59 coaches online • Server time: 19:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

So very often, a coach asks a question or begins a post on the forum. Innocent, he just wants an answer or to begin a discussion. However, frequently said coach gets absolutely blasted and rudely insulted for not having performed a search for previous answers/posts along the same topic. As a third party, I dislike this lack of respect and manners, and realize it could turn off the original poster from asking future questions or engaging in other discussions.

Therefore, this post is an instruction on how to avoid some of these pitfalls. Coaches already fluent in forum searching, go ahead and move on to the next post in your reading list. Please do not leave disparaging remarks or insults about "this thread wasted my time" while you further waste your oh-so-precious time in responding in the first place.

Ok, for anybody still with me and wanting to learn: at the top of the Fumbbl Forum Index is a series of options, the second one reading Search. When you click to this link, you are asked to provide specific keywords for the search program to look for. For example, I want to start a discussion regarding making mutations randomly selected, to cut down on the prevalence of claw/rsc and lack of some of the "lesser" mutations like extra arms or prehensile tail. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, so I open the search function of the forum, and type in the keywords "random mutation" and click "search" at center bottom...

...and OMG, there are 387 results which match my query! It'll take m hours to read through all of them to see if any applies! The heck with that...I'll just post new anyway, pissing off a bunch of angry posters just waiting for a chance to insult me...

...or wait, there's ways to narrow the search parameters! When I go back to the search page, underneith the keywords line are the options to search for any of the terms (meaning any post which contains either "random" OR "mutation" will appear on the results page), or search for all terms (so only posts that have "random" AND "mutation" will appear). Clicking this button and trying search again narrows the field drastically...only 7 results this time! Now I can read through the first couple posts in each topic to see if it includes the information I want...and the closest one is this one.

Voila! Instead of ticking others off, I just spent 30 seconds to search the forum past-topics using the handy search function and found what I wanted. If I wanted, I could resurrect this old post if I read it and have something to add, or maybe I'll find the answer I seek. If you're looking for answers, the chat is usually far faster to get an answer anyway, and though some people will still be rude, the community will usually denounce the rude one immediately, making you feel not so alone. Happy posting (and searching)!

BTW...I for one would LOVE to have random mutations for my skaven! I would gladly take whatever came my way--it adds to the fluff! Smile

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Whew! Well, thank God you managed to get through all that without resorting to sarcasm.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Bump. TY.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I second this.

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

um.. It's been stickied... Maybe lock this one to, Jack?

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

no need to atm.. imho..

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

h? h? CandleJack? Wink

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

This topic has been done to death! Talk about flogging a dead donkey. Thanks for wasting my time!

...Someone had to Wink

Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: May 13, 2005 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

if the other is sticky then delete this one Wink
I am to lazy too atm ^^

Jump to: