survival. Therefore, further developments in those areas should have a very good impact on Fumbbl future.

The only downside i see in Fumbbl is, in my opinion, the web layout. It seems to me to be a bit difficult to navigate through it if you are new to the site.

Anyway, long life to Fumbbl!
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
BB2 has no Secret League Mr. Green

+1

Secret League is probably one of the biggest plusses FUMBBL has over Cyanide these days. It would be great to see it have its own division and perhaps be a little more visible, especially to newcomers.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
bghandras

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2018 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Draft leagues! League customization! Long live fumbbl!