62 coaches online • Server time: 19:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LordSnotball

Post   Posted: May 31, 2005 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Necromunda is fun, but not really possible to play online, checked that b4 finding bloodbowl here... there's a computer game called countdown or something like that which is based on gangs shooting each other up, never got my hands on it tho...

Warhammer40k is a lovely world, very impressive, and very vague. one of the beauties of the 2nd ed was that you could also play small scale skirmishes for a few hrs instead of a full scale battle. the modern editions are tailored to have larger quantities of troops, which also allows less space for tactical flexibility, and the rulebooks tend to overlap etc... GW rules normally do...

Warhammer fantasy was my favourite, we stopped playing with magic altogether and had loads of fun...

however, the biggest problem is that as they release new minis, they prohibit older versions of the minis to appear in the tournaments. next BB competition you hear of, it will say 'new human miniatures' and if anyone shows up with the old plastic ones, well, they don't get to play. and they often change the errata from one print of a book to another, which could be catastrophic in gameplay in a tournament again... a small typo from 2+ to 4+ could mean a whole battle, and they don't announce these changes for a long time after its in print...

personally i'd recommend the game warzone if it still exists. it is a futuristic game with corporations having it out in order to claim possession over asteroids and abandoned planets, as well as espionage, sabotage etc. of course, we played thing in a campaign style rather than strictly gameplay, but that was part of the flexibility of the game. and the beautiful thing was that you could play small scale battles, as well as large scale ones... however, the warzone community is small.

tbh, its an argument like 'what's better, an apple mac or a pc?' the answer is: depends on the community. if ppl near you play warhammer 40k, its the thing to start. don't become interested in a game no1 else plays... it'll be a lonely experience

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
DM

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 06:19 Reply with quote Back to top

WARMACHINE is better than Warzone IMHO - it's more adaptable for small or large games. You can play 'boxed set' games of WARMACHINE with only 3 - 5 models and it's as much fun as full scale battles...
Rumplestiltskin

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Necromunda is a fantastic game. It's a little more involved than Blood Bowl since you'll have to put together lots of industrial scenery for a good game, and you'll probably want to convert your gangers as they improve and change equipment. However, it isn't nearly as demanding time or money-wise as 40k.
The best part is, you get to play in the REALLY COOL 40k universe. I mentioned this before, but just in case anyone missed it: the 40k fluff is REALLY REALLY COOL (maybe excepting the Tau, but they aren't on Necromunda, so it doesn't even matter in this case).
Necro isn't quite as balanced as BB is, but that's the spirit of the game anyway. Download the Necro LRB and have a browse. I recommend ignoring the nonsensical 'House-Weapons List'.

cheers
Rumple
Penix

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

So, i'm not mad as I see...

I thought nobody played it since in a GW shop of valencia didn't have anything and told me to order it through the online store.

Respect the game, i find it less funy than BB (just a bit), but the sequence after battles i think is quite better Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

heh

I walked into a GW to get someone to help me base my BB minis properly, but there were some kids and some obviously single 40ish men playing 40k and WFB. they were (shouting) " you only get 6 dice instead of 8!!!!!" or something along those lines and not a pleasant sight and as a result i only go into GW when i have to and i will never play 40k or wfb. Those two games seem a lot more competitive than BB which is a lot more laid back and the players are a lot more laid back as well

Shep, Id be more inclined to go with Necromunda. You save money and means you can use the money to buy more BB teams (hopefully i can complete my collection soon! Smile)
Guzzrot_the_Belly

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Suprised that no-ones raised GorkaMorka, another variation on "build a gang/team/mob". Played a few times and had some great fun, but it kind of died off at some point.
Ironik

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Gorka Morka was a sunny spin off which DIED full stop some time ago for GW more tactically inclined there is the Epic which is quite uhm tactical... Well, it is more nice.
If you have a thing against GW (which is only right and justifiable) Urban Mammoth produces (after having bought out I kore) Void battle system. Btw doeas anyone remember WARZONE?
mitzufuss

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with the general opinion that Necromunda is a great game. It keeps most of the old 2nd edition rules of 40k has gang develpoment, the rules are free, and you can always glue guns onto your plastic BB humans and call 'em Van Saars.

I also liked Gorkamorka and Inquistor.

I have played Warmachine- its a good game, could use rules on how to build your own jack and variations on equipment for troops.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, Necromunda and Gorkamorka had been nice games. I haven't played my Cawdor Gang and Ratskin Renegades for long now.

vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 23:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Apropos Gorkamorka: wasn't there a Mad Max style car race game from GW long ago?

ChrisB

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2005 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah that would be dark future a great great game - complicated but brilliant - if you liked mad max then this ones for you. They do appear on ebay form time to time....
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2005 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Future was indeed very cool. I picked up a copy, the supplement, extra tracks and some extra cars for about $30 about two years ago on eBay. Very good stuff.

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2005 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Necromunda is really cool.

I pushed hard for GorkaMorka, but it didn't seem to catch the interest of my fellow gamers. (What can be better than Orks in scruffy vehicles pounding each other for some 'teef'?)

If you want more tactic than luck, go for WFB. But you'll find powergamers everywhere...

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2005 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

All my memories of 40k and WFB centre around the 15 year-old me/my friends suddenly "remembering" game saving secret/magic weapons and waaaay too many instances of creative accounting on the points costings - which probably makes me too biased against them - but it was mostly competitive and bitter arguing, not like the (mostly) relaxed world of BB at all. It got to me so much in WFB that I decided to exclusively play skaven - that way I could just laugh as my rats poured warpfire all over each over, the doomwheel careered into my stormvermin, the screaming bell cracked into earthquakes and all the skavenslaves ran away.

Aside from the comedy skaven joy, all the fun of WFB/40k seemed to be in the making of the army. The actual <i>playing</i> never lived up to the hype. . .

Jump to: