14 coaches online • Server time: 05:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bacillen

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 05:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wondering how many other people seem to only get games wasted by technical failure at the other end when they're winning big...only to have the annoyance at this compounded by the same team's next few games being as trashed by evil dice as they blessed with perfect technical function.

This sad story has killed off two some of my favourite teams now..
Tank

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 06:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Subtle as a well-thrown brick.

Bacillen, we've all had it occur at some stage unfortunately.
Best you can do is report it to the admins when it happens, either in Irc or a support ticket.
Though to my knowledge not much can be done about it really.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I didn't mean to imply too heavily that the technical malfunctions may have had a human cause. I admit it always has to look like it but I'm still thinking I'm pretty unlucky with this one.

I was just ranting because when it happens to me I'm always winning.
And then for some nasty concidental reason that same team I was having such a good time with dies a tragic spiked-dice freaky nuffledeath* in their next few games. First turn rerolled double-skull self-fatalities are extremely likely to turn up at such a juncture, for example (which did in fact happen to a Roo Boxers lineman vs. some wood elves after a 3-0 win over InZanity's skaven techdied in turn 2-7).

This highly reliable angered-nuffle consequence of games lost to technical failure is just awful bad luck...not somethin' I my crying to the admins about could help (rumours of special admin client notwithstanding).

* in most cases this is defined as getting heavily out-casualtied by wood elf teams as orcs or as chaos (of course outscored too but this is expected against woodies).
Direwolf

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well....

..since in a game is not uncommon to have a winner and a loser, I think that when a technical failure happens there is fairly often somebody that has something to gain from that and somebody who has something to lose.

Usually, the one who has to lose gets to decide what happens next (when that happens to me I always try get back to my opponent and do exactly what he asks of me...).
Usually, if the opponent is magnanimous ("ok... no problems, let's call it a game") Nuffle procceeds to exact vengeance on him during his next games.. but this is part of a more complex behaviour from BBowl's fickle god.

Here are some examples, all coming from PERSONAL experience.

- you badly lose a match. Then you do another and badly lose that too... so you tell yourself "I gotta try and win one". So you find a very easy match (did I hear the word "cherrypicking"?). And in that match you roll NEARLY ONLY skulls and your team gets trashed.

- In your first match with your ogre team you go beyond your wildest dreams. SEVEN casualties and two touchdowns... but the admins tell you that your opponent has made a VOLUNTARILY suicide match. So you decide to retire your team annd start with a new one. Nuffle in and you do the WORST match of all the season.

- Your computer crashes down, but you manage to reload the game in which your STR 4 werewolf was killed. Then you do another game in which you suffer no damage, your computer crashes down and this time the hard disk burn and you can't reload the game.

-You start to suffer from "surgical luck". That means for example that you block and dodge fairly normally but you do ALWAYS (I mean, for the duration of ALL the match) 1's when attempting to get the ball.

-The classical one: you use your apoth on a -av injury and you then immediately get a RIP on your best player.

I can continue, if you like...
odi

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I for one was the one who was having technical difficulties yesterday, I was badly losing to a skaven team with my gobbo's, but at some point my client started disconnecting. After 2 more reloads, I told my oppo that I'll try to reboot my ADSL box and my FW (seems the D-Links FW has to be rebooted every couple of months), so I reboot the boxes, and we reload. I still continue to have some problems with the client, and all of the sudden my connection went down totally... I started wondering what's wrong, and there was no signal coming into my ADSL box, and I started to worry that my oppo might start thinking that I might be trying to dodge him (even though there wasn't really any reason, only 1 SI'd and 1 Ripped gobbo so far (almost all the rest of my team was safe in the KO and BH boxes)...

After a few minutes my connection came back again, and we reloaded again, and I started thinking that if we would still have problems with my client discoing, I might just conceed, since I was thinking it was unfair for my oppo to have to wait since I had some trouble at my end, the only reason I didn't want to conceed was that I had a 80spp troll, which I didn't want to lose.

Luckily we managed to finish the game. And I'd like to thank InZanity for his patience with my network probs, even though he must have been worried at some point that I might try to bail out of the game Smile

I've been trying to figure out what happened yesterday with my line, and all I can think of is Peikko doing a DoS attack on me, because a couple of days back I suggested a new stunty team to him =D
Direwolf

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe this is the right tread to ask input about your HD getting fried and you not able to recover the save files (the DAT and the INC ones). What you do in such cases?
peikko

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Odi wrote:
and all I can think of is Peikko doing a DoS attack on me, because a couple of days back I suggested a new stunty team to him =D

Naah, I have better plan, axe and coming to your house breaking every computer and modem in the house Razz
odi

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

peikko wrote:

Naah, I have better plan, axe and coming to your house breaking every computer and modem in the house Razz

Be afraid, I know where you live... =D
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2005 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Direwolf wrote:
Well....
you badly lose a match. Then you do another and badly lose that too... so you tell yourself "I gotta try and win one". So you find a very easy match (did I hear the word "cherrypicking"?). And in that match you roll NEARLY ONLY skulls and your team gets trashed.

I hear you brother it happened to me too, untill I started cherrypicking better. Now I only play girls. BUAHAHAHAHA!

(disclaimer: By girls, I don't mean a specific gender)

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2005 - 02:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Playing a game against Virral. On the 8th turn of the second half we realize that our screens are not in sync (after a recent restart). He had already lost two players to death and one SI. On the very last turn of the game, he cries foul- the game is not valid and refuses to finish. By the time the admins get around to letting him know that he should finish the game, he has already played another game with the team. I suggested a forced concession on his part. He would still get away with 2 dead players coming back to life. The admins tell me there is nothing they can do.
2+ hours flushed down the toilet.

Sorry for the sour grapes, but this experience (not the first of this kind) has brought me to the conclusion that I'm pretty much done with blood bowl, except against friends that I know.
 Jump to: