46 coaches online • Server time: 12:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 02:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but that doesn't explicitly exclude free play before the divisions are set up.. though likely it's meant to.

also.. sorry about the name thing ..sheesh.. Sorry, I didn't get the reference.. You have to cut me some slack.. i'm a Yank living in Canada.. what the hell do I know about soccer! Wink
Chewie

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

At the minute, hobo and i are busy preparing the fixture list for the new season. Good point about the pre-season friendlies Craft, that seems like a good idea to me, but i've not been given the go ahead to start things off yet.
Everyone can probably expect a PM later today to clarify matters (so i'd better get hobo to write it!).
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If we do have pre-season friendlies, can we at least have a fixed amount (1 or 2) otherwise it threatens to unbalance TR for the start of the season. Although I'd personally prefer that we didn't.

But if we do, we could use these pre season games to decide on the division you start in (assuming we get enough ppl to make more than 1 division) in the first season.

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Russo

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

As a coach who is active in several leagues I would like to point out some things that I feel would help the development of this new and exciting league. I would prefer we do not have to learn lessons the hard way, or have to re-invent the wheel Very Happy

I think that the FIRST season should have NO pre-season friendlies. We are all level.

BUT after the first season is completed there will be some teams that will be well ahead of others in the TR rating. In real life this is just a class-gap. But in a volunatry league like ours if we let the gap become too big coaches just drop out as they cant compete.

My solution would be: At the END of every season set a TR rating for each Division to which all member teams can not exceed prior to start of new season.

This allows each season to be competative and most of all fun for ALL participatung coaches.

We also need to address the issue of teams that are aniholated by a bad game, where the coach does not feel he/she wants to continue. My solution is that if that coach wants to compete next season they can re-enter through the bottom division and the promotion is increased for the other teams to back-fill the vacancy.

i.e. Someone in the Premiership drops out, then at the end of the season an extra team is promoted. hence there are no rookie teams entering a developed competition, and also it is fair to the coaches battling it out in the lower divisions.

I have already suggested in chat to Hobo and Chewie my ideas on how to punnish forfeited fixtures and I beleive they will be posting something to explain there agreed method. My reason for "punnishment" is that in ALL leagues there are people who have a change of heart and drop out, or are very inconsistant on their commitment to fixtures. These players get a forfeit i.e. automatic unplayed defeat and sadly their opponent loses the opportunity to get cash and SPP's as a result.

I feel that in most leagues this is not good as the "repeat forfeiter" gets as many points as someone who genuinely shows up and plays but loses, and that is not a fair reflection of a coaches value to the community. As a result I feel that the points awarded need to reflect the difference between no-shows and defeats. i.e. negative points for a no-show.

This in fact reflects real Life within the football world. Where if a team DID refuse to play a game, then they would be docked points by their Football Association for bringing the game into disrepute.

Other things I would like to raise for debate or clarification are:

1) We need to have a healthy chat thread to maintain interest with existing coaches, but more importantly show all the other forum users that this is "a fun place to be" therefore we have our own recruitment drive without any extra work. Many coaches express an interest in the FAL for example beacuse we have a hugely active thread, which pops up at the top of the screen all day long due to new posts. So please lets have plenty of banter and fun in this thread other than just post when we want to gripe about something Smile

2)We need to think about how we will asign the initial divisional places if there are to be more than one division. My suggestion here is to, for the first season, have one large league and everybody play each other ONCE. At the end of the season we then split the table in two and that gives us our starting point for a second season. Then we can have a promotion / relegation system.
I welcome any other ideas about this?

3) Another thing I find is that we need to encourage coaches to fluff there teams a bit, so it creates ahtmosphere. I mean we are trying to recreate the feel of "British" domestic leagues here. It would be better if our Top Scorer" charts were actually interesting, with some blurb or fluff on each player or team. I am not suggesting a life story, just the odd line here and there, and a steady addition as things happen over the season. At least then we develop some history and grudge matches or some-must watch games. This all helps increase the fun factor and atrcactiveness of the leagues.

As you can see I like to chat and think of ways to help us all, please dont think I am being demanding, as ijust like to raise new ideas to promote debate and encourage equality and inclusiveness in any league I particiapte in. If people dont express there views and feelings in a a thread then don't moan and whine later that you don't like something...as you were too lazy to talk to people earlier Wink

Hope you guys like the ideas I have put forward?

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Russo

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 11:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohh and one other thing...are any of you guys wizz-kids in irc?

We could really do with our own Channel. That way we can chat about games, and more importantly find our opponents quickly without having to check if they are about on the web site, or try to find them in the various existing channels.

I have seen this work really well in some of my other leagues, where in fact coaches from a group of leagues all chat and pick-up there games there. Obviously this Channel tends to be busy at certain times of the day where the Time Zones cross over.

Any takers?

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz

BiggieB is my idol
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Some nice ideas Russo, particualerily the TR cap for starting seasons, especially for the first few anyway.

I fully intend on fluffing my team at the first possible opportunity. Wink

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Chewie

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Seconded SeraphimRed, good ideas Russo Smile
I'll get back to you on the points raised when i've had the chance to talk to hobo about them.

Note to SeraphimRed : could your piccy of Darko be in his Sheffield Wednesday "Glory Days"? I need a laugh now and then, and the fella was a proper donkey! Laughing
Belgarion

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 13:10 Reply with quote Back to top

hi folks, i have just been acepted to join all you guys and gals, hi and gl
Russo

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

U 2 mate.

BiggieB is my idol
Chewie

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

13 teams so far... Hobo says that he'd like 3 viable 8 man leagues, so thats at least 24 teams needed...
Get recruiting people! Smile
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hiya all! Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Chewie wrote:
13 teams so far... Hobo says that he'd like 3 viable 8 man leagues, so thats at least 24 teams needed...
Get recruiting people! Smile

I have PM'd all the AFL league coaches with the Home Page and thread for the OBBA, so there maybe some more interest soon.

BiggieB is my idol
Keravin

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be joining just trying to figure what race I want to enter with.

Either going as West Bromwitch Albion (see what I did there Smile ) or Mordheim Marauders.
Chewie

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, the baggies... Thought you'd be going with "Dirty Deeds United"! Smile
Longinus_van_Eyck

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

no skaven so far? I will apply with one then
 Jump to: