12 coaches online • Server time: 07:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2024 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

New Vampire roster has been out for a few months, here's some thoughts on what works against them

Read Vampire Strategy here first: https://fumbbl.com/help:BB20VampireStrategy

Vampires can be amazing, they have so much potential
But potential alone doesn't win games. They need to roll loads of dice to make it work.
When the dice are against them, they'll kill their own players and collapse into misery and failure spiral.
When the dice are with them, they are unstoppable and can achieve outrageous plays

Some specific anti vamp advice:

- A simple cage isn't enough. You want defence-in-depth. This is either 2 layers of screen to the ball, or a screen in front of your cage

- Keep fairly compact, as overlapping tacklezones help

- A solid wall can't be Gazed past. This will only be useful really if you're turtled with the ball in their endzone corner

- When they don't have the ball, Vampires will probably want to attack it every turn. Evaluate where and how they can get to the ball, and which of your players they'll Gaze to do so

- Vampire team has at most 4x Gazes they can trigger on Bloodlust 2+
They'll also want a Vampire to do a Blitz, and ideally another to escape with the ball. Also, Vampires will often be out of position due to Gazing something last turn.
This all puts an upper cap on how many Gazes you're gonna need to deal with each turn

- Hunt the Thralls for easy CAS, but take hits on Vampires if convienient. Especially if they don't have block/dodge/sidestep, which will happen if they fail Bloodlust and then don't have their tacklezones

- The Runners are juicy targets for Fouls, taking them out eliminates their 1-turn scoring possibilities

- Vampires start strong but they fade very quick over the match as they run out of rerolls and out of Thralls, so you can try to not fall too far behind, then win or at least draw in 2nd half

- Vampires will often just score in 2 turns and go back to defence (defence = offence for vamps as they're not defending your drive, they're attacking the ball)

- You can make it a bit harder for them to 2turn by setting up wide, eg chevrons, but don't allow them to surf you

- If they have frenzy, don't cage near the sideline. Be careful about setting up near the sideline

- Sidestep or Stand Firm won't save you from being surfed

- Falling back deep in your half on your drive for a few turns, forces the Vampires to come to you. This costs them activations, which potentially means bitten Thralls, or Vampires losing their tacklezones
If they don't move forward, you are spared the attacks for a a few turns
The longer you can force them to run around, without giving a shot on the ball, the more it will cost them
Jan-Erik

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2024 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, I can now beat vampires.
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2024 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Jan-Erik wrote:
Thanks, I can now beat vampires.

oh you dont' need suggestion Jan-Erik, but you could instead contribute to this post (or to the strategy page) with some advice since you are a really experienced coach with the new vampires, as the great BT9 result proves
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?id=1143898

Thanks in advance!

Post   Posted: Feb 02, 2024 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

wish i had seen this before i playes Baza's super vamps Razz
Klunker

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2024 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

If you’re playing bash teams (relying on removals, e.g. any of the chaos races) against vamps, you‘re facing a dilemma:
While this statement is absolutely true (“A simple cage isn't enough. You want defence-in-depth. This is either 2 layers of screen to the ball, or a screen in front of your cage“) it also requires you to throw your own gameplan out of the window.
Staying back and screening vastly reduces the number of blocks thrown.

I haven’t play-tested this sufficiently, but in theory, I would try to defend first - hoping for the vamps to use some RRs and score early (e.g. T3 or 4; vamps are not as potent as elves with regard to withdrawn offense). The RRs are critical here. Once the vamps are short on RRs they might not be able to mount a strong defense against your drive. And they will only have one chance (not 2) to recover their KOs.

In the second half, the vamps should hopefully be down a couple of players.
The vamps‘ real superpower in this matchup is regeneration: Even if the bash team’s gameplan is executed perfectly, a few timely regen rolls can thwart any of their efforts.
Klunker

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2024 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Rules question:
If I zap! a piece with regen and then badly hurt him, can he still regenerate and return to the game?
(I know that no apos can be used on zaped pieces.)
RDaneel

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2024 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Klunker wrote:
Rules question:
If I zap! a piece with regen and then badly hurt him, can he still regenerate and return to the game?
(I know that no apos can be used on zaped pieces.)

For me a frog is a frog . Don’t have memory of what was before
If SI/KILLED/BH should go in the BH box.
If not this means that the frog inherit the regen trait which afaik is not the case

Post   Posted: Feb 03, 2024 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest just playing and playing against vamps instead of trying to do a 1,2,3 play against em.