13 coaches online • Server time: 05:20
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
treborius

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

this thread has been inactive for a while, but i stumbled across this...

JanMattys wrote:
Problem is you will be the only one seeing the icons.
AND you will have to update the icons.ini file everytime you buy a new player or raise a zombie, assuming you use different names every time.
So there's little point in custom icons, really.

I created the Hellfishes because I only use the *same* 15 names... so they will always work and people will be able to dload them and see them when they spec or when they face me. Teams with variable names will have a very hard time with custom icons... they basically require daily care AND they don't work for others. Not worth the effort imho.

...so to get it straight:

a. i could add a [PLAYERS] option in my options-file, name an icon (xxx.gif) for each player-name and would then get individual icons for all my players, correct??? Confused

...now, the most interesting part:

b. would my opponents get to see my icons automatically, or would they need to get them (i.e. via mail) and copy them to their folders, manually??? Confused

if b. would be: automatically, that would be really great Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

a. yes
b. no, they need to do a. aswell. That is why there aren't many custom icons around.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

a) yes

b) no, there's no automation because the icons are stored in the user's PC. See my Hellfishes: in their bio you will find a link to the Hellfishes icons. It's a ZP file containing the GIFs and a TXT with the instructions to dload the gifs and to edit the options file so that you can see the hellfishes icons when you spec my games or play against me. That's the best possible service on fumbbl: make a set of icons available and all those interested will dload it. There's no automation, sadly, because the client picks the icons from my HD and not from yours.

i hope this makes sense to you. Very Happy
ps: really, look the hellfish bio and open the ZIP file... it will be even more clear how it works.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
a. yes
b. no, they need to do a. aswell. That is why there aren't many custom icons around.

Well,
whatever is "many" in your terms. I have created plenty, even though i am totally unclear about how many of them are used by other coaches, I do like them pretty much.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Chickenbrain wrote:
Woodstock wrote:
a. yes

Well,
whatever is "many" in your terms. I have created plenty, even though i am totally unclear about how many of them are used by other coaches, I do like them pretty much.

Yeah but they don't work if you change your names from Donald Duck to Donald Duck II when he dies. It requires constant fixing...

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

Yeah but they don't work if you change your names from Donald Duck to Donald Duck II when he dies. It requires constant fixing...

True enough,
but thats my naming policy. Anyways, i am not so much interested in who is using my icons to see my players but more interested in who is using my icons to see his very own players in a different shape.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Chickenbrain: There are maybe 15-20 custom icon sets on FUMBBL?... How many teams are there?... You get my point, that is not many...
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, so far i created 14 of them.

And yes, you are probably right its not many. But its fun. Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Chickenbrain, you could always put your talents into a new and interesting venture Very Happy (/me not so subtly points at the Man O War client)

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Chickenbrain, you could always put your talents into a new and interesting venture Very Happy (/me not so subtly points at the Man O War client)

I am more interested in a Browser based BloodBowl game if i find the time. Creating icons is easy, cause each icon cost only 5 minutes. While creating a whole game client is not possible by doing 5 minutes whenever it fits into the schedule.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually the client has all the terrain and cards and stuff. I just need icons and to put some more time into it and it should be finished. On the other hand if you arent interested in Man O War then it might be a bit of a waste of time that could be spent making icons for something that you will play.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 13:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Create them yourself, it is not that difficult. To be honest it is pretty easy. Even a kid can do it... Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
a) yes

b) no, there's no automation because the icons are stored in the user's PC. See my Hellfishes: in their bio you will find a link to the Hellfishes icons. It's a ZP file containing the GIFs and a TXT with the instructions to dload the gifs and to edit the options file so that you can see the hellfishes icons when you spec my games or play against me. That's the best possible service on fumbbl: make a set of icons available and all those interested will dload it. There's no automation, sadly, because the client picks the icons from my HD and not from yours.

ps: really, look the hellfish bio and open the ZIP file... it will be even more clear how it works.

thx for the info - all makes sense - i think the link on the bio is a good pragmatic solution, too... ('like those consistent hellfish-icons, too - 'thinking of doing something like that for my dwarfs - the default-icons just suck for dwarfs imho)

shouldn't be too hard for the client to actually distribute the icons over the net, but i guess there's enough to be worked on already... Wink

thx for sharing the info Very Happy
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

_trebor wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
a) yes

thx for the info - all makes sense - i think the link on the bio is a good pragmatic solution, too... ('like those consistent hellfish-icons, too - 'thinking of doing something like that for my dwarfs - the default-icons just suck for dwarfs imho)

shouldn't be too hard for the client to actually distribute the icons over the net, but i guess there's enough to be worked on already... Wink

thx for sharing the info Very Happy

Also, remember that only if you keep the SAME names for players it will work. if you name the player John, then when he dies you name the new one "John II", it won't work unless you edit the PLAYERS section of the options file... which means it is impractical for you, and almost impossible to keep for others. Customized icons only work if you have 16 names for the full roster and ALWAYS use them (something I have very rarely seen on Fumbbl btw... The hellfishes is the only team that I know of that always used this naming policy)

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2008 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

_trebor wrote:

Shouldn;t, indeed. But you can then easily create hidden player icons. (Background color transparent, no foreground) Result would be hidden players... Smile