35 coaches online • Server time: 01:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teamsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bram

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2008 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers to all,

Naturally I'm a wood elf player, but my second team was (and still is) Chaos Dwarves. I'm outrun by agility/running teams and outbashed by bashing teams (they tend to take down the hobgoblins first and the dwarves follow once I'm outnumbered).

I'm currently playing this team, the Twisted Blunderbussers http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=420457. The question is, how do you properly play Chaos Dwarves (with the purpose to win as many games as possible)? I experience that many teams don't even want to play Chaos Dwarves, but on the few occasions that they do, they just punish me. Mind me, my team is in a relatively good condition (believe me, for several times I was on the point of retiring this team), but somehow I don't know how to WIN GAMES with this team.

So my question is, is there a general strategy for Chaos Dwarves about how to WIN games? I mean, inflicting casualties is nice, but in the end I wanna win some games as well. Any general advice, guidelines, wild thoughts are welcome.

Bram
Diabl0658

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2008 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

its all about knowing who to foul. Foul gutter runners or catchers when playing skaven/elfs, and foul high strength players with guard when playing bashers

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2008 - 01:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Score with the hobgoblins, make sure to protect them and they are suprisingly good. Your +AG hobgoblin is pure gold.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
FLo711

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2008 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Sod good versatile hobgoblins are the key, make sure you have an evenly skilled complement and you will have options in all situations.

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2008 - 02:50 Reply with quote Back to top

you need at least two dirty players. Many coaches use bull centaurs as ball carriers, I don't agree with this. You need to develop your hobgoblins as ball handlers and run a loose cage, using your mobile bulls to punch holes. I wouldn't ever take a minotaur (unless you're in LRB 5). It's a little (a very little) like playing humans - you need to play to your game plan, not your opponent's. And yea - foul a lot.
Astarael

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2008 - 04:09 Reply with quote Back to top

You don't need to foul a lot... Use your CDBlockers to tie up annoying players, with av9 thick skull they can take it. Use the BC to threaten the ball on defense and to protect the ball carrier on offence, blitzing and returning to near the carrier. Use hobgoblins to carry the ball, and generally fill gaps, take skills like dt to make them a pain to elves, or utlities like kick.

Use a "loose cage" structure on offence, but a specialized one. I find the ball carrier in centre with the 2 BC nearby and then hobgoblins creating a wall away to the sides works well. But yeah, i find fouling helps with any race because well... it does.. Another good skill pick for a hobgob.

Post 18 Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I would not go stripball on a bull, Strip ball is an elf skill.. Often if you go for that sack with you bull, the bull usually ends up having two dices anyways, why not just knock him down instead?
Strip ball is not worth it on a cd team, all players on the cd team is either to slow, or got to low ag to pick it up. Again strip ball is an elf skill.
You gonna grind Twisted Evil
Instead Ill chose Mblow on that 3 skill.. you blitz with you bulls all the time, it will pay of with all those blitzes, and get guard on the 4 (you can never have to much guard). You can consider tackle, depends on who you usually play, I just find it hard myself, to get any elf or amazon matches with my cd's Very Happy

Cage the ball, get as much guard and mblow as possible, get some dirty players, and be patient. Smile The casualties will come. Cool [/code]
SillySod

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Stripball is not really the right choice for a 3rd/4th skill, obviously break tackle and block come first but after that you're much better off getting a skill like tackle. I probably wouldnt get mighty blow until after tackle, simply because you want to make sure you take the ball carrier (or key player) down, grinding is for your chaos dwarfs and DPs. A skill like guard is also pretty useful looking on a bull, it helps him support the hobgoblins... a mobile, strong guard is never a bad player.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
xcver

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Stripball is not really the right choice for a 3rd/4th skill, obviously break tackle and block come first but after that you're much better off getting a skill like tackle. I probably wouldnt get mighty blow until after tackle, simply because you want to make sure you take the ball carrier (or key player) down, grinding is for your chaos dwarfs and DPs. A skill like guard is also pretty useful looking on a bull, it helps him support the hobgoblins... a mobile, strong guard is never a bad player.

I agree totally with that.

barring any doubles or stats my bulls would develop like this

Block, Break Tackle, Tackle, Mighty Blow, Guard

On the hobbos or CDs I also like a kicker (huge fan of that skill Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Kick should go on the first chaos dwarf to get a 3rd skill with no doubles, stats, or aging. You want to keep one back a little and central anyway and chaos dwarfs have no other really useful skills beyond guard and mighty blow otherwise.

Hobgoblins have far more skills to take and dont last as long anyway, dont give them kick Smile

JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Kick should go on the first chaos dwarf to get a 3rd skill with no doubles, stats, or aging. You want to keep one back a little and central anyway and chaos dwarfs have no other really useful skills beyond guard and mighty blow otherwise.

Pro.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

Hobgoblins have far more skills to take and dont last as long anyway, dont give them kick Smile

I like pro as third skill to get a simple way too reroll those annyoing double pushes into blood and mayhem SmileRazz Kick on my hobbo was an error...it was june 2005 and somehow he survived 77 games...

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro, shadowing, DP, passblock on important players usually indicates that they've run out of decent skills. Personally I dont like pro.... I like doing the 2D blocks first because they're not risky, pro basicly makes them risky again. Having one with kick instead of a hobbo with kick is still the way to go Smile

JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Pro, shadowing, DP, passblock on important players usually indicates that they've run out of decent skills. Personally I dont like pro.... I like doing the 2D blocks first because they're not risky, pro basicly makes them risky again. Having one with kick instead of a hobbo with kick is still the way to go Smile

I've never had Pro myself, basically because human blitzers top at 76 spps without doubles (guard, mightyblow, tackle, stripball, shadowing), but I'd definitely value Pro high on a Dwarf team. Of course, you have to use it with some salt, not to hear the whole spec chat exploed with /n00b sounds when you pro-reroll into a doubleskull which makes you lose the game.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2008 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the advice.

I know, the strip ball was a beginner's mistake. My first team was a wood elf team, that's probably why at the time I thought it was a good idea to give the bull strib ball as well. That was before having played 20 games on fumbbl, but the bull survived so far and I'm not gonna fire him now.

So kick is better on a dwarf than on a hobgoblin because the dwarf survives longer, right? But it can take many games before another dwarf gets his third skill. Maybe meanwhile giving it anyway to a gobbo could be an interim solution? Or should I go for more dirty players (gobbos) as a priority?

Also, what to do with +AG on dwarves? I took it twice (one already died or retired), but it looks like a useless stat increase to me...
 Jump to: