37 coaches online • Server time: 09:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

All across the Old World few things provide a greater spectacle than when a traveling Halfling Bloodbowl team comes to town. The crowds seem enthralled by the spectacle of these little people playing such a violent game. Although most Halfling teams are recruited from the local shires and woodlands, there are those intrepid few that strike out on that most dangerous of paths, the life of Professional Halfling Bloodbowl player!

Pro Halflings
0-1 Ogre 140K 5 5 2 9 Loner, Bone-Head, Mighty Blow, Thick Skull, Throw Team-mate S
0-3 Stout 70K 5 2 3 7 Dodge, Pro, Stunty G A
0-3 Tallfellow 50K 6 2 3 6 Dodge, Pro, Stunty A P
0-16 Hairfoot 30K 5 2 3 6 Dodge, Stunty, Right Stuff A

Re-roll counter: 50000 gold pieces each
Apothecary: Yes
Wizard: Halfling Chef, but no extra ingredients

Stars
Puggy Baconbreath 140K 5 3 3 6 Loner, Block, Dodge, Nerves of Steel, Right Stuff, Stunty
Halfling Hot Pot 100k 1 1 2 8 Bombardier, Hail Mary Pass, Really Stupid, Regeneration, Strong arm, Safe Throw, Take Root

Hairfoot Halflings
Hairfoots (not Hairfeet) represent the majority of the Halfling race. Although small and nimble, they are not overly athletic but they make up for their physical deficiencies with an unbridled enthusiasm for the game.

Tallfellow Halflings
Tallfellows, as their name implies, are considerably taller than most other halflings. With their relatively lanky frames they tend to be faster and better able to throw the ball than their more vertically challenged cousins.

Stout Halflings
Sturdier than either their Hairfoot or Tallfellow kin, Stout Halflings are able to better survive the rigors of the Bloodbowl pitch. They are also capable of grasping many of the finer points of the game. Stouts provide discipline and toughness to the Pro Halfling team.

Ogres
Pro Halfling teams, due to their frequent travel, have opted to forgo the slow but steady assistance of the local Treemen and instead usually convince (read Bribe) an Ogre to join up with the team. Ogres are notoriously mercenary, and equally notoriously fond of Bloodbowl, so the two parties often find themselves in agreement.

*** Notice ***
I'd like to officially give credit to Dravaal and MindWright for coming up with a vaguely similar idea some 2 1/2 years prior. That version inspired me as to how NOT to make this roster, and therefore (according to shadow46x2) that means they should get credit for whatever I came up with.

Last edited by Craftnburn on %b %27, %2012 - %17:%Feb; edited 11 times in total
Pirog

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 08:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I like them, but as they are going to have an awfully hard time landing casualties I think they might do good in starting out with 2 dirty player positionals as well. Even with them this team should pose a challenge.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
I like them, but as they are going to have an awfully hard time landing casualties I think they might do good in starting out with 2 dirty player positionals as well. Even with them this team should pose a challenge.

Starting with Dirty Player just seems too Goblin-esque. Their advantages lie more in the 3 G access players, and 3 P access players. They're not meant to be Cas machines, but actually playing to score! (Shocked)

Last edited by Craftnburn on %b %05, %2007 - %01:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
Alanir

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I also like the team, although I'm not a fan of the 0-1 Big Guy. My preference is more towards the 0-2 Big Guys with a trait that only allows you to field one of them at a time. Anybody who's ever been on the receiving end of an MNG for a Strigoyan team is probably along the same lines of thinking.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
Pirog wrote:

Starting with Dirty Player just seems too Goblin-esque. Their advantages lie more in the 4 G access players, and 4 P access players. They're not meant to be Cas machines, but actually playing to score! (Shocked)

I just think they will have a hard time doing that without causing casualties, since their low AV will mean them losing players at a steady pace.

Since most halfling teams foul like crazy in Blood Bowl I think it's hard to maintain the image of them being too nice to stand above such methods.

But it was just a suggestion. I think they need a little something to cause casualties with though. If the Ogre is out they don't have much going for them...
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I think 0-2 Ogres & 0-2 Stout would make this a balanced stunty team.
johan

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

It looks like a solid replacement for the old Halflings, and far less silly than the HHH team. I don't mind the single Ogre - with four G access Hobbits, the team will be very functional anyway, emphasizing skill over power.

Given how Stunty affects Passing, I'd definitely consider giving the Tallfellows a passing skill, probably Strong Arm, to compensate. Removing Stunty would also work, but that's a lot less fluffy.

So, Star Players? I'd like a Hot Pot Star, and you could probably include good old Pudgy Baconbreath as well.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 10:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see how the team has a unique playing style... I love halflings but this team seems to serve as a toned down fling team with some better skill access. It dosent seem new/unique in the same way the cheater team does for goblins.

Sorry, not wacky enough for me.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
johan

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree that it's not all that unique, but it does have some features - skill over raw power, including a passing game that's better than almost all other stunty teams (Gnomes have better passing, but that's neither here nor there).

If anything, the team it looks most similar to is Strigoyans (with the setup of one big guy and four general access stunties, along with halfling fodder).
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, thinking about some of the responses led me back to one of my original ideas for these guys...

To give "Pro" Halflings the Pro skill.

This required a little price increase for them, but should make Tallfellows a little more effective passers and make Stouts somewhat better than average stunty blockers.
johan

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Cute. Smile

Just the positional halflings though?
coalheart

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotta love this team...

Asking for permission to include them (as they are) in my BB website (you'll be credited for them and I'll also add a link if you like)

Coalheart's Blood bowl lair!
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

johan wrote:
Cute. Smile

Just the positional halflings though?

Hmm I thought about giving the Hairfoots Pro, but that would take their cost up. Wasn't really sure about that since replacements will be frequently needed.

What does everyone think?
0-16 Hairfoot 40K 5 2 3 6 Dodge, Pro, Stunty, Right Stuff A
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 15:27 Reply with quote Back to top

coalheart wrote:
Gotta love this team...

Asking for permission to include them (as they are) in my BB website (you'll be credited for them and I'll also add a link if you like)

That's fine, but the roster isn't completely settled, so you'll either want to wait a bit, or make sure you keep it updated as changes are made.
johan

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2007 - 15:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro for 10K is a bargain (more like a steal). On the other hand, the team might not really be playable if they cost more (since AV6/Stunty needs constant replenishment).

Hmm ... with all this Pro, you might up the cost of RR instead.

One pretty cool thing with Pro is that it works (or at least, is supposed to work) with the landing roll on TTM.

Become like any other sport, a battleground...”

—Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus, Chess
 Jump to: