45 coaches online • Server time: 18:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hunter

Post   Posted: Feb 20, 2007 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Query: If I were interested in rejoining NWL with my previous team (from seasons 1 & 2... Something Skinks in Here), would I be able to join this round, and how would I go about doing so? I got booted from the group after I indicated I couldn't participate in the third season, so I don't know if I could rejoin with my lizards (who have not played any games outside of NWL) or if I need to start a new team, or if I'm wanted at all (no one sent me an invite Sad). Razz

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm, well since I rejoined with my status intact, it should be open for discussion.

Oh and as far as the jibberish from the draft goes, Da_Tod will send out a PM stating who got what team. We have a few things left to do, but traditionally we copy and paster the record of the draft so there is no funny business.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh that's why I was thinking there were two Lizard teams.. I hadn't noticed that Hunter's Skinks had been dropped. I'm all for allowing a return if Hunter has the time now.

Although I want to retroactively protest allowing Celas back in! Wink
Smeat

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a little irked at being asked to submit a Draft List, and carefully looking at the listed "open" teams, only then to have those teams close out after my list was submitted. All good for those being allowed back in and given preference, but not quite kosher for those newbs whose lists got screwed.

But I've still grabbed the stinky end of the stick as offered, and we'll see how it all works out. (But I'd suggest that "re-admission" process maybe should be formalized, somehow, to avoid same in the future.)

Also, looking at the text of the IRC Draft, the whole "well, what we need right now is X, but then the later coaches can take what they want" just isn't right. The Draft has the potential to figure out the order, then look at the whole of the lists, and see how far off the balance is. The idea of tossing a coach to the end of the list because their first two choices doesn't work seems... flawed.

Here's an alternative:
    1) You roll the draft order.
    2) Everyone gets their 1st pick, until there are no more of that available.
    2.1) If we know there will be more than 2 of some teams, then 1st pick determines those extras.
    3) Then everyone gets their 2nd pick, in order.
    4) etc etc for 3rd, 4th, etc.
    5) At some point, no coach will have listed teams that are desired to add.

At this point, you either a) blow it off and give them their last pick, in reverse order of preference, such that there are no more than 3 of any 1 team, or b) ask them for their next favorite picks, risking finding new coaches. (Reverse order does not reward those who pick the most favorite teams, but lose the draft roll.)
Obviously, demanding 3 each of Bash, Ball and In-between on the list would be a wise option.

Better imo, would be a more labor-intensive approach that would involve far less dice, and a simple process similar to one commonly used for political votes. In this, all submissions are added up, and the LEAST favorite is given to the Coach that favors them highest (ie, if only 1 person lists Khemri, they get them; if 3 do, whoever ranks them highest gets them. If 7 people list Amazons as 4th but 1 as 3rd, that one person gets their 3rd favorite.) That coach's list is then removed from future tallies.

This continues until you have doubles of each, breaking ties with Draft Order. At that point, and ONLY at that point, you go back and start over, doing the same for the #3 example of the teams. This means that relatively fewer coaches get their favorite, but no coach is forced to play something they just plain aren't excited about (as is happening in the current draft.)

What this does, is it gives unpopular teams to those who are willing to play them, and while those with the most popular teams have a good chance to get their favorite. With 9 teams listed (3 from each list), it would be hard to predict any one slant for the final result. The downside is that, even with 9 teams listed, one or more might get left out completely across the board - but if that's the case, do you really want to force one or more coach to play a team that is their 10th+ favorite?

7th is bad enough, much less 8th or 9th. If you wanted to forego the whole "racial parity" concept in favor of giving coaches something they're more comfortable with, you could keep the Ball/Bash/Between balance, and only ask for 6 teams, and use the same process, 1st for the least favorite of B/B/B, then for the next, then the next, working your way thru the various races. You determine how many coaches you have, and get an idea of how many of each race you need. Once you have a minimum of each (least-desired) races and a rough balance of BBB, you go to doubles, then triples, then quads, etc. Some races would be over-represented, some perhaps not at all, but the Ball/Bash/Between parity would still be there, and no one would get that stinky end of a long list.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)

Last edited by Smeat on %b %21, %2007 - %03:%Feb; edited 12 times in total
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

You are misunderstanding the draft process and the posts by Celas and Hunter. Your list was not "screwed" by their readmittance. Hunter is not back in and Celas rejoined for season 4.

Skaven and Dark elf was maxed out last season at 2 apiece.

The draft process is what is confusing you, and it wasn't just you. In a brand new league with no races taken what you all submitted would have worked, however with 0 teams being retired this season, and a limited # of teams available, we had to massage it a bit to make it all work out, which it did.

So, lets, get those teams submitted and get this show on the road.

Da Commish

hunter

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 03:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Are you saying I'm not allowed back in? Just want to clarify.

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 04:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:
Skaven and Dark elf was maxed out last season at 2 apiece.

Not as I remember that list when I first looked at it, but I could be misremembering.

(Also, note my "different approach" edit, which may have been a cross-post)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 04:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat: It's not a big deal. i understand what you are saying and the truth is your way is basically how we did it, I (having not participated in a draft, the last one being season 2) did not ask specifically enough for which teams were available and the coaches to list their preference.

However, you got your #1 pick and the other two coaches are happy too. So we will work on it this season so we have it perfected next season. thank you for your help, and don't be "irked".

Hunter: I am not saying you are not returning, I am working it out to see if we can fit you in somewhere. you should join #NWL and see what others are saying. prolly too late now. Surprised)

hunter

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, cool... I don't want to cause waves. Smile If it works better, I could start a new team... just let me know what races I would be able to select from. I *would* like to reinstate my lizards at some point if possible, however. Since NWL is modeled after SWL, are there guidelines for such a thing? Thanks for your consideration!

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Per Smeat: SKaven and Dark Elf were marked as closed for the past week or more before the draft. You may have misread.

Side Note:
After running a lot of leagues and realizing that you cannot please everyone, we will never have a draft process that suits everyone's needs. We do aappreciate the feedback. We will continue to refine the process. I would suggest that people come into the league and experience it for a season or two and then provide feedback based on the experience too. This will ultimately be the most helpful for everyone.

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2007 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You should all really try making it in to the #NWL channel.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, the ICY BLACK HAND OF DEATH just found out they got demoted to fringe! Not that they were surprised, but still. All you new teams better watch out. The Icy hand has dropped weight and will claw its way back to veteran division after this season no matter what cost! Prepare for the pillage!

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2007 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Johnny_Ryce wrote:
Ok, the ICY BLACK HAND OF DEATH just found out they got demoted to fringe! Not that they were surprised, but still. All you new teams better watch out. The Icy hand has dropped weight and will claw its way back to veteran division after this season no matter what cost! Prepare for the pillage!

Oh man... now who will I beat?

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2007 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
Johnny_Ryce wrote:

Oh man... now who will I beat?

I think im in your division this year so i can be your whipping boy Smile
Ug

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2007 - 08:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Did the scoring change for this season?

It looks like Dead Body Love Affair and Foetown Fraggles each got 5 points for the tie in the opening game.

Hats off to the Foetown Fraggles for earning a tie as the serious underdogs!
 Jump to: