16 coaches online • Server time: 02:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never really undestood this. Some coaches/teams choose to kick the ball if they win the coin toss. The reason is this:

You force opponent to score quickly, then tie the game before half time. Then score slowly on 2nd half to win.

I can understand this if the weather is bad. Give the ball to opponent and hope for chance for your drive. But if the weather is good, what's the logic? If you choose to receive, the same stuff happens in reversed order.

You score slowly, leading on halftime. Then force opponent to score quickly, and win the game.

The good thing on this is that you can start the blocking game. Basicly that should give you more blocks on 1st half than you would have if you kicked the ball. Therefore that should lead opponent with fever players on 2nd half.

So what is the reason to kick the ball instead of receiving it? Outside the weather and oneturner (see below).

One other reason popped out. If opponent has oneturner, by kicking the ball you have 15 turns to kill him. If you receive the ball, you have only 7 turns to kill him before he makes the 2nd td for opponent.

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

If you recieve you have to protect the ball mostly by cage which binds 5 players . They cannot help on blocks or fouls mostly.It is all about the tactic the coaches go with bashy teams. The other reason is the KO box. The opponent cannot try twice to get them back after you scored in turn 8 first half.But I can understand your point of view.
Optihut

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

You've already answered your own question.
pac

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

If your team is vastly less or vastly more bashy than your opponent's, you should kick. When there's such a discrepancy in power levels it doesn't matter much who gets the first shot in. As the more bashy side, you get to reduce the opponent's KO return chances (and give yourself every chance to eliminate a one-turner, as you mention). As the less bashy side, you get the chance to meet the opponent's offence with your full strength team.

If the teams are at all close in bashing power, you should receive, as in that case who gets the first shot can define the entire game if that shot is a good one.

Last edited by pac on %b %23, %2007 - %20:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Optihut wrote:
You've already answered your own question.

Very Happy

Yeah, on those two occasions. But I have seen many times coaches going for kick outside those two reasons. So I am just asking if there are any other reasons that I just can't see.

Groin just explained some reasons and point of views, that I have missed.

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

When playing bashy teams with fragiles, some choose to kick first to make sure they get to defend with full 11 or something. I dont do this myself so i dunno how good it is, but i've seen someone doin this.
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

So in 30mins, I learned a lot about BB. Again.

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I always kick first if given the choice. Two reasons except the ones stated:

1) Psychology. Even if I'm down one TD after 1st half, I get to start with the ball 2nd half and equalize. Hopefully the other coach gets stressed and makes more mistakes this way. If it's even score at half-time, even better.

2) It's more important to have 11 players for defense than for offense (especially with agile teams). Hence, kick when you have a full team, you don't know if you still have that come 2nd half.
Leijonet

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I always receive if I get the choice. The opportunity to bash first is way to appealing Smile

...But then, I mostly play bashers.

Leijonet -Winging justice since 6/9-08
Kamahl

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 20:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Against tatically less sound coaches i like to start the blocking game[ie get turn 1], as they are less likely to position nicely and defend well - i feel this way i get to dictate entire half and maybe score some lucky numbers advantage, not to mention getting cheap shots on their tacklers/stripballers/guarders to prepare them for 2nd half. [notice the nice and politically correct wording for coaches who can't find their behind with two hands and a flashlight, yet alone muster some nice defense ;>]

IF you are reasonably competent you can exploit the fact that with good defence you usually get plenty of time to score back[or even take the lead], and then start 2nd - more important half - with the ball. Going 2nd also gives you t8 foul option and the opportynity to dictate number of KO rolls in some occasions. Against two reasonably balanced teams it often comes to style of play. When your opponent has a Claw|RSC or three, it is often imperative to go first when given the choice othervise you could look at entire half of 9vs111 mauling.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Leijonet wrote:
Personally, I always receive if I get the choice. The opportunity to bash first is way to appealing Smile

...But then, I mostly play bashers.

Me too, but I'm mainly a bashy coach too. I generally only kick if it's raining, if there is Doom and Gloom, or if I'm playing Elves, and even then the temptation to break the three on the LOS is mostly too great.

Perhaps I should start experimenting with kicking - but only with Elves I think. With bashers V bashers, I like to get four blocks and a foul in early. 2 off the field (on a good day) is a sweet start to a game.
Walks_in_the_Sun

Post   Posted: Sep 23, 2007 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to kick off a lot (especially in TT) and I think it helped me win games. In part because I seem to be better at defense than offense, but also because kicking first means receiving last. Of ten this means you kick, then receive 1st half, then receive again 2nd half, and that can win games. However, after getting torn apart in FUMBBL, I amlost always choose to receicve so I can bash first. One of the results of this is that I have improved my cas/game to match the number I suffer (6 months ago I was suffering twice as many as I inflicted). However, I still need to bring my TD/game up to match my opponent's. I think this is largely because I pass too much (often for SPPs on specific players) - my stats indicate that I out-pass my opponents a lot but they outrush me by far more. Anyway, the point is I see why people would kick, but I don't because I'm too worried about my teams collapsing on turns 1-3.
runreallyfast

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel that the default choice should be to kick, except under a few circumstances:

If you have only 11 players, but your team is one that can hope to inflict some hurting on your opponent, I feel that you should choose to receive and get your licks in first - especially if your opponent is in a similar condition. Having two chances to recover from KOs is not as important here.

If your opponent is a much more skilled player than you, it may be best to receive and hope to get lucky with casualties immediately. I have both won games against better players this way and lost them to people who (I felt) were weaker players than me.

But I feel that kicking is generally the correct choice.

Oh, also, Goblin Cheaters should always choose to receive if that's an option. Probably true for any team with a lot of secret weapons.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I very rarely chose to start on defense.
Here is my line of reasoning.

Bashers vs Agile & Bashers vs Bashers
This will allow me to bash up his LOS and possible even more. If things work out well my opponent can't muster a full line-up when it's time for him to try to score.

Agile vs Bashers & Agile vs Agile
The opposite, make sure that I have a full squad when it's my offensive. With Agile vs Agile you of course also get the bonus of bashing the other guys LOS.

But then again I'm not a strategical mastermind...
Laviak

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2007 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

one reason you might want to kick first (not saying it's necessarily a good reason) is for control of the KO rolls. If you can force them to score quickly, then it is up to you whether to score in turn 7 or turn 8 (hopefully), and you can vary this depending on how the KOs are looking - sometimes you want the extra roll before half time, sometimes you don't.

Jump to: