24 coaches online • Server time: 08:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Exempt teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Delaying TDs, good strategy or cheesy exploit?
good strategy
73%
 73%  [ 648 ]
cheesy exploit
26%
 26%  [ 238 ]
Total Votes : 886

swilhelm73

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2003 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

So, what do Fumbbl'ers think of delaying TDs by purposely not scoring?
lord_real

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2003 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

There is one thing to delay for one turn or two. But there is something else entierely to stall for one entire half, while you smash and foul the other team to tiny bits.
DaveSpencer

Post   Posted: Oct 10, 2003 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with lord real. Especially against fast and agile teams who can score that equalizer or game winner in 2 turns(let's not get into 1-turners again)...delaying until turn 7 of the 2nd half can mean a win or a loss. I also think coaches should always try and build players to counter this strategy.

On the other hand, I've been on the receiving end of an almost full half delay, and it IS annoying...but whaddya gonna do?

cheers Smile
Michael_Warblade

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You can stop people delaying by moving all your players towards the ball area most coaches will score rather than hope you cant figure out a way to steal the ball
IvanTheCow

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

If you can hold the ball for the entire half then there is no reason you shouldnt. its a good stratagy.
Mezir

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Some suggestions for your next poll:

"Scoring in two turns, good strategy or cheesy exploit?"
"Fouling, part of the game?" (oh, this one exists, you say?)
(From peikko:) "Blocking opponents, good strategy or bad mannered bashing"
"Dodging away, good strategy or wimping out?"

I think there are plenty more options still there. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 04:34 Reply with quote Back to top

<sarcasm>
Great idea Mezir!

Poll #1
Poll #2
Poll #3

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Mystery Link

</sarcasm>

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

There is a big difference between controlling the ball and the clock on offense, and showboating by standing on the goal line and not scoring. One shows tactical control yet gives your foe his fair shot at a takeaway. The other is driven by fear of giving the opponent his fair shot.

If I am being stalled upon, I do everything in my power to end it and/or make the staller pay. I have killed the offending ballcarrier before (a clean 1die blitz while he was standing there), and I have amazingly good luck at preventing the score when someone stalls me.
MixX

Post 6 Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure it's probably annoying when someone stalls an entire half instead of scoring. I can tell you that it's (insert swear word here) annoying to struggle up through the field, spending 5 turns and lots of RR's, risky blocks and whatnot to finally score in turn 6, only to have the opposing elf team (or skaven, or whoever), easy as pie, score in 2 turns with just a few dice rolls.

Stalling is a valid tactic, and so is doing whatever you can to stop it! But if you can't stop it, why on earth would I want to give you a chance of winning the game when I can secure a draw by just keeping you away??? Please stop complaining about it, your 2-turn-no-problems (or even worse, 1-turners) are just as annoying.. And as long as the other team will be able to score, I'll stall until it's safe to score!
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont mind teams that take their time to score, my chaos team does that on more than one occasion. But if you have a runner with the ball close to the try line, then I say score! I have had games drawn and even lost because I didnt delay, but I will always score when I can! Maybe you might even score again if you dont delay! Its just a game...

I once had 4 elves on the field, all prone, all being kicked every turn, and the Norse team i played just held the ball for an entire half without scoring. It was explained to me that even with 4 elves I was some kind of major threat and might win the game. Granted, but TAKE THE CHANCE.

In the end, I had 2 elves killed, and 4 SId, all with permament stat losses, because I was too good a sport to concede and get out while I should have.

Id also like to say well said psychobunny, thats exactly what im talking about. Ok rant over...

Oscar Wilde
lord_real

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 12:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I have almost stopped playing dwarfs with any elven team nowadays because i have on two occasions been stalled for entire halfs.
The grubby dwarfs hold on to the ball in the endline. The other dwarfs smashed my entire team to pulp. And since it was turn two and i was playing dwarfs i had like 7 elfs to start with. So while the dwarf player complained and whined about my 2 turn touchdowns he blocked and fouled my remaining 7 elfs to death.
I didnt retire the teams and they actually came back. But I had to play several recoverygames against halflings and assorted other teams before that.

There is nothing fun in spending 5 turns with raising the few elfs that can stand upright and try to dodge. Then look at the one that actually makes his dodge (many tacklezones) to be subsequently blitzed and fouled to death.

I play for fun. That means that i actually want to play. I also play chaos and chaos dwarfs. I have myself stalled sometimes. But i never ever stall for more than 2 rounds. This is a game that we play for fun. And it should be fun for both you and your opponent. Something many people tend to forget.
Playing to destroy other teams is just bad sport. And the most extensive stallers seems to be playing to destroy teams.
Gitzbang

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2003 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Mezir, i think you definitely forgot the most important poll of all:
"Winning games ... good strategy or cheesy exploit" ...
Kryten

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2003 - 05:40
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

On the few occassions that I have stalled on the goal line, all of the following have been true:

1. Stalling was likely to help me win/draw the game
2. I was not ahead in the match
3. My opponent had a fair chance to play the ball (i.e. not ten players against five or six)
4. I did not use the time for excessive opponent pounding
5. I stalled for not more than two turns

Of course, one opponent did go crazy and try to kill my players in rage. He *knew* I would score, so he made a ton of blocks ten paces from the ball and waited... and when I refused to score he totally lost it. He ended up fouling me on turn 7 and 8 of the second half, to no effect.

Maybe my rules are a bit too much - but I'm just playing for fun. As it happens, winning is fun too. Now, if my opponents have a problem with me stalling, they are free to try to stop me. Get a few players close to the ball carrier, and I'm scoring right away. Smile
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2003 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Where does it say in the LRB "thou shalt not stall"??? nowhere... that is what i thought. you do what you can to win (if you want to win.... i play for fun Smile ) if you have the ball that means your opponent doesnt and he cant score so it is fine in my opinion
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2003 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

also im afraid this will turn into the fouling topic.....
 Jump to: