32 coaches online • Server time: 10:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

So. Now that the option to actually transfer our [R] teams to [U] does exist - who is willing to do so?

All of my teams in [R] are on the jump, but I'd like to get some definite commitment from others before hand, so I have people to play there.

If we all do the transition at the same time - much less scary and high risk, right?

So ... where are all those people that dislike the turn time limit option in [R]?

-Mnemon
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Give me an average of 5-6 Unranked games in the Games page, and my Hellfish goes U.

My new Orcs could well go U immediatly, for all I care.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of the people that protested the time limit introduction have been taking a look at the turn clock and thinking: "Oh I have 2 minutes to spare each turn anyway, in which I can chat as much as I always did, and still not run out of time"

In Javabowl, 4 minutes is a LONG time and most people now find that the limit is not really a problem for them.

Aside from that, I think it's very clear that the U division is stillborn. It's ranked without the ranking, it's League without the leagues. It has nothing.

So no, I will not transfer any teams from R to U, and I very much doubt many others will.

Why the long answer? Because I'm secretly trying to persuade you to stay in Ranked so we can more fun games Embarassed

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll give you a serious answer, Cloogy:

BB is a game. I DO NOT want to be pissed off by a game. I take BB lighthearted and if anything (from need to toilet to cats on fire) happen I just say "brb" and go. I have played a whole TON of games in less than an hour, and still I have played a TON of games where I had to leave for more than 4 mins once in a game, and played the rest of my turns in (say) 30 seconds.

When my girl/mom/boss calls, I go. And no, I won't finish to move my players. And no, I don't care for those 4 mins or 14 mins (now) or whatever.

A month ago, I could play and ask for a break to my usually very kind and forgiving opponent (99% of the times). Or I conceded (1% of the times, like I did in the Back to Boom cup to Diabl0568 just some days ago).

Now I know my ONLY chance is to concede. So I don't even start.

This time limit implementation sucks from my point of view, even if most of the times I won't even notice it exists. It sucks, it is unfair, it is a blind decision that doesn't take into the slightest account the medium we play in, it was MIGHTY unnecessary, and takes away from me many time-windows when I could play BB. Now I don't dare.

And for those stupid folks that say "hell, a turn or two wasted isn't a big deal, if you really take it as a game", I just reply: the fact that I take BB as a game and as a relaxing moment has NOTHING to do with my being competitive and willing to do my best and win.

/rant over

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I have 3 active Ranked team, 1 active U team. Rest is for leagues. I don't lfg enough in U but I currently only lfg with just 1 R team (I need the high elves ready for UI).

Btw, Unranked official tournaments would be nice and entertaining.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

So the unranked system is something for you Jan Smile
Have fun in there.
Lots of people like to play there games "in time". I can forgive an opponent once by giving him some time, but there are a lot of lamos out there that dont leave the game once. I mean, its my "relaxation" time too. And my time is sometimes "limited". So I'll have to concede if the other guy "takes too long" to finish. Wich is more frustrating for me, then for him.
When it comes to KO tournaments, I only play my games when i know i'm not going to be disturbed. If you wanna enter a tourney, at least try to go "full out" , the other guys will expect nothing less. Its still a competion.

I still beleve we should be able to move teams from R to L too. Cause L is evenly "unranked" as "unranked".
And I'm still in the opposition when it comes to the "transfering buttons" to have left the side.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 10:54 Reply with quote Back to top

kwèk wrote:
Have fun in there.

Yay! I'll be the king of the Desert!
...Sounds cool, but sadly it only works if your name is Paul Atreides Sad

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 10:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
kwèk wrote:
Have fun in there.

Yay! I'll be the king of the Desert!
...Sounds cool, but sadly it only works if your name is Paul Atreides Sad

If Soarenhightower has changed his name to 'The_Special_One' and BigMac has changed him name to 'Krulemuck', then can you not get your name changed to Maud-Dib Razz
kwèk

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

change the name of the fighting hellfishes
to the "Lonely Desert Foxes"

I'll bet you can find some nice artwork to go along with that.

Now that the joke has been said, I understand your frustration, but I beleve some players are going to U because of the time limit. So you'll get some nomads out there that will stick there hat off from time to time.
I guess the system of diffrent divisions is a menace to it self. Maybe... just maybe, it should have been better if there were only 2 division, one with a "clock" system, one without.
Both of them with a ranking (for the guys that actually care abouth the number that is just below there name). And full options on both them.
I know guys that are carving for R leagues.
I know guys that want U and L KO tournies.
Maybe we should all keep it more simple. ... just a tought.

Edit: Or just 1 system, where you can choose to set "clock time" like it is now (not adjusting the clock time like YOU want it, just the normal clock time) or "without clock" as a prefference when you start a game as a "server".
The Client that joins just gets a popup with "ok" or "not ok", presses ok and joins the game (or leaves if hes not allright with the setting).
Of course you can speak of playing with or without clock in the chat, but there are always people that wanna trick people in doing things they dont want.

The "U" system will still excist for the fluff teams, But I guess the "real" players like to play with the standard teams because they like to practice, for leagues / tournies on tabletop... at least thats how i got dragged into this game.
There can be a calculating factor, giving people more CR if they play with the clock, instead of "not" playing with it.

This will unite almost "all players" into 1 happy division, without "transfering" talk. Everyone shall be playing as an "equal". If you dont mind the CR, it wont hurt to have one. If you do mind having CR, you still have one to brag abouth.

"Official" tournaments should be played with a clock tough, but all the "Unofficial leagues and tournies" should get a setting option for the "organiser" too choose from.

I mean, wth split up all of the players and create walls between us, if it could be mangled in 1 division.
And dont start jibbering abouth the CR now guys. I mean the rule is simple = you loose , CR goes down --- you win CR, goes up. That rule is the rule for everyone. Also, I beleve players still play to win, if there is a rating involved or not. If you dont want to win, wth are you playing then anyway.

Last edited by kwèk on %b %23, %2007 - %12:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
heinz

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

No, I'll stay in ranked.

I must admit i wasnt thrilled about the time limit. Reason: Yes 4 min IS plenty of time to play and chat. What I've experienced in my ranked games since time limit was introduced is, that it actually makes the average game time go up. Reason: All those little errands you could do before during your oppos turn, you now postpone to the end of your own turn, holding the End Turn. I know I do, and my oppos usually do the same. Is it a big issue? No. Does it slow down game pace and break the flow? Yes, at least for me.

However the 10 min buffer will probably diminish my objections to the size of petty-whining, so there's no way I'll walk the dunes with you Maud-dib/Jan Smile Besides those worms ARE quite scarry.

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Btw, Unranked official tournaments would be nice and entertaining.

Completly agree with this:)
Curro

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I moved all of them when the new unranked was created, so I'm waiting you there people!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that the 'global timer' thingy has been added - I'll be happily sticking around in [R]anked, thank you very much. The option to move teams over is most welcome, however, and will hopefully give the new division a kick-start. I was against the time limit rule to begin with, but with this addition, I'm super-happy people can't take 16 8 minute turns against me, but at the same time, emergencies are catered for.

Reasons I'm staying are:

1. I'm a competitive soul, and
2. I like matches to feel like they mean something.
3. Now if the boss rings/cat explodes etc. then my extra 10 minutes mean that I don't lose a turn and possibly (against a good coach) the match due to a non-coaching reason, and finally,
4. I can't freely move between [L] and [U]. I love my tournaments, and in an ideal world, when one tourney ended, my team would jump to a well-populated [U] division and play some of you nice folks (oooh look, the Hellfish are lfg in [U]! Jump! Very Happy), recover until they spotted something they liked the look of in [L], and jump back. This isn't going to happen, so a few of my teams that I was building up in [R] for an eventual switch to a [U] tournament (I know Christer has said this was never the intention of the [R] division, but it's one of the ways I'd previously used it), will stick around.

By the way, I really do hope [U] works. As a casual X-Box 360 player, when I go on-line the last thing I want to do is to jump into a hardcore ranked game where everyone knows where all the guns are, all the weak-spots, and just how to kill me in 0.32 seconds. I love just picking up in an unranked environment and losing an hour shooting at stuff. The same could be said for some FUMBBL users, I reckon. I'm just not a 'casual' user.

Official [U] tourneys may well change my stance, however.

Edit: and in response to Cloggy, I think the percentage of people that thought "I'm quitting [R] because 4 minutes is too short a turn-time for me" is very low. It was simply a matter of not losing a game because something that needed 5 minutes of attention away from the client showed up.

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %23, %2007 - %11:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
Pmg

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

If i read more Janmattys spam complaining i swear i throw up. I wonder if in the "complaining" Poll he manage to vote in all the items... ufff...
Xenon

Post   Posted: Mar 23, 2007 - 12:11 Reply with quote Back to top

[R], [L] & [S] are more than enough for me, so no I won't be moving into [U]
 Jump to: