43 coaches online • Server time: 12:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you like this new rule?
Yes, it's worth a try
7%
 7%  [ 32 ]
No, but i would like some other way to prevent elfbowling
6%
 6%  [ 28 ]
I don't like elfbowling, but i don't think we can do anything about it
18%
 18%  [ 79 ]
Elbowling is fine
66%
 66%  [ 280 ]
Total Votes : 419

Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
Russo wrote:
LOL show me any of the top coaches that does not select their games carefully and I will show you a zero figure.... Razz

You misunderstand my point... I said Elfballing is cherrypicking, I never said there was anything wrong with it.

LOL I see your point Very Happy

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Shrap

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

As I read that guy (xyon) 2nd response...it still doesn't fit the topic at all.
So on that note....
I can't believe anyone would want to not foul every turn if they could possibley could!!
And T16 fouls are the best!
Lets rock this thread!!
SillySod

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
SillySod wrote:
I disagree entirely. Elfball isnt cherrypicking, it's a preference for a different style of play that both coaches can enjoy.

Which just shows that I read more of this thread than you did. Wink "Elfballing" as used in this sense (based on post #1) isn't about how the game itself is played, but in what opposition is chosen to play against. Thus in this usage "Elfballing"=Cherrypicking.

I dont care how the first author used it. If it was different to me then he was wrong.

I used it in the sense that yes, elfballing is picking specific opponents but no those opponents arent weaker than them, elfballing in its pure form accepts a fair matchup for every game. Cherrypicking is where you try to get a specific advantage (or lack of disadvantage) by selecting weaker opponents (aka cherries).

As an elf coach, other elves arent necessarily cherries. An elfballer is actually likely to take a tougher game (win/loss wise) if it is against another elf than they would against a basher.

Cherrypicking is not the same as discrimination in your opponents. Cherrypicking is a form of discrimination, as is elfballing but they are not the thing and the whole of the thing.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

/me fouls Shrap 17 times and the Ref does not spot any.....
Very Happy

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz

BiggieB is my idol
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

*facepalm*

--j

ImageImage
Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:

*facepalm*

--j

whats wrong...has the cat got your ohhh so elequant and polite tongue for once Laughing

BiggieB is my idol
Covertfun

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2008 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh dear god. 19 Pages of forum thread. I didn't read them all but I really put in the effort and read a lot.

It still just looks like Zombie69 is on a losing streak and wants fumbbl to change the rules so that he feels better.

On a more helpful note: Zomb - why not join a league that starts at TR ~100 with teams playing scheduled games? The Swl is a great league for coaches in the Aus/NZ timezone, but I think there's one for Americans as well. Search! If you can't find, CREATE! It's possible you'll soon be the auteur of the most well-respected, balanced league ever to exist.

It may not turn out that way. But it'll give you something to do with your posting time. If such a league rockets to phenomenal popularity, you can count on me for an apology and sycophantic gratitude that you've saved fumbbl.

If it doesn't, many of the posters of this thread are gracious enough to let you have been wrong in peace. I know I am. Sometimes wrongness is really cute Smile
DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2008 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:
LOL show me any of the top coaches that does not select their games carefully and I will show you a zero figure.... Razz

You sir, are bitter and wrong, and too preoccupied with CR. There actually are top coaches that don't pick their games carefully.

As for the topic: This is ridiculous, and smells of trolling. If you wanted attention, then go stand naked in front of a very strict church. Stop pestering us.

There are top coaches, like PeteW for instance, who don't pick, and are top coaches.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2008 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

you twits do realize that the reason why this whole "proposal" was posted anyways, was because zombie69 got trounced by elves?

--j

ImageImage
Russo

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2008 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

DreadClaw wrote:
Russo wrote:

You sir, are bitter and wrong, and too preoccupied with CR. There actually are top coaches that don't pick their games carefully.

What I am trying to say is that only a few coaches will actually say "yes" to every proposal, hence there being an area of grey over selecting opponents.

DreadClaw wrote:
[
As for the topic: This is ridiculous, and smells of trolling. If you wanted attention, then go stand naked in front of a very strict church. Stop pestering us.

LOL I know you are refering to the topic not me here, but I thought you might like to know I tried that once Dready, but they tried to flagelate me with a whip and make me repent my sins! Very Happy

DreadClaw wrote:

There are top coaches, like PeteW for instance, who don't pick, and are top coaches.

Ohhh yes he does.....I have played Mr "Lucker" Woodruffe several times and loved each game but even he has turned his nose down at some offers.....

BiggieB is my idol
Hayati

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2008 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
you twits do realize that the reason why this whole "proposal" was posted anyways, was because zombie69 got trounced by elves?

--j

LOL

DreadClaw

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2008 - 11:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Russo wrote:
What I am trying to say is that only a few coaches will actually say "yes" to every proposal, hence there being an area of grey over selecting opponents.

That's something every coach does in ranked. otherwise we might as well call it tuamadrebowl.

Post   Posted: Feb 26, 2008 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

DreadClaw wrote:
otherwise we might as well call it tuamadrebowl.

That's not a very snappy name. I don't think it will catch on.
Markdienekes

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

perhaps there should be something where players become disgruntled and leave if a coach refuses too many games from an opponent... and may risk losing star players who no longer wish to play for a team who's scared of accepting challenges from a different style of team.

Besides, don't elves have the wish to show they're better than everybody else, and would like to show everyone how its done - hence, unless they're royalty, would play anyone to show that they are superior in every respect (that's if you want to play according to fluff though... and in the spirit of the game...)
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 29, 2008 - 10:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Markdienekes wrote:
Besides, don't elves have the wish to show they're better than everybody else, and would like to show everyone how its done - hence, unless they're royalty, would play anyone to show that they are superior in every respect (that's if you want to play according to fluff though... and in the spirit of the game...)

LRB 4.0 - page 21:
Did you know...
The High Elf team, the Dragon Princes, was made up exclusively of Elf Princes and High Lords, and were so haughty and proud that they refused to play anyone who was not of equal rank. Consequently they never got to play anyone at all, and were disbanded after five seasons without playing a single match!

So.... the answer to your comment is "no" Smile