55 coaches online • Server time: 11:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post 7s for fummbl?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lao

Post 22 Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that GW has changed their online store in the hopes of making us all buy 2 teams to get 16 players...

Do any of you know of websites where I can buy individual players? Preferable in Europe, but any shop that'll ship to Europe is fine too!

Thanks,

Lao
Wilf

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

Try Tritex games or Impact Miniatures, they all ship to Europe. Tritex has full teams and individual players, both GW and alternative manufacturers, and Impact has its own selection.

Enjoy!
dogstar

Post 12 Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

www.ebay.co.uk is always a good move.
magan174

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah Impact are really good. And they had some new models released yesterday.

http://www.impactminiatures.com/
Tesifonte

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice move from GW.

TaChIkOmA! \o/
lao

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Does impact only sell custom made teams? I can't seem to find any undead players...

To be specific: i'm looking for a wood elf and an undead team.

Thanks!
kn00b

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 12:52 Reply with quote Back to top

So you know, GW has lost nearly 75% of it's share price over the last five years, and is dropping market share to other companies very quickly. GW recently closed a store near where I am and I haven't seen any BB product in a GW store since 2002. Many independent hobby stores near me have stopped carrying GW product entirely - their customers claim it's too expensive. They're rejigging their online store because under their current model, having you pay less than $3.50 per piece of plastic is unviable. In WH40k, the Ork Boyz set went from $45 cdn for sixteen models to $35 for ten models - making each Ork almost 70 cents more dear. I think we'll soon see GW bought up by Hasbro.
Khudzlin

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't seen minis for the LRB5 Nurgle team anywhere. Has GW even made those?
Leniyuhl

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

@kn00b: Well... how about the money from the warhammer online? wont that bump their economy quite a bit?
magan174

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

kn00b wrote:
So you know, GW has lost nearly 75% of it's share price over the last five years, and is dropping market share to other companies very quickly. GW recently closed a store near where I am and I haven't seen any BB product in a GW store since 2002. Many independent hobby stores near me have stopped carrying GW product entirely - their customers claim it's too expensive. They're rejigging their online store because under their current model, having you pay less than $3.50 per piece of plastic is unviable. In WH40k, the Ork Boyz set went from $45 cdn for sixteen models to $35 for ten models - making each Ork almost 70 cents more dear. I think we'll soon see GW bought up by Hasbro.

When I have been talking to GW personal and staff that used to work with GW they all answer me the same. Blood Bowl will never come back to the shelves. It is not as collectable as the other games. A coach could settle with a box of twelve players and be fine. If you play Warhammer twelve players wouldn't get you far. So BB doesn't sell that much and GW is a company, not a charity, and would want to earn money.

-magnus
Leniyuhl

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

That much is obvious, GW has grown too big. The best thing for bbl would be if a smaller company that could actually earn money on it would by the bbl rights.
VampireHarlequin

Post 18 Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Games workshop used to be about the games, man. Now they've changed.
Seriously, they treat everything like politics. It's about damage management, PR and spin. For example, the decision to massively reduce the amount of 'Bitz' items they sell (for example, single B.B. miniatures) They didn't announce this move. Why? 'Cos they knew it would be unpopular, and didn't want people giving them a tough time over it, so it's just easier to sneak it out and the customers can just spin. Next comes the 'damage management' of glossing over what everyone knows is a purely profit serving, customer-frustrating policy. "It's great because..." follwed by a weak excuse, when everyone know that if they honestly thought it was beneficial for everyone, they'd have made a song and dance about it, rather than act like a school kid who has to tell teacher he hasn't done his homework.
The easier option? Well, if your business is failing, and you're contemplating making a decision that you have to keep a secret because you know it's going to be massively unpopular, you should really just come up with another plan. Maybe one that will endear you to the customers, rather than anger them? just a thought.
They obviously think that when customers complain, it's simply an iritant that needs to be controlled/ignored/silenced. This is the unofficial reason why they closed the message boards. But instead of silencing criticism, from the poeple who are the sole life blood of the company no less, why not, you know, actually listen to them?
Criticism is always hard to take, sometimes it's presented in a way that is designed purely to offend, or rant, but often, it can be a good thing. If taken on board, it can guide a person, or company, to a better way of doing things.
It's so hard for so many people (or, again companies) to take on board, becuase of ego, pride, or on a larger scale, the negative affects of bad PR. but in the end, if so if everyone's harshly criticising a decision or type of behaviour, it won't be silenced. People complain because they're upset with a situation, not simply because their fellow peers/customers are kicking up a stink. It's not like people will be happy just as long as they don't hear other people voicing what they're thinking. The best way to deal with a problem is to take stock of it and remedy your behaviour. Which is precisely what G.W. really must start doing!
If what they're doing (P.R., Spin, ignorance) isn't working, the next logical step is to try something else. Like maybe some honesty and receptiveness.
Ok, preaching to the converted I'm sure. I would rather G.W.'s fortunes picked up, it'd mean more players and more respect for the the hobby. But I must admit, in light of their ignorant, bullish attitude, profit worship and extortionate prices, there's gonna likely be a collective twinge of 'Told-you-so-itis' from the ranks of customers G.W. likes so often mis-treats...
Now would be a time to set up a rival company. It'd be like a 'Dirty Player' kick to the ribs... Twisted Evil
Lakvin

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

You guys make it sound like being forced to re-mortgage your house so you can finish off your WHFB army is too much to ask. Seriously, what do you need that house for anyway???
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

If GW were to go bankrupt I don't think too many fans would shed tears over that. I can foresee a major decline in GW in the years to come, so says my crystal ball atleast.

CaienCamelle

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2008 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to say that Games Workshop are suffering the consequences of the last decade of overpricing.I don't know whether that's true in terms of corporate strategy or not but it would certainly be satisfying.

Basically GW's initial success was down to tapping into the wealth of teenagers with remarkably creative games in remarkably powerful worlds. The fun you could have with a GW game could rival the relatively primitive computer games of the time.

Then in the mid/late 90s GW moved everything down an age bracket - focusing on 12-year-olds rather than 16-year-olds. Rulesets were simplified and White Dwarf started being babytalk. At the same time, unit prices on everything went up - a lot.

I do suspect that going wholeheartedly for the kids' market meant limiting their staying power. Kids born in the year 2000 or 2005 aren't going to spent their teenage years playing Warhammer and its different variants: too much is available online and even really cool miniatures won't cut the mustard any more.

The market for GW games now is not kids but people who played GW when they were kids and now have the disposable income (but probably not the time!) to do it again...
 Jump to: