80 coaches online • Server time: 21:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should the 10 minutes of extra time be removed from Major Tournament Games?
Yes
61%
 61%  [ 93 ]
No
38%
 38%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 151

Optihut

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The extra 10 minutes is a crutch to accommodate real life emergencies. The suggested pause button would be a better way to do it, as the extra 10 minutes are now (mis)used for additional time during any given turn. What's worse, they seem to be reset on a disconnect, which renders the whole turn limit void anyway.
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted no, but ONLY because sometimes things happen... I don't think, even though i play ranked rarely, i've ever gone over, and i think alot. But sometimes real things happen, like someone coming over unexpectedly or whatever, that should allow for exceptions. Its not like you've scheduled this one day for a single hour of computer time to be in a tourney, like if you left town to go to a real one, so the rules need to be a tiny bit more lax. But again, i play ranked only rarely, so i don't count for much.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 11:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never had to use the extra time... but been annoyed by coaches that obviously don't have an emergency and just use the 10 min to extend their turn...
Just letting the 10 min extra time be used once per game sounds good... not only for majors Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Borgen wrote:
And with regards to a RL emergency determining the outcome of a Major Final, like I said if there is a RL emergency the players should feel free to save and restart the game.

Yeah - that's fair enough too, but whilst we have the 10 minute timer there, I'd like to see it used for what it's designed for - a one-off, 10 minte extension for that emergency situation. Not 30 seconds more here, and a minute more there as some coaches use it for.

Completely agree.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Fama wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
Borgen wrote:
And with regards to a RL emergency determining the outcome of a Major Final, like I said if there is a RL emergency the players should feel free to save and restart the game.

Yeah - that's fair enough too, but whilst we have the 10 minute timer there, I'd like to see it used for what it's designed for - a one-off, 10 minte extension for that emergency situation. Not 30 seconds more here, and a minute more there as some coaches use it for.

Completely agree.

ditto

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
Fama wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
Borgen wrote:

Completely agree.

ditto

Agree too
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

i find it funny that this same "HEIL BLOOD BOWL!!!" fascist crap is the same argument that came up when time limits were first institued...

basically stating, if you're not a diehard, hardcore fanboi who eats bleeds and breathes blood bowl, then you don't belong here...

funny how blood bowl was created as a game between friends, and never took into account the fact that online play might happen sometime....heck when it was created, the internet was still budding through bbses and other methods....

also funny that everyone spouts off the "bb has a 4-minute time limit instituted in the rules!!!" BS, but yet, with the countless amount of TT games, i have never once had an opponent bust my balls for taking more than 4 minutes....

and as for tournies....i find it absolutely hysterical that you people actually think that tournaments are for the spectator's benefits, and not the benefit of the people playing in them.....

get over yourselves...

--j

ImageImage
def909

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Hmm - I wouldn't want the GLT final with 150 specs to be decided because a coach's boss rang him up (for example - insert any RL emergency) and he didn't finish a crucial turn. It would be really annoying. However if there was a way to switch it so that you could only go into your 10 minutes once, for such a real life emergency, I'd change my vote to yes.

I love this option. RL emergency do occur and I also wouldn´t want to see the final being decided because of it. So I voted "No".

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
i find it funny that this same "HEIL BLOOD BOWL!!!" fascist crap is the same argument that came up when time limits were first institued...

basically stating, if you're not a diehard, hardcore fanboi who eats bleeds and breathes blood bowl, then you don't belong here...

Nope, just that if you dont have 2 hours to set aside to play a Major Tournament, you should play at a different time. Heil Blood bowl.

shadow46x2 wrote:
funny how blood bowl was created as a game between friends, and never took into account the fact that online play might happen sometime....heck when it was created, the internet was still budding through bbses and other methods....
charming, funny anecdote, but not really on topic.

shadow46x2 wrote:
also funny that everyone spouts off the "bb has a 4-minute time limit instituted in the rules!!!" BS, but yet, with the countless amount of TT games, i have never once had an opponent bust my balls for taking more than 4 minutes....
Nor have I, though I haven't played Dalibor in real life yet.

shadow46x2 wrote:
and as for tournies....i find it absolutely hysterical that you people actually think that tournaments are for the spectator's benefits, and not the benefit of the people playing in them.....

get over yourselves...
fair enough. obviously the people playing in them enjoy them very much, but I enjoy spectating them as well and presume from the # of spectators in each game, that others do as well. In my opinion, extremely slow play in major tournaments is unnecessary.

Cheers for your contribution.

--j[/quote]
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Borgen wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:

Nope, just that if you dont have 2 hours to set aside to play a Major Tournament, you should play at a different time. Heil Blood bowl.

funny...the site only requires you to set aside 90 minutes for a game....not 120.....

From the FUMBBL rules wrote:
Don't start a game where there is a chance you won't be able to finish unless your opponent knowing about it. Unless you state otherwise, you are expected to be able to play for 90 minutes.

--j

ImageImage
Borgen

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

all the more reason to enforce the time limit, no?

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

get over yourselves...

--j

I think you have missed the point.

There is a [U] division for people that do not wish to have time restraints.

I have been in [R] games where the op has taken more than 4 minutes for many if not most of his turns ... with the extra 10 minutes (which is designed for emergencies) he had no reason or need to do otherwise.

The game before was fine (albeit at times annoying with slow players) the game as is now is better, but what is the point of the 4 minute rule (in ranked only) if the 10 minutes extra can be used anywhere?

If there is a rule, it should be applied correctly, if someone needs a single emergency time out, it should be available to them. If people do not wish to be forced into a time limit game, they should play unranked.
BlackNWhiteDog

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Relating this to real life...
The superbowl takes hours to play, do people complain?

Majors are special events on fumbbl so sometimes the games take longer. Longer games add to the hype and gives specs more time to discuss tactical decisions made by the contestants. It's all part of the fun!

The 10min time limit is there for a reason we can always boo slow coaches that take advantage of it in an unsportsmanlike like manner.

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

.....no......

sorry but bb is a game, and if real life intervenes, real life takes precedence over your stupid little pixels and dice....

we've taken enough concessions that the "play my way!!!" majority has gotten their way and had time limits enforced, even though in most situations they never become a problem in the first place....

now you want to push things one step farther to limit casual coaches that much further, and restrict majors to only the hardcoringest of the hardcore?

--j

ImageImage
monboesen

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2007 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Of course you do. Just not in ranked and ranked tournements. Come visit us in the unranked division...Smile
 Jump to: