57 coaches online • Server time: 18:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Joul_Ironhand

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps I should start team building for the Fumbbl Cup from Today ^^
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Today?? You`re way too late... Wink
Joul_Ironhand

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol.
Maybe I was talking about the 2009 Fumbbl Cup.

Or maybe you were...
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
L forces me to play one game every week, or two weeks, or whatever, and I honestly don't know if I can guarantee that committement.

R, on the other hand, is perfect for Casual play. I can enter gamefinder and find a game whenever I want in 1 minute...

Yep - you're exactly right. [L] isn't the place for very casual FUMBBLers, I'm afraid, as it stands. You're either tied into a schedule, or you don't play [L] since the split. And that's a shame, IMO. I do know a number of coaches that only play in [L], and order their RL around the two or three games a week they have to schedule in their leagues, but they're a die-hard breed! This is the group I'd end up in if I had to cut back any further than I already have (down to about 1 game every 2 days, I guess. Which is still a few, but isn't Dread or Emp levels! Puts me at about 2-3 [R] games a weekish). But I also know the opposite, guys that play numerous FUMBBL games, but have to take weeks off sometimes and can't or won't commit to a set schedule. We lose a fair few coaches from [L]'s potential catchment area here, much as some of these guys would love to be a part of a good league with all of the benifits that affords, [R]'s ease of use will always win out for a certain percentage.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 14:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Joul_Ironhand wrote:
Lol.
Maybe I was talking about the 2009 Fumbbl Cup.

Or maybe you were...

58 matches since Jan 23rd. There's still hope:)

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Uhh jan often I see eye to eye with you. But not now. Duke T mentioned that what he loved with majors is that he can keep playing the team after the turnement I second that. L teams with a few execptions just dissapear after. Jan said that majors was the same teams and coaches. Isent that excactly what we want to see. The NFL or any other major sports league people have there favorite team and cheer for them it would be quite boring if it was some unknown team in the superbowl each year.

Then there is always the discussion with major prizes and birthday pimped and all but I dont feal like going into that.

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
pac

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

BTW, we should note that '[L] games are scheduled games' is just a convention. There's no reason why instant tournaments could not take place in [L]. Indeed, given how common it is for none of the (small number) of people able to start a Smack to be available, such a system - with a huge staff list - might in some ways be more practical. The main issue is the 'hump' of getting people into [L] (difficult due to advertising and inertia, as discussed).
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh (but just to play Devil's advocate Qaz, I'm not sure how much of this even I agree with), the Giants won the Superbowl because they were the best team. They had to play a fair schedule that they didn't pick, and they played the same number of games as everyone else. They didn't crank out 23 games on a day where they couldn't take injuries, prey on the Dolphins for all but 1 game of their season, or have a bank balance big enough to hire Peyton Manning and Zach Thomas in the Superbowl where the Pats didn't.

But I see the point. Team continuity is great. But the reasons you don't get it in [L] aren't just because people get fed up, it's tough to keep a team going in a division with no one-off games.

Edit: Yar pac, agreed. Why I said 'as it stands'. Change would be great! Smile

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %12, %2008 - %14:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The TR100 No progression could work in [L] with decent promotion on the site.
You know that the team is not going anywhere right from the start.

TR200 forget it. Many top coaches won't have a competitive team that they want to use.
There goes your kudos straight away. If the big name coaches are not there then it's not a big tournament.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
TR200 forget it. Many top coaches won't have a competitive team that they want to use.
There goes your kudos straight away. If the big name coaches are not there then it's not a big tournament.

No one ever said it was going to be easy. Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
Uhh jan often I see eye to eye with you. But not now. Duke T mentioned that what he loved with majors is that he can keep playing the team after the turnement I second that. L teams with a few execptions just dissapear after. Jan said that majors was the same teams and coaches. Isent that excactly what we want to see. The NFL or any other major sports league people have there favorite team and cheer for them it would be quite boring if it was some unknown team in the superbowl each year.

Then there is always the discussion with major prizes and birthday pimped and all but I dont feal like going into that.

The point is different: you're SUPPOSED to be a spectator of the NFL.
On Fumbbl, you could take part, if only there weren't uberteams built just-for-that.

Now, the same could apply to NFL... I'm not the quarterback of Miami because there's a guy who trains every week and is so much better than me at the job that Miami decided to pay him instead of me.
But Fumbbl isn't real life. Isn't Fumbbl supposed to aim for the "max fun for the higher number of coaches" approach? If so, Majors fail imho. (not bitter about R Majors, mind you, just explaining you the difference).

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Not quite true. Those who refuse are those who like uberteams (which LRB4 wasn't meant for anyway) and/or broken or easy matchups, with very few exceptions. The "cool" top coaches would just build a team in a couple days for that TR, and compete. And voilĂ , we would have a nice environment with no lamers but only the truly competitive big ones. Exactly what we would love to see.

The difficult part of this cunning plan, of course, is marketing Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

To me, the one big difference between many of the really interesting and challenging [L] tournaments as opposed to the [R] tournaments is there's never a chance for munching on cherries or noobs inbetween games. Its a slog all the way and it creates a very different style of game. Ranked tourneys, no matter what they do will never entice me anymore (I did play in one) because they dont have that magic ingredient.

As for prizes and options for [L] tourneys I'd love to see some extra features, it could be so much more than it is now. I agree with JanMattys about prizes not actually being a good thing for the top teams. It just makes the best teams better. But...I'd like to give prizes to the lads who get the wooden spoon in a tourney (for both sticking it out when the going is tough and to give them a much needed leg up if they've been mauled).

Lots more ideas in my head, but dinner is calling right now...!
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, we already have the OCCS.

Get 64 or 128 teams into the Reikland Rookie Cup and we'll know we're in business.

It would still be a long road to 64 or 128 in the Albion Regional Challenge.

Might want to negotiate the 'Sudden death overtime' and 'No Stars' policy to become 'endorsed' tournaments.

As I'm accustomed to losing in the first round I'm not so keen on creating a new team for every tournament Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2008 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, the OCCS has been in my mind here.

The main thing I would note about it is that it fits into the category mentioned earlier of [L] tournaments which run to schedules over relatively long periods. There are a lot of coaches (who play an awful lot of games) for whom this is not attractive.
 Jump to: