51 coaches online • Server time: 10:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
belshamharoth

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi
im new to fumbbl but used to play bb a lot as a teenager.

Played a few ranked games now and have come across an interesting play used by quite a few players. If there is only a turn or 2 left and they are safe enough they wont score and 'run the clock down' on the scoring line only tding in the last turn.

Ok i see a point to this fair enough.

Played a game today where a guy did it at turn 3 odd. I had only 6 guys on the pitch all KOed or down or surrounded by 4 players + etc IE could do nothing to stop him.

So first turn try to dodge my few standing guy out he falls and get badly hurt.
Opponent continues to dance on the line.
I cant do anything about it so just end my turn straight away. If he wants to run a whole half down, ok i can let him do that id rather play but nothing i can do till he scores really.

After doing this for almost 5 turns he explains he cant score now cos it will look like we are cheating and i shouldnt just run down the turns without doing anything.

At this point id like to note i have nothing against the guy or the tactic or anything im just interested as to what is considered fair or allowed play.

So if your opponent just wants to run the clock down and u oblige by just ending your turn cos u have noone who can do anything but actions that would hurt them more by doing so is it wrong to just end the turn?

Seems you are allowed to run the clock down if u have the ball but not if u just want them to score so u can get players back or least just move it on to a point where u can do something again.

I can see some interesting points raised by both this tactic and how id respond to it by obliging them a bit cos i am only here for fun after all.

If its not in the spirit of the game to just end the turn isnt it also not in the spirit of the game not to try and score as much as poss cos this situation usually happens when most my team has become a casualty so if they just got a move on they could prob score a load more against me. Im not quite sure why the often run the clock down so often.

Just interested on what is considered correct play or if i am breaking etiquette or anything.

cheers
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

If they are stalling and you just end your turn, I would hope they crush the rest of your players into the ground. Why give up the SPP andCAS bonus for FF, or better chances in the second half. That said, I wouldn't stall if I was confident I'd have a big numbers advantage after the TD, since I can just score again (see above, Re: SPP and FF).

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:15 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, u were wrong just to lie there - unless it was the ONLY way not the die...

but yr opp was a 'tard to say he couldn't score at the end -

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooooh...can I answer this? Wink

I am fairly new too...I was dead against stalling when I first got here...

One piece of advice...suck it up! Get used to it...and learn to do it yourself...quickly...or you will lose a lot of games! Laughing

The best advice anyone gave me was this...playing on FUMMBL is not like real life...you could have 4-5 games here in the time it would take you to have 1 down your local club...so don't let it ruin your evening...just have another game...

Last edited by Bone-Idol on %b %21, %2008 - %22:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
Apocrypha

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

There's ettiquette in Blood Bowl?

Just kidding.

I've come across a few stallers as well. It's not exactly against the rules but people do it just the same. I've tried to not stall at all in my games and score if I can but stall if I don't think I have the luck for my GFI rolls.

If you're in a game where a guy is stalling and you don't have the position to stop him from scoring but still have the ability to hurt him...well...I suggest hurting him. The last time a guy stalled on me I fouled and killed his ogre. He won the game but that's an expensive loss.
Mates

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if I understood you right your opponend has stalled for almost entire half without you having any chance to do something about that. That's probably the most dirty and bad sportsmanship tactic I have ever experienced here. Unfortunately, it's completely allowed. You can be at least happy that he didn't foul that few players you had left Wink

By the way , welcome to Fumbbl Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Nah it didnt bother me at all i just thought it was an odd tactic and an odd reply to me just passing my turns. Dont mind loosing or dieing really only dabling for fun as i said.

Im not against stalling i just dont quite see the point if im so dead they could just score more. IF people are are happy to let me just pass my turn i dont mind them stalling all they want if im in such a situation i cant do anything bout it
Optihut

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is what you do - forget about the ball, rally your remaining players and gang up on a lone guy of the opponent. Foul that guy to death. Opponent stalls and scores, but loses a player, game doesn't look fishy, specs are loving it, everybody wins.
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

People here are not happy if you just click end turn, thats whats lame here not the stalling. you allmost all ways have a chance to stand a guy up and maybe dodge and get a 1dice block or something there no excuse for just clicking next turn. It might even be considered against the rules since you just let him score teams have been retired for that many times before.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Never give up! Hail and Kill to your last breath, and beyond.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

You stated that you're not against the tactic so I won't explain why its ok or whatever, you sound like you know.

What you did was absolutely fine and in many cases it can be a sound strategy. Usually you can do more to prevent a stall but more often than not (especially when you're new) knowing when you need to keep those players safe for the next half and when you don't can be game winning. Some people will attempt to foil this by gangfouling your players, again you need to work out if thats something you can afford to take, often it is as they are fouling their players out faster than yours.

With alot more experience you will find two things: first, you do not get into that situation very often any more. Second, you know exactly what to do in that situation and maybe you might even know some nifty tricks to get the ball back or prevent a score (and when its worth using these).

Good luck.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

mymLaban wrote:
People here are not happy if you just click end turn, thats whats lame here not the stalling. you allmost all ways have a chance to stand a guy up and maybe dodge and get a 1dice block or something there no excuse for just clicking next turn. It might even be considered against the rules since you just let him score teams have been retired for that many times before.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Especially if it is the first half, preserving your team can be paramount to a win. Sometimes the best way of preserving your team is to click end turn, especially for new players.

If it is a valid tactic it isnt lame. Thats the theory behind stalling in any case.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:40
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Stalling is fine - that's his choice. Now, your choices:

1. Pressure the ball, force him to score. Sometimes you can just move a guy near enough to make an opponent want to score. However, often a team will have a rock solid position and you can't make a move on the ball. That brings us to option 2.

2. Isolate one of his players and kill him. Use your blitz to create a 2 dice block somewhere on a player, knock him down and get a few assists. Foul him. Repeat until the opponent scores. Sometimes even this is not possible - you may be pinned down and get flattened everytime you stand. There remains option 3.

3. Lie on the ground and wait for your opponent to score. This is a legitimate way to deal with the situation - after all, why get up if you'll just get hammered again next turn? Your opponent can foul you, but that may draw the referee's attention.
morraywolfymax

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say I will do whatever it takes to win, stall, foul & crowd push. When I get stalled against I will try and leap the guys and get the ball carrier, when I'm fouled I will try and take advantage of the players used on the foul to get the ball carrier, when I am crowd pushed I shall try and crowd push back! failing that foul someone! ;D

Dizzie Rascal.
'You need a hard back, stern face, play your position line, know your place!'
xen7ric

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2008 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like you came across a pretty extreme stall and quite possibly did the best thing if you were really badly outnumered and more than one Blitz away from the ball carrier.

Guy's a sucker for not scoring at the end though Laughing
 Jump to: