25 coaches online • Server time: 01:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think of the concept?
Definitely worth developing. It's one of the strongest concepts floating around.
29%
 29%  [ 11 ]
I like it. But I'd like to see skills and numbers before endorsing.
37%
 37%  [ 14 ]
Average Concept. No better than the other concepts floating around.
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Below average. Not worht investing any time in developing.
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
The worst Stunty Leeg Concept that I've seen in ages.
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 37

EvolveToAnarchism

Post 16 Posted: Jan 02, 2008 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't believe I'm doing this. But I think I'll do another foray into designing yet another roster for the Stunty Leeg. I've got a list of a few roster ideas that I think would be great additions into the Leeg. Great because they have good Fluff, they are Unique, and they add some Novel mayhem into the Leeg that I've invested too much time in.

Rather than leap at you with a bunch of numbers and skills, I'd like to elaborate on the above FUN criteria as it relates to the Dark Familiars team concept. Note team concept, not roster. Rosters are easy to modify. Team concepts are not. So, that's why I place so much emphasis on the conceptual stages.

FLUFF. Without a background and imagery, you just have a bunch of numbers and skills. It's the background that makes them come alive. Some of the best of Blood Bowl comes from its background. There's a huge difference between a leaping elven blitzer and a Wardancer, or a frenzied dwarven blitzer and a Trollslayer. These are the type of things that make BloodBowl more than just a generic mixture of fantasy tropes and north american football. For Nuffle's (or Cuffle's) sake even if you don't get the background, realize that there are tons of coaches who greatly enjoy the extra richness that the "Warhammer Universe" adds to BloodBowl. I think the same sort of rich compatible universe should be developed in the Stunty Leeg.

So, what's the background of this Dark Familiar team? Quite simply it's magic! Magic is an integral part of BloodBowl. Whether it's the ability of nearly all conventional teams to hire a wizard, the good ole days of getting magic items for your players, or even experimental rules with on-pitch spellcasters, magic has always crept into the rules. But it's more than that. There are tons of background pieces that involve magic: Cabalvision, Extra-sensory Perception Network, Ethereal Archons, etc. Anyone remember the rainbow colleges of magic? Or am I dreaming that one up? Suffice it to say, magic is a big part of BloodBowl. But the Stunty Leeg is lacking in this department which is kind of sad because magic can be a great source of flavourful mayhem. Only 1 team (Faeries) can hire a wizard.

The Dark Familiars concept is going to rectify this vacuum. The team concept is based on the wizards from Cabalvision realizing like any good armchair quarterback, that they could manage a team way better than most of the riffraff that currently coaches in the Leeg. Since they are largely human, they couldn't play in the Leeg and after the on-pitch spellcasting fiasco of 2505, they had to find a way back into BloodBowl. The answer was simple: a rogue faction of wizards from ABC (can the fluffsters guess that acronym?) decided to enter a team comprised of their familiars. The United Sorcerers' Familiar Legion (USFL for you fans of football background) were wildly successful winning all 4 parts of the SLEDGE in 2507. Soon afterwards, many cabals of dark wizards (and their familiars) were seeking BloodBowl glory in the Stunty Leeg.

UNIQUE. I'd like to point you towards a list of stunty schticks. It makes it kid of hard to come up with something original that doesn't tread on territory that's already been traveled several times in the Leeg. I'm going to leave this rather open because I haven't got my mind set on a definitive roster.

The only thing I'm certain of is that I want the baseline player to be the Imp. It's a classic wizardly familiar and it's definitely a bit on the dark side. What will make an Imp unique? It's rather obvious and it flows quite naturally from the Fluff: Horns and Tails. I'm really heavily leaning towards ST 2 so that the horns will actually get used. Not much point in giving it to them if they will never blitz. And that's why I'm seriously considering making sure there is no Big Guy or Big Guy equivalent on the team who would do all the blitzing. But it's the tails that will be the schtick that sets this team apart.

This leaves room for at least a couple of other roster spots. I'd welcome any suggestions in this department. I only remember a few things from previous threads: Haemonculi (and the great psychology graphic that Peikko had to censor), Golems (although I'm not terribly partial to having a pseudo Big Guy on the roster), a Wrym or Mini-dragon (I'm intrigued by the B & C and Bombs combo that was discussed before). But honestly, I think their could be some fluffy small Dark Familars that could be added (particularly something that gives them a magical TTM ability). So post away! Even though I doubt that would have stopped you had I not asked for it Smile

NOVEL. The Stunty Leeg really came into its own when Secret Weapons were added. Then the mayhem exploded! So, what sets this roster apart from all the others in the mayhem department. Loads of tails may be fun, but the real mayhem comes from the familiars' masters. The team gets a FREE wizard every game. I'd like to think that would be enough novel mayhem that would set it above the rest of the various Stunty Leeg Proposals.

But if HunterX wants more mayhem, I'd be tempted to add another mayhemful schtick that I had thought of using on my long lingering Horrors of Tzeentch roster whose last incarnation included a Screamer: a low ST & high MOVE Ball and Chain. I'd prefer to leave that schtick for another roster even though it wouldn't be much of a background stretch to include it in this roster. I always try to remember the other good rosters that are making the rounds when I do up a proposal, as I'd hate to trample on their uniqueness or other pre-existing schticks.

So their you have it: the outlines of a Stunty Leeg proposal without a roster in sight. I'd love to see others try and create a thoughtful post instead of just jotting down some stats & skills. One can only dream...

Post   Posted: Jan 02, 2008 - 17:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I love how you gently insult the rest of us, instead of pumping yourselfup! It's so Canadian of you! Razz

I tried a familiar team a while ago, before I understood Stuny at all, because I love those little miniatures that used to be available for WHFB. I like the free wizard idea, and I like the Fluff. I would be inclined to not have a "standard" player, but a whole bunch of 0-4 positions, as familiars are a collection of crazy little dudes. I also think that might add even more uniqueness.

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 03:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Not bad too, good fluff, i like the concept, but i prefer the stunty demons with 4 chainsaw Very Happy
PhilMan

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 03:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The free wizard goes well with the fluff, but I agree with Macavity in that not having a stock player would be good, there are hundreds of types of familiers in the old world and to have a selection of them would be more representitive.

"Best Bar in This Street"
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 05:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
I love how you gently insult the rest of us, instead of pumping yourselfup! It's so Canadian of you! Razz

LOL True Dat! Wink
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 06:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

I tried a familiar team a while ago, before I understood Stuny at all, because I love those little miniatures that used to be available for WHFB. I like the free wizard idea, and I like the Fluff. I would be inclined to not have a "standard" player, but a whole bunch of 0-4 positions, as familiars are a collection of crazy little dudes. I also think that might add even more uniqueness.

I loved those old minis too. They were a large part of the inspiration for this roster.

As you can see, there are quite a few imp models. I want to keep the roster dark and with mini-humanoid familiars like these. I really don't want animals (bats, cats, toads, etc.). So that makes it a bit harder to come up with a bunch of 0-4 positionals (which would be UNIQUE). But if you have got any ideas, I'm all ears. Because as it stands, I'm really stuck with just 3 types: Generic Dark Familiar (jack-o-lantern, lune, etc.), imps, haemunculous (which I'm not sold on). And I might be tempted to do a little "dragonet".

Anyone know where I can find some painted versions of thes?

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 07:26 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
I loved those old minis too. They were a large part of the inspiration for this roster.

Just make stats for each of those figs and make them all 0-1! Very Happy
pikathulu

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

love the concept and especially idea of having 4x0-4 types + free wizzard. I think it would make up for lack of BG (and presumably G) access while bringing something new to stunty.

It would also solve the problem of a whole team with tail, which imo would stop a lot of the crazy stunty dodging we see today since most teams would be dodging 4+ with RR.

one of the 0-4 could be a mini-golem or sorts (they guard the wizzards labs, alerting them to intruders) with PO and thick skull/spikes. The name needs a little work, since i hate the idea of calling things mini-* or *ling, but i love the idea of st2+PO in stunty Smile

another idea is a 'crafted' which basically a graft of a bunch of usefull parts onto a helper(so they can fetch stuff, carry books around), so extra arms would be great here. Sure hands might be an option as well. This would also open up a bit more of a passing game, which i feel wizzards would like to see and would make the team strategicly different from a lot of other stunties.

we could have some sort of unstable familar which is overloaded with magic so acts like either a ball and chain or bomb, but this idea has already been done a fair bit with other teams, so unless someone can improve it, i would probable scratch it.

maby we could use elementals as well? summoned by the wizzards to help their team? or something with dauntless/guard to take on the other teams BGs?

So far this would have a team with imps for harrasing / blitzing, golems for blocking and damaging, crafted for catching and hand-offs and something else - maby more creative minds can come up with something.
Kalamona

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

if you need a unique imp i can lend you one. Smile
hunter

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't mind seeing a race that has 4 0-4 ST2 positionals, each with different skill access. That is, 4 with G, 4 with S, 4 with A, 4 with P. And throw some Ph in there somewhere. This is the type of concept that could accommodate such a race.

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a race that has 4 0-4 ST2 positionals, each with different skill access. That is, 4 with G, 4 with S, 4 with A, 4 with P. And throw some Ph in there somewhere. This is the type of concept that could accommodate such a race.

Yeah, that hardly sounds overpowered at all...
hunter

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
Yeah, that hardly sounds overpowered at all...

Question Seriously?

Well seeing as how there was no mention of other vitally important factors for any positions including:

MV
AG
AV
Cost
Starting Skills
Secret Weapons

...it certainly doesn't seem overpowered to me. Rather poor form to summarily and preemptively nay-say a concept without a logical basis or argument.

Not that I am particularly concerned about this concept really, I just like to see a bit more thought and construction in criticism. It seems to happen with nearly every new concept posted... very sad really, and off-putting to those considering developing and posting a new race concept.

Regards,
~hunter

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's one idea, based on the models:

0-4 "Creeping Claw"
3 2 3 4 - Agility access only
Stunty
Right Stuff
Big Hand (heh)
Very Long Legs (fingers, in this case)
Pass Block
Leap

If somebody who knows the formula could work out the cost...

Wizards quickly realized a giant, crawling hand would be useful on the pitch for flinging itself into the path of a pass sailing overhead and batting it down, or snatching the ball up from underneath a fierce melee.

Surprisingly strong, yet incredibly fragile, and not particularly quick on its feet (er...fingertips), but able to launch itself into the air almost as fast as it can run. Those long fingers get a good grip, wrapping all the way around the ball, then hanging on with one giant finger (or two) keeping hold while the others 'run' for the end zone...

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 21:04 Reply with quote Back to top

pikathulu wrote:
love the concept and especially idea of having 4x0-4 types + free wizzard. I think it would make up for lack of BG (and presumably G) access while bringing something new to stunty.

Your well thought out comments (not quoted) are really making me think this could be the best way to take the roster. Especially, after Macavity inspired me to dig up some pics of the old Chaos Familiars miniatures. It's nice to have some visuals to inspire and help share what my own limited words probably would be unable to describe fairly.
There could be the 4 familiar types:
"Imp": The teams blitzer with horns and tail. (naturally using the imp mini)
"Golem": The battle/bodyguard familiar probably with the fluffy Stand Firm (beastling, mannequin, armoured mite mini)
"Familiar": A classic fetching familiar maybe with the fluffy Sure Hands (scroll bearer, lune, jack-o-lantern)
"Homunculus": The power familiar imbued with the Sorcerer's intelligence and magic perhaps with magic inspired Strong Arm (walking book, bird thing, mystery imp minis)
Note: The names are placeholders. I'm hoping I/we can come up with some better ones for the last 2 or 3.

I think most of these would be unique and not stomp all over other teams schticks. Although the Stand Firm Golem would come close to duplicating the BrawlMart Scabs that Hunter has lately been paralleling with his much less fun and fluffy Sepulcher Sect. But I think this roster is much stronger and am not disappointed to see the BrawlMart Scabs just be a one shot roster if that increases the chances of the Dark Familiars being added.

I'm going to leave the specific stats for a latter date when I have more time, as it's likely going to be a long post with variants of each positional with varying degrees of Novel mayhem from which I'll likely pick my final roster from. Example Imp #1 Horns, Tail; Imp #2 Horn, Tail, Gen Access, Imp #3 Horn Tail, Gen Access, Wild Animal; etc.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism
Not Safe For FUMBBL Homunculus Pic

P.S. CorporateSlave, I'll keep the Hand in mind for a Star Player Laughing

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2008 - 21:22 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
Although the Stand Firm Golem would come close to duplicating the BrawlMart Scabs that Hunter has lately been paralleling with his much less fun and fluffy Sepulcher Sect.

lol... WOW! Shocked

Not very subtle or constructive, but I'll take the plug... thanks, Ego.

BTW, I have no idea what a BrawlMart Scab is, and your links don't help... please provide accurate information so I can see what I am paralleling.

Regards,
~hunter