39 coaches online • Server time: 00:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to keep the pot boiling I take issue with....

Quote:
have a strong grounding in probability

I disagree with this. You need a primary school grounding in statistics to deal with bloodbowl, each actual event is quite simple to calculate. Granted probability dosent move on much until you get past the start of A-level but its not exactly a strong grounding...

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Russo

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

I disagree with this. You need a primary school grounding in statistics to deal with bloodbowl

Is that why you stuggle so much on FUMBBL then Razz

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, knowing about the probabilities is one matter. The other matter is to overcome the urge to play on a gut level. Very Happy

Hogshine

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, gut level works best for me with Khemri. My gut instinct is to hit things, and that's all my khemri do. Plus, they're better at picking up the ball than most Ag4 teams currently Very Happy
Hogshine

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Mummies: I go for Guard and Tackle first of all.

Are we ignoring block here? Wink

With my Khemri at the moment, I basically do the same as you have said in this. However, I'm about to try and use blitz-ras solely for blitzing and breaking through, and keep thro-ras for ball carrying etc, until I'm at their endzone if I feel like doing some farming, or am running out of time to score.

Nice guide, liked the pictures. They've given me some more ideas for helping my defensive play, so thanks!
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay, khemri work quite well on a gut level. Maybe that's because their guts are either rotten away or kept separate pickled in a jar. Wink

Hayati

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

Quote:

I disagree with this. You need a primary school grounding in statistics to deal with bloodbowl, each actual event is quite simple to calculate. Granted probability dosent move on much until you get past the start of A-level but its not exactly a strong grounding...

Many of us can say the probability of a given event happening is say 70%...but how many of us can then explain precisely what this means?!! And better, apply that knowledge?

Probability is only really of use over the long term- it don't help so much for a single event. Actually, it don't help at all

Very Happy

Hayati

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Hogshine wrote:
Quote:
Mummies: I go for Guard and Tackle first of all.

Are we ignoring block here? Wink

With my Khemri at the moment, I basically do the same as you have said in this. However, I'm about to try and use blitz-ras solely for blitzing and breaking through, and keep thro-ras for ball carrying etc, until I'm at their endzone if I feel like doing some farming, or am running out of time to score.

Nice guide, liked the pictures. They've given me some more ideas for helping my defensive play, so thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to mention Block as it is the thing that everyone will take...have changed it to say so now!

SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Prasomchai wrote:
SillySod wrote:

Quote:

Many of us can say the probability of a given event happening is say 70%...but how many of us can then explain precisely what this means?!! And better, apply that knowledge?

Probability is only really of use over the long term- it don't help so much for a single event. Actually, it don't help at all

Very Happy

I disagree with most of that.

Sure you might have to do a few sums but most of them are really easy. The rest are handled by your brain as "tactics & strategy" so require having a grounding in bloodbowl rather than probability (and even less so, statistics, now that would be hardcore).

I think most people "know" what 70% means or (in other words) have a "feel" for whats right and whats not.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Hayati

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
I think most people "know" what 70% means

Enlighten us dude Wink

erzkanzler

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The glass is half full? More so than half empty?

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Also there is conclusive evidence that points to the fact that 70% is the figure that people are most likely to believe in bogus on the fly made up statistics.
Did you know that 70% of all the people reading this, will believe this to be true?

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll supply a more precise (but prolly fudged) version complete with a few bits added on to say what I think most people substitute in for the technical terms (when they think about it, not having learnt the technical terms dosent mean that you dont know it).

Without context I'd desribe it as an event or collection of sample points (an outcome, such as the flip of a bias coin getting heads) which has a probability measure of 0.7 (chance of occuring is 7/10) given Kolmogorov's axioms (which basicly say that something must happen, the chances are between 1 and 0, and something about all the numbers have to add up if they dont cross).

With context (i.e. in bloodbowl) I'd define it as the chance of something succeding or failing to achieve a particular in-game objective (maybe knocking a player over or scoring) and then it'd have a whole bunch more meaning based on the relative risks and rewards.

I don't think many (if any) players think beyond multiplying probabilities, not in a mathematical sense anyway (which is what you'd need a strong grounding in probability to do). If any player were to try and use statistical method to aid their bloodbowl (or analyse it) then I'd be truly impressed.

For the record, I dont have a good grounding in probability (much less statistics) but I think I have more than plenty for bloodbowl.

vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Back on the khemri topic: Are there any counter tactics against them?
If ball handling is their weakest spot, then it seems manifest to approach and bring down their ball carrier as soon as possible. Force them to pick up that ball again and again even with your last man standing.

Nazdakka

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2008 - 20:19 Reply with quote Back to top

On defence: Have a player with Kick, send the ball deep, and try to nail the ball carrier before the Mummies can protect him, or at least force the cage to form deep. Also, if the Mummies lack break tackle, they can be tied down quite nicely by bunging someone expendable in front of them and shifting the focus of play to somewhere else on the pitch. You want to avoid fighting against the Mummies and scrap with the skellies.
 Jump to: