11 coaches online • Server time: 06:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Twahn

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2003 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Shifty (absent for 6 days, 4 days overdue, no postings, no arrangements with opponent) falls through the ice. Forfeited.

There seems to be a marked difference in commitment levels becoming apparent as the league progresses. Please everyone be patient. The next few weeks should tell the tale and we'll have a culling before next season so will have more quality, if less quantity.

Apologies to all.

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe for Season 2 we need some sort of Open style set up...

I played the Fumbbl Cup and found it flowed much more nicely... there was one team in my division that never played a game and no one cared a jot!

Break us into small divisions with open style and top seeds go thru to a KO tournament... in a soccer World Cup style format except the Pool Games would be open - you don't play, you don't go thru.

4 pools of 5 = 20 teams (probably close to the number of committed coaches)

Top 2 from each pool goes into a 8 team KO tournament to determine SWL Champion!!

I am so frustrated with the pace, I would be happy to do it now...
neverborn

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

i think we just need to get rid of the slow pokes

the main problem is you wait 2 weeks for a game against a slow person, then u get a good opponent, and you get the game over in a few days, then u need to wait a few more weeks for another slow poke! So it seems to take ages

PS, im going to queensland on sunday morning for a week - i hope to have my game with davo over before then, but i'm quite busy - friends bday tonite, work xmas party tomorrow, my birthday party the day after. So it might need to wait till after i get back!
Twahn

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I was thinking the Open Round Robin format... not as satisfying as a good old fashioned schedule, but much easier to get games played. We'll see how we go... see how many we have left once I get culling.

The only problem with that, Clay, is the huge disparity in TR/STR that will be evident in teams within a group. Especially after the high ranked teams become even stronger after a few games in the cup. I like the ladder system as a method to give everyone some peers to play with.

Happy birthday, bornsey.

Tank

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Guys,

To quote Neverborn "I think we just need to get rid of the slow pokes". I could'nt agree more!
And it aint that i dont like open round robin style, however im already in a league like that so my vote goes to Kickin day asses!

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree Twahn re the ladder...

How about we have the divisional structure and run it like the Factions system... Open slather games, if you don't play a minimum of 3 games in 2 months (assuming a 8 team, 7 game structure) you get relegated despite your position on the ladder.

That way, the good teams come up, the poor ones go down yet you are free to schedule when you can.

Happy birthday Bornsey, I too am a December child - a big weekend for me as my birthday is on next Wednesday... I'll have several for you! ** burp **
Twahn

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 01:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup. Could easily have the current proposed structure with an Open system. Just designate a time frame for the season to last and then get into the games. Could be the way of the future...

I don't really like it though. Too much hiding from the tough guys and shirking matches in order to recover and stuff like that. I prefer to have to play a game a week against a set opponent.
Let's just clear out the slowbies, eh? Kick day asses or whatever...

neverborn

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 02:29 Reply with quote Back to top

yeh, faction sucked cause it was all about bottom feeders. I prefer fixed schedule tourneys, cause you got to play the guy no matter what, and as such you can pick your skills knowing that you dont need to convince people to play you.

I think we just tought this season out, then decide on some small groups (i think Cool for all the leagues, have them ranked so you can get promoted and demoted, etc. I think this is best because if one person stops playing it wont really upset it that much because the seasons are only 7 games long. Then with promo/relegation you're always gonna be playing people of a similar TR.

Too many teams per div means too long seasons and slowbies screw it up too much.

I like twahn's newfound confidence to forfeit games, vale dude.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

In a large Open Div, you could "hide" from the killer teams... But if we in the SWL
a) make the groups smallish (8 teams, maybe even 6) and
b) had teams in a similar TR/STR bracker then hiding and yet going thru would be impossible.

Also, by way of example, should your woosy humans Twahn ever rejected an offer / challenge from the Mighty Norse from the Blue Mountains then you would be ridiculed amongst your peers on these boards mercilously (sp?)...
cataphract

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 02:43 Reply with quote Back to top

nah, don't make it open, there needs to be a schedule! if I wanted to play in an open league I'd play in the well. open league!

just make sure the non-attenders get culled after this season

Post   Posted: Dec 04, 2003 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree. Fixed schedules are far better and short seasons with harsh forfeiture for coaches who don't make an effort will ensure that your TR remains appropriate to one's opponents, that you cannot pick and choose your matches, and that people don't have to wait around for slow coaches.
Smaller divisions will mean that unreliable coaches will quickly drop through the ranks.

Tell you what, if everyone can get this season finished, I'll show you what I mean! Wink

Dark_Lord

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2003 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly i'd just like to say that i'm extremely pissed that my game was forfeited, i'd also like to point out that Covertfun and Neverborn are room mates and share a PC to play their games. So when i'm halfway through a game with Covertfun and kicking his arse by half time, he suddenly has to go somewhere and our game has to be continued at a later time.

How do i know that Covertfun didn't just let the game get forfeited on purpose knowing full well that it would greatly benefit his mate Neverborn, if indeed their is two of them.

I think you should forfeit their round 6 match.

I've talked with some other coaches in the league and like myself they are thinking of pulling their teams this season if they get more than 1 forfeit as it greatly disadvantages them, anyway lets see what the rest of you think.
vigil

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2003 - 03:13 Reply with quote Back to top

CovertFun and Neverborn are definately two different people - as I know both of them in person, and they both seperately performed at Sydney MOAB 2003 (I'm pretty sure they're both registered with the NAF too.) I don't know the specifics of Dark Lord's troubles but I know CovertFun's availability has been shot to pieces for the last couple of weeks. Maybe you just caught him at a bad time?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2003 - 04:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Oooh! A bit of conspiracy!!

Seriously, I agree with Dark Lord in that it is mightily annoying not to mention disadvantageous to have a forfeit (even if you're on the winning side) but what can you do? You can't have the league hang whilst we wait for some bloke to show every 15 days or so...

Also, I would never agree to start a match if I wasn't prepared to finish it... you should only play if you know you have a good 60-80 mins of time to do so and anyone who agrees to a break at half time should rethink that... If YOU were losing at halftime and had an agreed break, would YOU be keen to come back and take your beating... I would say SOME of us would be a bit reluctant to and would wait for Twahn to shoot the forfeit - you lose anyway without the CAS's...

The League has been hit with end of year exams, holidays and Xmas preps... maybe we look at seasons in the future to run short and sweet next time around and have a break from mid-Nov to mid-Jan to cover for these hiccups... for those of us who can still play during those periods, we can be content with our Open Div teams during this time...

Anyway, my two cents... game on!!
Dark_Lord

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2003 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure everyone is busy this time of year with xmas, exams and what not, how can a person be too busy to spare a measley 45 minutes in their week to finish off a game, surely they could at least concede the match if they don't have the time to play.
 Jump to: