41 coaches online • Server time: 18:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2003 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Rimmer wrote:
How you came to the conclution of one treemen being on the pitch (first half) in 75% of the cases I do not know. But that is utterly wrong since the dice roll is 50%.

No such conclusion was made, read it again. What I said was that a treeman will play for 75% of all of the games his is in, not make the first half 75% of the time. This accounts for him missing 50% of 50% of his games.

The Finishing Touch
sceadeau

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2003 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Rimmer wrote:
About the treemen díscussion.

First of all I am an mathematician so trust me that this is correct:

For a single treeman:
You have a 50% dice roll to field him the first half.

For 2 treemen:
Each treeman has a 50% dice roll of playing the first half.
This means that you have 4 different outcomes of the dice rolls:
(Succes-Succes), (Succes-failure), (Failure-Succes), (Failure-Failure) each of these four combination has the same probobility (i.e. 25%).

So to conclude:
1 Treeman is on pitch (first half) in 50% of the cases.

2 Treemen: 25% of the time you have them both, 25% of the time you have 0 and 50% of the time you have 1 (during the first half).

How you came to the conclution of one treemen being on the pitch (first half) in 75% of the cases I do not know. But that is utterly wrong since the dice roll is 50%.

As has been stated multiple times...this math is so blindingly easy, an 8th grader could figure it out. Each treeman must be taken seperately.

A niggled played plays 5/6th of the time, mathematically. A double niggled player plays 5/6th of 5/6th of the time, so therefore, a niggled player's strength is discounted (5/6)^n, where n = number of niggles.

A treeman has only two possible outcomes when it rolls at the beginning. Either it will play for both halfs (100% of the game) or for the second half (50%) of the game. There is an equal chance per roll for it to miss the first half, and will always be there the second. Therefore, a treeman is discounted 3/4 of strength, as it will be on the pitch for 3/4 of your turns (on average, which is the only way to work out a global str formula).

The problem I have with most people and bloodbowl is that everything thinks it all depends on the die rolls. The die rolls don't matter, mathematically. It doesn't matter if you roll a 1 for take root, or a 6. What matters is what you should statistically roll over the life of the team.
It's a little like poker...you can win or lose each hand, but you should be playing for the statistical long term.
Falc

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2003 - 04:37 Reply with quote Back to top

You're all correct, it's just that you're not talking about the same thing.

Rimmer correctly points out that your treeman will only play 50% of all FIRST halves. The rest otoh is talking about how much time a Treeman could spend on the field on average over many games. 'Could spend' because of course injuries and tactics might dictate otherwise, but that number is indeed 75%.
Rimmer

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2003 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
No such conclusion was made, read it again. What I said was that a treeman will play for 75% of all of the games his is in, not make the first half 75% of the time. This accounts for him missing 50% of 50% of his games.

A treeman will play 100% of all games. But he will only play an average of 75% of the gametime of all games. It is a big difference and that is why I misinterpreted you.
Pardus

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2003 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

the throw-ra and blitz-ra are calculated for when they still had ag3

simple
HunterX

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2003 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

That would lower the TS even further if corrected! Wow. Surprised

Jump to: