44 coaches online • Server time: 16:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
screech

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I'm not the most computer savy person in the world, but I'd like to think I know a thing or 2 about computers. This however baffles me.

I cannot connect to fummbl at all. Not to the web pages, nor through irc or the app. I keep getting time out errors. I can't ping it nor can I get a successful tracert. All other websites work fine.

I can however connect wirelessly to some outside unprotected wireless network and connect to the site. So it's not my computer.

I also disconnected my router, connected to the internet straight through my modem, and still couldn't get on. So that lends me to believe it's not my router either. So either verizon hates fumbbl, or fumbbl hates verizon, but either way I cannot get in, and need help.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening or (more importantly) how to solve the issue?

Please any help would be appreciated.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 04:54 Reply with quote Back to top

have you been banned?

Smile
MSpanke

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

You cannot get out of the Verison network. They (Verison) have blocked the port. Like the AOL of old? Just a guess.

Go to starbucks and play Bloodbowl. You'll have the caffine advantage.
GrantDeathbringer

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I am having what appears to be the same issue. If I use IE or Firefox, fumbbl.com will time out without connecting, however if I use AOL's built-in browser I can get to fumbbl.com (and navigate pages, teams, forums etc.) Under no circumstances can I spectate or play a game (anything that downloads from the server it seems). I upgraded and reinstalled java, tore the guts out of my firewall. shut down the internet connection and rebooted anything in my house with a power switch. I'm a bit baffled to say the least since I can't explain why one browser works and not the other two.
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

get a decent internet service provider then...............
screech

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

MSpanke wrote:
You cannot get out of the Verison network. They (Verison) have blocked the port. Like the AOL of old? Just a guess.

Go to starbucks and play Bloodbowl. You'll have the caffine advantage.

I can't even hit the web page, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the ports being blocked.

It seems to me that this happened right after the scheduled down time, but I don't know how or why or even if that has anything to do with why i can't connect.

I asked a friend who also has Verizon dsl and he also couldn't get a connection. He went through his aol browser and could connect, as well as going through a vpn through work.

Anyone have any idea on why I can't connect?
Anyone?
Bueller?

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 21:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Just a bump to see if anyone might know what the problem is.

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 21:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I know there's a problem on the Internet with one of the backbone carriers. People who use the UK based NTL provider are having difficulties connecting to the site, even though everything else seems to be working.

As far as I know, this is not NTL specific, but has something to do with an intermediate network. Trying to proxy your connection through some other computer might help while they're getting this issue sorted out. (My guess is that it's a cable that's been severed by construction. Happens now and again and takes a few days to sort out).

Maybe your default route also goes through this same failing network.
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 21:21
FUMBBL Staff

Oh, and you're saying you connected to the Internet using a different network (the wireless one), which probably has a different provider and a different default route. Essentially, this is the same as proxying.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I have several friends who've reported the same issue. They don't have Verizon directly, but I suspect their cable company may route through Verizon.
Gritter

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Cant help Razz
Just thought i would mention i had a similar thing happen to me on Monday evening in the middle of a match. (at the time i thought fumbbl server had gone down again, as this was an hour or so after the UPS upgrade work)

Connection to fumbbl died, and subsequently i couldnt connect to IRC, Webpages or anything fummbl related until the following day.

I dont use verizon though, am on NTL for my ISP.
I could get to everything else i wanted on the web, only fumbbl had a problem which is why i found it odd when i found fumbbl hadnt gone down at all....
Asuma

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The routing to fumbbl through Verizon servers appears to be fubar at the moment. It's not your PC/router. My access was cut off some time Monday. Trace routes die two hops out. Other friends using alternate ISPs have no trouble reaching the site. I am only able to post here because work is on a different backbone.

Whether this is a DNS problem which will fix itself, or Verizon specifically cutting off access, I do not know.
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 21:47
FUMBBL Staff

It's likely not DNS related, since that would make your trace fail entirely at the DNS lookup. It's most likely due to a faulty router/cable.
GrantDeathbringer

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Asuma wrote:
The routing to fumbbl through Verizon servers appears to be fubar at the moment. It's not your PC/router. My access was cut off some time Monday. Trace routes die two hops out. Other friends using alternate ISPs have no trouble reaching the site. I am only able to post here because work is on a different backbone.

Whether this is a DNS problem which will fix itself, or Verizon specifically cutting off access, I do not know.

Well that little box that I have at home with the Verizon label on the outside probably explains why I've been cut off.

I presume that anything that would need to be repaired, software or hardware, would happen before a couple of days have passed. If for some reason Verizon has specifically cut off access what would need to be done to reverse/appeal that decision?

Sounds like tonight will be spent on hold waiting for a support person ear to chew on.
Asuma

Post   Posted: Mar 14, 2007 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer,

Hmm, that sounds plausible. Hopefully they have the problem corrected soon.
 Jump to: