52 coaches online • Server time: 00:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Falesh

Post   Posted: Aug 23, 2007 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT: The client was ported to Java and got to the stage where I had completed adding all the skills when I had to stop working on it. You can find a playable version at the point I had to stop here.

When I stopped I gave the code away to anyone who was willing to continue the project. To see who is currently working on this check the end of this thread or look for a new one created by them. If you would like to help finish the client first check if you can help out others or give me a PM and I will send you the source.

----------------------------------------

Since I've got to a stage where you can actually do some stuff on it I thought I'd properly announce that I am working on an LRB5 client.

At the moment it is very rough, no skills are implemented nor is the weather, kick off table, etc. The things you can do are set players up, kick the ball, then do some of the basic actions like move, block, foul, throw, catch, etc.

I have written it in C# as my previous programming knowledge is self taught PHP and I wanted to learn C# and how to make a desktop application. Due to my inexperience of this type of programming I am unsure how much more work there is to do. Because of this I can't make a good guess at how much longer it will take to finish.

Since it uses the .NET 2 Framework you may need to download either Mono or .NET 2 Framework, though chances are it is already installed.

Download the client then extract it to any directory. To run it execute BloodBowl.exe.

All the Weather and Kick-Off results have been implemented.

Skills completed:

• Block
  • Dauntless
  • Dirty Player
  • Fend
  • Frenzy
  • Kick
  • Kick-Off Return
  • Pass Block
  • Pro
  • Shadowing
  • Strip Ball
  • Sure Hands
  • Tackle
  • Wrestle

• Catch
  • Diving Catch
  • Diving Tackle
  • Dodge
  • Jump Up
  • Leap
  • Side Step
  • Sneaky Git
  • Sprint
  • Sure Feet

• Accurate
  • Dump-Off
  • Hail Mary Pass
  • Leader
  • Nerves of Steel
  • Pass
  • Safe Throw

• Break Tackle
  • Grab
  • Guard
  • Juggernaut
  • Mighty Blow
  • Multiple Block
  • Piling On
  • Stand Firm
  • Strong Arm
  • Thick Skull

• Big Hand
  • Claw / Claws
  • Disturbing Presence
  • Extra Arms
  • Foul Appearance
  • Horns
  • Prehensile Tail
  • Tentacles
  • Two Heads
  • Very Long Legs

• Always Hungry
  • Ball & Chain
  • Blood Lust
  • Bombardier
  • Bone-head
  • Chainsaw
  • Decay
  • Fan Favourite
  • Hypnotic Gaze
  • Loner
  • No Hands
  • Really Stupid
  • Regeneration
  • Right Stuff
  • Secret Weapon
  • Stab
  • Stakes
  • Stunty
  • Take Root
  • Throw Team-Mate
  • Titchy
  • Wild Animal

Last edited by Falesh on %b %05, %2009 - %16:%Feb; edited 16 times in total
skritter

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well this is no good for a Mac owner!
Alf115

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Good initiative. But as a soon to be Linux based player, I'd really appreciate something more "portable".
Fizban

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome!!!!

Nothing would make me happier than a LRB5 client.

Fizban cheers!
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow! Cool, I will have a look at it when i go on luynch!
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice start.

I am sure that most would prefer java. But I suppose if you are first to market... Wink

Is this acceptable to Christer?

Would it be be able to play vs java clients?

How does it look on mac/linux? Is it going to be a real pain to support those OSs?

Does it need more developers to help it along?

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Tried running it, got a System.ArgumentException. Are you sure that you just run Bloodbowl.exe? It doesn't need team file-paths or anything?

Also, you probably want to catch any exceptions that bubble up to the top and display them in a user friendly manner. The next part of the dialog box that appears for me points out that I have no debuggers for the JIT compiler. Thus, I have no way of telling you the details of the error.

Edit: And Java would probably be a better choice of language - it is more platform independent, and C# is really just a Java rip-off. It's not too hard to swap. Although finding a good Java IDE is harder, but there are some good ones out there, I believe. (I tried, but never really got to know, Eclipse)
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

The exe needs to be in your bloodbowl folder and the two team htmls need to be in your teams folder.

And yes, I did need a debugger to figure that out Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

by the way:
does skijunkie plan to edit his javaclient (towards LRB5.0) ?
mighty_scoop

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

it is great to see, that a lrb5 client is in the work (because the opensource client stand still for about 2-3 month now) ... but a windows only client would stop me from playing fumbbl. I would be really sad about it ( i guess my girlfrined won't) Wink
Unstoffe

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet!
MAC / Linux users : looks like this Mono thing is what you want...

'System.ArgumentException' - I got that until I realised the exe needs to go into your JavaBB folder - it uses the pitch images, player icons etc. Also the two team files in the download need to go in to your JavaBB\teams folder.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to make sure it works with Mono, so there should be no problem using it on Mac & Linux.

I don't plan on making it open source due to how an open source licence might be an issue with Games Workshop IP. However I am more then happy to have help with it and if for whatever reason I don't have the time to maintain it I will hand it over to someone who does.

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I have nothing to contribute. I'd just like to applaud you for making the effort and for getting this far.
I'm sure you'll have no shortage of beta testers when you get that far.
annachie

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I have even less to add, except that I'm using Windows ME and wonder if it would work?
Falesh

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2007 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Below are the operating systems supported by .NET Framework version 2.0, this doesn't include those supported by Mono so add Linux and Mac to the list.

Quote:
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic; Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Premium; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Starter; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP Service Pack 2
 Jump to: