45 coaches online • Server time: 14:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Whodyacryem

Post   Posted: May 23, 2007 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I've just started and have a team in the academy. I've played 2 games so far, tied one and had connection problems in the other. Thing is when I look at the academy gamefinder pretty much every coach has (along with their academy team) several other teams in other divisions. So is it worth playing in the academy at all if all thats going to happen is I'm going to get pounded by some experienced coaches growing team?
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: May 23, 2007 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

There isnt any point growing an academy team Smile.

You can't grow it above 150 tr, and you can only move it...into another division almost nobody plays in. The experienced coaches maintain a team so they can teach new players how to use the client and play the game.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2007 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if you are new to bloodbowl the game rather than new to FUMBBL then it can be very useful to play someone who knows what they are doing and will pass on tips to you.

When you look for a game try asking if someone is willing to pass on some tips.

Whilst playing other players equally inexperienced may let you win some games and build self esteem, you'll get a very nasty shock when thrown to the sharks in [R].

Post   Posted: May 23, 2007 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I started in Ranked but then id played countless tabletop Bloodbowl games before.
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: May 23, 2007 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
The experienced coaches maintain a team so they can teach new players how to use the client and play the game.

It's a beautiful thought, though...

I play A to play odd ideas without any effect on my modest CR, and at the same time help some noobs...
(A lot of newbies have started out here playing "Give me liberty or brains"... and thus getting a somewhat less 'sharky' start...)

Post   Posted: May 23, 2007 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Decon wrote:
I started in Ranked but then id played countless tabletop Bloodbowl games before.

Yeah, same. Still, I was impressed that even a tabletop veteran can learn a couple of new things here. One turn touchdowns via chainpushes - something that never even occured to me in my own league.
SillySod

Post   Posted: May 23, 2007 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Academy is well worth while. Its got a much more relaxed style of play. this is becuase both players know that you are here to learn rather than to win.

Academy is THE perfect place to start, any initial team selection errors will be pointed out, strategies will be improved and tips will be handed out. It basicly lets you bodge your first team while ensuring that you don't blunder with the second.

It also teaches you all about connection problems, softens the transfer onto FUMBBL along with reducing culture shock etc.

For the record I believe that even experienced tabletop players should start in Academy, if only for a game or two. This is partly because tabletop games are arranged in nothing like th same manner, nor take place in the same environment. In a league, teams above TR 150 are rare, teams above TR 200 are unheard of unless it's a large and very active league (mostly because playing the same opposition using the same team can become repetitive).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
The_Decon

Post   Posted: May 23, 2007 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
The_Decon wrote:

Yeah, same. Still, I was impressed that even a tabletop veteran can learn a couple of new things here. One turn touchdowns via chainpushes - something that never even occured to me in my own league.

Yeh Ill be the first to admit, there are countless tricks I have learnt on here !
koadah

Post   Posted: May 24, 2007 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Academy is worth it.

Coaches are more likely to offer you game/strategy tips than in other divisions.
They are also less likely to foul and crowdpush every turn or stall for seven turns.

You can play more experienced coaches but they (usually) won't use every trick in the book to grind your team to mush Smile

Post   Posted: May 24, 2007 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Academy is well worth it. It wasn't around when I started, and I got whooped all over [R]anked for what seemed like an age. I wish it was there for me to learn the ropes when I was starting out.

I'd like to think there are friendly coaches that will help with tips and strategy (I think I've only played 4 [A] games - I need to get round to more), I know I certainly try and help out and chat about kickoffs, assists or whatever. The thing is just patience trying to find a game. And with that good luck! Wink
Panda_

Post   Posted: May 24, 2007 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

If i hadn't a policy about keeping only 1 team (plus a safety), i would have a team there.

But i've sometimes teach people looking for games in academy, by hosting a direct game with local teams. Or by playing the exact team than my "student". Yes, everytime that was not uploaded on fumbbl. But that was not the issue. I didn't even finish half of those games, because it took a long time (~1h30 to reach half time). But they know a lot of bloodbowl. They look at the rulebook with a new view.

If there weren't Academy, "students" come directly in ranked and would be crushed. People would not even teach them things "how could i know he was learning ?" "I've to build my team, that means crushing the other." .

And lot's of "students" talk me about the difficulty to find a game in their division. And many of them play only 1-2 games before going to Ranked, because it takes them years to do those 1-2 games.

Academy should stay. But it would be better if we could add a page to learn. Image, question, answer. Something like a quizz about blocking, Agility roll, Strategic Decisions, and finally Skills.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2007 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking as a relative noob, I found Academy very useful. Beyond remembering how to play from my tabletop days, it was a great way to learn how to deal with the client, disconnects, etc.. The guys I played were patient, and helped out with strategy. The move to Ranked was a bit of a shock. I was glad for the introduction. And, to be honest, I didn't find it took that long to find games, so long as you were trying to play when it was busy.

Interesting idea - try out odd ideas in [A], and the victims, sorry, students get a fairly friendly game...
Brynneh

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2007 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm a BB veteran, and I started in [A] and never regretted it. First of all my friends and I played 3rd edition, we never bothered with the LRB mainly because we didn't like the skills/traits system, however having played with that for a while I actually quite like it. So I needed to get used to LRB4. Secondly I needed to get used to JBB, and thirdly I hadn't played in over a year due to my final year at university. All of these things combined might have taken some time to get used to in other leagues, but the best bit about [A] is the fact that the 4min limit isn't used, allowing me to get used to everything at once.

I will always try out a new team in [A] first, and I will always maintain at least one team here to help new players out with.

This is just speculation though, my first team is yet to leave [A] (as of writing they are the highest ranked TR150 team, making them the top of all the teams that are allowed to play in [A] heh, and I'm saving them for a few training games against mates that will join soon), but once they leave, as I said I'll use [A] for testing a new race, and for helping new players.
Russo

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2007 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes starting in Academy is a MUST tbh, yes there are some idiots in there two but at least there are many other new coachs learning too, and also lots of decent guys who will offer you games where you can practice against more experienced opposition

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Gromrilram

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2007 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

play little matches in academy (really less i mean like 5 or so) and find your opponent in the academy chat in fumbbl. than you know the basics and move on to ranked directly.
but these 3 maches in academy are worth it, and if its just to get to know the differences between the board game and fumbbbbbblllllll0000rzzzzzz