21 coaches online • Server time: 05:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is it appropriate to post retirements in Obituaries?
Yes -- why not?
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
No -- dead people only
78%
 78%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 32

HollowOne

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anybody else find it inappropriate and illogical to post an announcement of the retirement of a player in the Obituaries?

Obituaries are for dead people; when I click through those threads, I expect to find grizzly deaths, tales of woe and pain, or just plain bad luck. I don't expect to find a story about ol' Gramps retiring because he's rather toothless after his fifth niggling injury.

I'm fine with seeing News articles for it. Just NOT in Obituaries.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a quick question before I can answer this. If you retire a player can he come back from retirement or is he gone from the game?

If he can come back then not in obituaries.

If he can not come back then it is really the same thing, this player will no longer be in the game after a glorious career. Shocked
Qaz

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I am guessing that this one just cam up cause I just posted a retierment under Obituaries. Yes if it was the real world Obituaries would be for the dead people only. But I wana morn a retierment just as mutch as a Death. Either way he does not play any more BB. So where should we else post retierments? should we have a seperat sections just for that. I think not.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

He can't -- but I find it inappropriate on the grounds of the purpose of Obituaries.

By all means, regret the retirement of a glorious career anywhere else you wish; News Articles, whichever. But Obituaries is -- by definition -- where you see dead people. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
Well I am guessing that this one just cam up cause I just posted a retierment under Obituaries. Yes if it was the real world Obituaries would be for the dead people only. But I wana morn a retierment just as mutch as a Death. Either way he does not play any more BB. So where should we else post retierments? should we have a seperat sections just for that. I think not.

Still, it's not an obituary. I have no complaints against your news article, but the purpose of Obituaries is not to mourn retirement; it is to mourn dead players. It says so on the forum's description.

Edit note: As to your question, "So where should we else post retierments?", I think the most appropriate place is General Chat. Because, in my opinion, a legend retirement thread is just that -- general. Very Happy

Last edited by HollowOne on %b %22, %2005 - %18:%Sep; edited 2 times in total
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted "dead players only".

If you die on the pitch you deserve a special place where everyone will come and pray for your soul (if you are a human lino) or where they can spit on your grave (if you are a wardancer or a mutated Chaos Warrior).

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Maby it should be moved. I just thought of it as a the place to post about players not taking the pitch any more for what ever reason... Next glorius retierment will be under news.

the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Qaz

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

anyways go and write some thing nice to Fulgurant. He needs the comfort after retierment after all BB was all he knew and all he lived for. and now he is sitting in a home for Elderly peopel scratching his back with way to long nails

the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Macavity

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted yes, because arguing with HollowOne is my new favourite thing to do!

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:26 Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, Qaz, this is not a personal finger-pointing at you; it's something that's happened before and thus it was a trend I wanted to address.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, I would vote "Macavity" once more, but sadly the option is missing from the poll Wink
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The obituaries are for fluff. So posting a retirement seems misplaced.
Well, if the coach spices up the story with some fluff - perhaps how the retiring player shot himself with a repeating crossbow, died drinking too much bugmans XXXXX or something else - then it would fit.
A retired player who stays (virtually) alive, may be a source for fluff, too. Nonetheless such stuff would be misplaced in the obituaries section.

MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 21:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Dead players smell funny.

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have to vote with HollowOne on this: Retirement belongs in the News section, not Obituaries. Obituaries should be for great players who somehow found their doom on the pitch (or, I suppose, in the stands), preferably accompanied by a nice sotry about their demise.

While we may miss retired players, they tend to represent someone who aged or was finally injured to the point that, although they could keep playing, their coach decided the team would be better off without them. Basically: Obituaries are for the dead. News articles would be more appropriate for those a coach retired by choice.

And Mr. Mojo - Dead clowns smell funny. Dead players smell bad! (unless they died during a halfling game - then they smell delicious!

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2005 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem I see is this: people complain already about "useless news stories" instead of news on upcoming tournaments. Now you're saying give a news article about a retired legend, which isn't good enough for posting in the obits?

I voted yes, but just b/c there isn't anywhere else good to put them. I vote for creating a "retired legends" forum, where you can post retirements of legends ONLY. Having created 4 legends in my time here, I grew attached to each one, and having to retire was like watching a child graduate from school and move on. (Ok, I have kids of my own, and it's nowhere near as intense, but you get hte picture.) I want some place to commemorate their achievements, and if not in the obits...?

Jump to: