21 coaches online • Server time: 07:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post SWL Season 100!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2007 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I was just rolling some ideas in my head about a new experimental league. This had come about after the time limit was added, and the idea was that the league would have time limits enforced (not sure about that anymore, but we'll see).

Anyway, I was thinking of what other rules could set it apart.

I started by thinking maybe teams could be limited to 11 players only

then that got me thinking about having a limit of 7 active players, and the other 4 "sitting it out."

that of course led me to the problem of having up to 4 non-participating players on the pitch. Now, I've dealt with 1 guy being stuck in a corner, but 4? Sounded like trouble.

That's where all the thinking led me - what to do with these 4 players.

The ideas that came up all centered around the 4 players staying in the end zone, but varied from there:

1) 2 players are placed in each wide zone/wing so that no tackle zones are placed on the middle section of the end zone. The players do not move, cannot be blocked, etc. This keeps them out of the action and has the added effect of "shrinking" the end zone, adding a new tactical problem.

2) 2 players are placed in the corners, and do not affect play. the other 2 players are live, but are still restricted to the end zone. So they may move laterally, block, assist, handle the ball, etc. They may also be blocked. This brought up the idea that they are basically set up to be surfed, so I figured if you wanted to avoid that, you could place them next to the guys in the corners, declaring them off limits.

3) All 4 players are live, but must start in the end zone and must begin and end every turn with the end zone in their TZ (so they don't have to be on the board edge but cannot get too far away from it). If, for instance, a player blitzed and knocked himself down so he was not where he should be, on his next turn he would have to get up and 'tag' (enter) the end zone before he could take part in the game again. (he could stay laying down if such a move would be too risky)

4) If a player on the pitch was removed from the pitch for injury, or surfed from the field, on the next turn one of the reserves could come in from the end zone. He would have to move first (after ball & chain, etc). Players thrown out for fouling could NOT be so replaced. This is to discourage people having cheap foulers and good reserves going through their reseve with a bunch of early fouls, and to add more 'sting' to the foul penalty.

beyond that, I was thinking each team would be required to have at least 6 "linemen" (anyone who can normally be purchased in numbers 0-8 or more) and that for positionals one could have 50% with at least 2 (so 0-1 is 0-1, 0-2 and 0-4 are both 0-2, and 0-6 is 3). A team with only 2 player choices can have the maximum number of the lesser as long as they have at least 6 of the greater. (i.e. 5 goblins on an ogre team, 2 treemen for halflings - a CD team, with 3 player types and a big guy, would be limited to 1 big guy, 2 centaurs, 3 dwarves, and a minimum of 6 hobbos)

Hmm - looking at Lizardmen and Chaos, I'm thinking maybe they could choose between 1 krox and 3 saurus or 5 saurus with no krox, but not both. So it could be 2 CWs and a BG or 4 CWs.

I also toyed with the idea of restricting skills to 50% or less if possible - so for instance, a dwarf team with 2 runners and all linemen could not give either runner block or tackle until they had no other choice. An elf team could give half their men block, and half dodge, OR half of them blodge, but the rest could have neither. An Ogre team could mix up their 4 skills any way they liked, as long as no skill was on more than half the players or all the skills were on at least half. (Or the particular player choosing had no other options)

So what does everyone think? Which do you like? Which do you hate? Which would you change?
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

*cough*bump*cough*
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:
3) All 4 players are live, but must start in the end zone and must begin and end every turn with the end zone in their TZ (so they don't have to be on the board edge but cannot get too far away from it). If, for instance, a player blitzed and knocked himself down so he was not where he should be, on his next turn he would have to get up and 'tag' (enter) the end zone before he could take part in the game again. (he could stay laying down if such a move would be too risky)

This sounds interesting.. somewhat like a Goalkeeper in football. However 4 would make it pretty crowded..

Perhaps go with 9 man teams which include 2 Goalkeepers who must (if at all possible) end their move with the endzone in their TZ. Somewhat like 7s but with the 2 goal keepers playing safety.
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Will be a rat league, like most undermanned leagues.

Try banning AG 4 to make it more interesting. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:

with only 9 on the team.. Rats would be even more undermanned pretty quickly i'd think...

And if 7s is any indication Rats won't dominate...
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
pac wrote:

with only 9 on the team.. Rats would be even more undermanned pretty quickly i'd think...

And if 7s is any indication Rats won't dominate...

Rats in general, not in particular.

Looking at the 7s Stars page, I see: Catcher, Gutter Runner, Catcher, Gutter Runner, Catcher - Ghoul! - Witch Elf …

If you have fewer players on the same size pitch, naturally MA and AG are going to become far more important - and who has them? Rats.

No AG 4 could make things interesting, I think. And Gutterless rats are fun. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Looking at the 7s Stars page, I see: Catcher, Gutter Runner, Catcher, Gutter Runner, Catcher - Ghoul! - Witch Elf …

Sure they rack up the SPPs but they don't win the tourneys. 1 Win by rats in 10 tournaments.

Now if you had said elves... Laughing
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 00:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Gutters, eh? Well on the plus side they can only have 2 gutters, 2 blitzers and a rat ogre. Starting dwarves will have the tackle and armor to take them out. Other teams can get tackle easily enough.

And hey, a league of rats wouldn't be too bad - lots of mutations and deaths!

pac, what do you think of the 4 extra guys? which solution do you like?

I could just make it 11 vs 11, but that would be to the benefit of bashy or fouly teams, wouldn't it?
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
Now if you had said elves... Laughing

Yes, that's what I mean by rats in general! Smile

Walks_in_the_Sun wrote:
pac, what do you think of the 4 extra guys? which solution do you like?

Whatever is best administered is best. Pick the solution you like and make it work.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if I end up making a league, I will obviously pick and choose the rules I like, but I was hoping to get peoples' perspectives on the different options.
prophane

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I am interested in this type of game and league, cool idea WITS. ive thought of ideas like this too, and you have done a good job of working out some better ideas!

Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey WITS can you give us a summary of where you're at with this given the feedback? You have a lot of options in the first post.. and I wonder what you've dropped/added...
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Where I'm sitting at right now is this:

Teams of 11 players. Minimum 6 linemen, with positionals more or less halved.

7 players are active. 4 are reserves. The reserves must keep the endzone in their TZs. A player removed for injury or surfed may be replaced by a reserve the following turn.

Anything else I've not settled on, and I can still change my mind. I would like to do something to see that teams aren't all loaded with blodge or blackle, MB/RSC/Claw, etc, but that's secondary at best.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Other thing's I've thought about but am not really leaning towards are a leagure that is humans (and norse and amazons) only, maybe with orcs or someone else,

and an idea of setting groups - defense/goalie types, guys who can only play in your half, and maybe half the team as "forwards" who can get deep in enemy territory and score -but that might make scoring really difficult, which is why I'm not really thinking about it
prophane

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2007 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

i like the idea of the 'reserve' players being able to move back and forth in the endzone, but not being able to leave the endzone.

Jump to: