47 coaches online • Server time: 16:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Vamps win another ma...goto Post 1150 - OWA TT Tourna...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
megafreak666

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 06:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Mully,

Yeah, no kidding!

I challenged an ork coach the other day who wouldn't play a pretty much identically rated chaos team. The big guy and chaos warriors intimidated him. Orks are just as bashy, and I've seen some that are downright frightening! (Like the one that pulled apart my Pact team the other day)
Death to wussie coaches!
psikobunny

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Legend wrote:
also... isn't there a rule for challenging coaches in the LRB? I thought FUMBBL was completely based on that...

Rules for challenges are in the running a league section, not the rules of play. Fumbbl follows one and not the other.
Jared

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

with my teams i look at my team and the opponent team. i wont play khemri/ogre unless i have undead/khemri or maybe ogre. with a low chance with cpact lizard, or chaos as that gives me a fair fight, i wont play a fragile team against Khemri because i know its a team based on hurting,

on the other hand i usually give anything else a go, i like amazon vs orc or amazon vs chaos games, its just the extreme kill teams i get picky on, that and i like close ish Tr and Tstr

XXXtreme ball with added XX
Khaan

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner wrote:
Khaan wrote:
Need more goblins.

then stop talking silly and make one!

or are you one of those dwarfen coaches that want to play goblins and still say:"Hey, you have the same strength/ rating".

Why do people always think others should be prey? If all people would play bashers, you would have noone else to play against... consider that...

Cheers

Couldn't be bothered to check my teams before you commented I guess?

While it's almost funny how extremely misplaced your comment became, I do agree with you. I've had 70str advanced dwarves (making them basically double as strong as me) challenge my gobos.
Fudge

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with a lot of coaches, I play for fun and if i am positive that i will not have a team after a game i will not play it.
I like many with me find that PO and even to some exctent fouling ( please do not start another fouling thread ) are broken.
I do not take PO ( unless stunty league where anything goes, or tournaments where the soul goal is winning ), because i think it is broken and i therefor do not play people with PO most of the time.

But the worst part isn´t the skills in them selfs, it´s some of the coaches that have them.
They try to utterly destroy teams not letting up one bit, but going for the unnessary foul or PO block even though the game is practicly over.
The ones that try to damage teams att all cost and ruin them for other coches it´s them you have to thank for people not playing coches with these skills, because you can never tell when you meet one.

Now don´t get me wrong i play bashy teams to and i will never complain about a block ( unless over the side line turn 8 2nd half ) i say take every block you can here atleast you take a chance and have to roll over the armour ( unlike with PO on st 4 or 5 where the armour practicly dissaperes ), but it´s the bad sportsmanship that upsets most.

Like if some one is stalling to win, ok fine ( i also stall sometimes ) but I don´t start to hunt down the others players and foul and try to oblitterate because i find it in bad taste to kick on someone who is down.

(Sure this has probably cost me a few games, but both have had fun and i will have an opponent to play next time.)

It´s the kind of players that Do every thing in thier power just to damage the other players team that are the root to the problem, so go herass them for ruining it for you instead of herassing the players who don´t want to be the victims of it.
Pernicion

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Alittle drunk here and I just couldn't be bothered reading all the posts..
I've been thinking along similar lines of late (to something someone said) and as a result I haven't got a game for a week. I am new to fumbbl (although I have played Blood Bowl since the early '90's.. or was it the late '80's? so much blurring) and I initially took pretty much any game. I've played some teams that were much stronger than me and also some pretty scary matches.. generally I've faired well. Generally I've lost.
It occurred to me that I almost always except the first challenge/offer I get. Yet, when I ask others to play me I almost always get knocked back. Unfortunately I don't have the time to sit around all day.. I usually play in the evenings after work and while my 10 month old daughter is asleep.. and as many games as I can squeeze in on the weekends ( 3 or 4 if I'm lucky to find the time and except the first match I am offered ).
In the last week I decided to only challenge against teams I would like to play. That is any team of similar strength and similar skill spread. Throughout the last week I have been knocked back everytime. and that's looking for a game for my Amazons. I was told once that my opponent to be didn't have any defence against 'blodge' players.
"Are you sure you don't want to play?" I asked.. hoping.

I don't really mind loosing or getting whipped into frothy gore. I really just love the game and want to play.. It would just be nice to win half the time.. and to not be forever challenged by teams 20+ points stronger.

I dunno what I'm saying.. All that stuff I guess. I'm gonna go to bed now.

I just want my Amazons to get closer to Storxx's SharpShooters so that we can have a rematch..

Cheers.

oh.. and here's my matches.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=matches&coach=2935&start=0

Wink
HoboJed

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I pretty much play purely bashy teams, but I don't play them as bashily as a lot of other players. The only armour/injury modifier I really ever take is Mighty Blow (Other than that, I've taken claw once, and I keep meaning to get a Dirty Player for some of my teams merely for tactical reason, but I never seem to get around to it....), and even then I usualy get a few other skills before getting it (at higher levels it tends to become needed so that other bashy teams don't keep getting a number advantage over you). In fact a lot of my bashy teams have lower average casualties than a lot of dodgy teams, and admittedly my teams haven't got the best win records, but I have been known to play teams anywhere up to 50str greater than mine...(although I have to admit that my ogre team's record is more to do with my general incompoitence at playing them, than anything else Embarassed ). I still get a lot more games against bashy teams (some people won't even bother looking at rosters), but I get a fair share of games against dodgy teams.

As for playing other bashy teams....I've got nothing against it....except when a) it's obvious the potential opponent only wants to kill my players (which is why I'm more prepared to play Wuhan than Deathgerbil, as at least Wuhan plays to win) and/or b) the potential opponent is obviously preying on weaker teams (although I will accept these matches as long as the opponent doesn't also fall under category "a", and the strength gap isn't too much....call me crazy, but I enjoy playing games that aren't stacked in my favour from the start...it's more of a challenge, you don't have to feel ashamed about losing, and you get gloater's rights when you win Mr. Green )

Also, I don't see the point of taking skills simply to advance your team, the faster your team advances, the faster it plays against stronger teams (so therefore you only get a benefit if you can use your skill choice more wisely than other players)...but then I play enough matches that slow advancement doesn't bother me.... also I like having my teams spread out through different ratings, as it gets me more potential game offers. Fast advancement doesn't help that as you soon end up with a bunch of 200+ strength teams and no game offers....besides, I find a lot of players are good enough at 2 or 3 skills at higher levels (espescialy with aging making players with more skills potential retirees). Not that I complain when they go above that (unless they age, which they seem to almost invariably do Mad), but I'm not to bothered if that is where they stay. Therefore what is the point of taking Piling on for your first skill to get skills 2, 3 and 4 faster, if getting skills 1, 2 and 3 will accomplish the same thing without Piling On for 20 spp less (assuming of course that you are only using Piling On to advance your team as some players seem to suggest).

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to say, but I got lost somewhere along the line, and can't even remember where I was when I started...... Confused
Chickenbrain

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Btw the_legend.. challenging system would allow you to challenge my gobbos. And thats not really funny at all to be forced to conceede or play monster teams with a goblin team. (Which is for fun, and nothing else)

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hobojed wrote:
Also, I don't see the point of taking skills simply to advance your team, the faster your team advances, the faster it plays against stronger teams (so therefore you only get a benefit if you can use your skill choice more wisely than other players)...

Well said.

I can see the point in trying to make a player or two advance faster. Maybe that's part of what you enjoy ("I know I do," says the coach of the current #6 all time passer who hogs all my COMPs just to get and stay there), however I think that more people need to consider stuff like this. Player advancement can be fun, but it's not the only fun part of playing and not the only goal to consider when building a team. <insert gratuitous "there is no I in team"-type slogan here>

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok.. kind of new here so I apologise in advance for any stupid questions or comments.

It seems to me that there are basically two kinds of play being discussed here:

The second doesn't want the full risk of having players injured. by full risk, I mean FULL... having teams built as the rules allow regardless of whether or not it's considered sportsmanlike.

One wants full-on contact with all of the risks that come with it. These people also want to play all of the different types of teams that exist.

Personally, I prefer the second style. I only have two teams now because I can't get anyone to play. However, as much as I like pounding on things with my bashy teams, I like getting smeared on the field while attempting to make spectacular plays with my AGI teams or just trying to survive with halflings or gobbos. For me, it's ALL fun. Is there any way we could just set up a division where everyone laying there can agree that it's fine to challenge gobbos with dwarves and fouling is part of the game? It sounds like there are plenty of folks who hold this view, so I suggest setting up a common chat and division so that we can enjoy this style of play without taking from the fun of others.

I want to put the Blood back in BloodBowl.... regardless of whether I have to spill it or donate it Wink
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Grundl wrote:
...put the Blood back in BloodBowl...

I am so proud of everyone here.

Yes, pat yourselves on the back. It took 3 whole pages to get to the most common remark on these (or any other BB-related) forums. It's Miller time.

And to think, I almost forgot the name...

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 19:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Grundl wrote:
I want to put the Blood back in BloodBowl.... regardless of whether I have to spill it or donate it Wink

FOUL! Illegal use of tired catchphrase-- Half the distance to the goal, and automatic first down, plus we have removed all the drinks form your locker room at halftime.

Seriously- you may have had a point but saying that made me lose it in the rage. There is a division such you suggest, its called Open. Y'all just need to get over the fact that sometimes people don't want to play what you got to offer. (that's general 'you' not specific 'you').

Another thing people are forgetting by wrapping this argument up in style of play wrapping paper is that High TR teams are by and large unheard of in most BB leagues. Fumbbl offers a unique opportunity for number of games and possibiltiy for advancement. I had only ever seen one 200+ TR team in my life before I joined here. BB wasn't really designed for ad infinitum leagues.

Last point- looky here and compare the team counts for teams below (150-199) and above (200-249) the 200 mark. There is a good reason you can't find games, the sheer number of competitors drops by around 75%!!!!
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL. If the name was Geek Bowl, you would have people claiming to put the GEEK, back in Geekbowl.

I do not recall seeing one drop of blood spilled during a game. Since when can pewter bleed?

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Careful, dw. Them spiky bits are sharp...

Post   Posted: Oct 15, 2003 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Grundle/Legend/others (including myself sometimes) - each night why doesn't someone just create a chat room called #blood (or something equally stupid). All coaches looking to get a bashy game in, or have bashy type teams that want a game, sign in.

Then for example, when I log onto #fumbbl, I can also log onto #blood, look at the coach list, and start sending out challenges to coaches that are more likely to play me. If nothing else, it will save the time challenging 5-6 guys in the normal chat room who have no intention of playing a bashing team.

PS - sorry if I introduced any logic to this thread.

Mully

Jump to: