36 coaches online • Server time: 16:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Record the length of...goto Post 145 League and Tourn...goto Post killing by fun?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I just had a team of flings tear pieces form my dark elves. What are your recommendations when fighting teams you know will foul a lot.

If they outnumber you, you cannot get into a fouling contest as each guy tossed by the ref hurts you more than him.

If you bunch up, he will score TDs and win the game.

If you spread out and body up man to man, he will pick you apart one by one with gang fouling.

Add to that trees with guard and various other nasty suprises.

What is your general game plan when you go into a match against a team that fouls quite a bit?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

1- Don't let key players alone.
2- Don't foul back
3- Get sidestep (not really applicable to that game)

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont play multiple dp's when you have none yourself is my 1st rule of play.
TheSpoonyBard

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Ummm.... Yeah

While you're at it, don't play anyone with tackle if you have dodgers.

And don't play anyone with guard unless you have some too.

In fact, don't play anyone who might ever conceivably be difficult to beat.

Or, you know, ignore Eghost, play them, and learn how to beat them. And become a better player in the process.

As to how to beat DPs, well, it's quite simple. Focus on the ball. Protect your key players, but overall don't worry about getting fouled. Just remember that the winner is determined by who scores more touchdowns, not who kills more.

~Robert Wilensky

http://thespoonybard.mybrute.com/
TexMurphy

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Im a noob so you propably shouldnt listen to me but...

I would assume that stalling increases the chance of you getting fould. Playing agressive on the ball and constant focus on scoring surely must be good against fouling. I might be naive but if you stall and fight then he will have time to foul. If you score, score and score he will have to focus on scoring. Sure he might be in it just for the fight and not care about the win but then you can just keep on scoring.

Also I wouldnt want to foul back as I wouldnt want to get the refs attention of his players.

Tex
catmando

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

1st: Don't foul back, IGMEOY will kick in, have faith.

2nd: Try to avoid, if possible, excessive foulers. Before you accept a game or issue a challenge, check the opposing coaches home page and see how many fouls they average per match. This is a good indicator of their attitude towards fouling in general. My personal rule is 2 fouls or less per game for the opposing coach.

3rd: As has been pointed out, try to keep more valuable players protected if possible. Also, don't send any of your players into enemy territory without someone to watch their back.

4th: Refers back to the 3rd point. Decide which players are expendable, for example: protecting a blitzer while allowing an unskilled lineman to get fouled. Remember, linemen are cheaper to replace.

5th: This covers Leagues or Tourney's, expect to get fouled. This doesn't make these events less fun, they're just really competitive.

Hope this helps...

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I strongly disagree with catmando's 2nd point.

The rule of thumb is: look at winning record. If a coach fouls a lot but wins a lot, then he's a good coach who won't foul you "just cuz". Period.
If you see a high average of fouls per match COMBINED with a low winning percentage, then you're probably looking at a Zerkalo Clone and as such you might want to refuse the game.

Don't dodge people who win. Learn to fight them.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Remove the 2 halfling DP's from the field as soon as possible would have been the best move. Halflings have av 6 and +1 to injury shouldn't be that hard to do even without mb or dp hit them repeatedly foul them put them in the dead book., and move on. Stay away from the trees they can only move 2 and eventually will take root. Wasting blocks and fouls on them is silly when you dodge on a 2+ every block against a fling has a very good possibility of pitch removal I repeat LEAVE THE TREES ALONE. I would suggest getting a dp for key player removal every elf team should have one especially darkies.

Remember folks if you don't go out of your way to kill good players AGING IS YOUR FAULT!!
Gus

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

STAY
ON
YOUR
FEET!

Best anti foul strategy ever!
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the first thing you have to do is detach (this is in an open [R] environment) yourself from the feeling that anything other than victory matters. Should you come across a heavy fouler, as long as you place beating him above feeling pain for a few permanent injuries, you're halfway there.

The second half is positioning. Keep your good players safe, and consider how you would best gangfoul your own team. Keep some straight lines of twos and threes, with the end guy being a Side-stepper or a skilless Zombie, i.e. easy to move to a harder to gangfoul position, or worthless anyway. Keep the eye ON HIM. The beauty of LRB 4 fouling is the eye, it adds a delicious tactical element to fouling (/me engages LRB 5 loses this strategy rant button, then remembers it doesn't matter here). If he wants to foul you, make him think 'Hmm, there is a 50/50 shot I'm going to get sent off here. Do I really want to leave less defence / attack on the ball, just to foul this guy and lose a player myself?' Make him think, get that brain ticking over. Remeber, if you've not fed him your best players by leaving them sticking out, he can't hurt them!

Finally, two things. 1. Practice. You'll never learn how to beat a heavy fouler if you never try. 2. Occasionally, whatever you do, dice will conspire to whoop you. Whether this is via Khemri bashing you off of the pitch, or Woodies dancing away from you, or 6+ Dodges followed by -2DB POW/POW, or whatever the mechanism, <i>sometimes</i> it's out of your hands, however well you play. The trick is not to immediately run out and press the 'fouling is broken and lame' button after one heavy fouler got lucky and killed everything with no send-offs, and recognise it just wasn't your day. I mean, you'd not avoid Elves forever after one long bomb, would you?

Best of luck! Wink

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %19, %2008 - %11:%May; edited 1 time in total
nonchalance

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep dodging away from the trees.
Don't leave anyone by themselves.
Make DPs blitz target #1.
Don't foul back, let IGMEOY do the work.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I mean, you'd not avoid Elves forever after one long bomb, would you?

Hell yeah! ...damn elves...

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
I mean, you'd not avoid Elves forever after one long bomb, would you?

Hell yeah! ...damn elves...

Hehe - shurrup you, I was trying to be constructive! Wink
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Gus wrote:
STAY
ON
YOUR
FEET!

Best anti foul strategy ever!

Dear Gus,

once again I`m struck by your wisdom as so many times, when I read your forum posts. Could you please help me on my path to enlightenment by providing a link to a match where you executed this brilliant tactic?

Best Regards
CL
koadah

Post   Posted: May 19, 2008 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I think the first thing you have to do is detach (this is in an open [R] environment) yourself from the feeling that anything other than victory matters. Should you come across a heavy fouler, as long as you place beating him above feeling pain for a few permanent injuries, you're halfway there.

But if it's in open [R] then winnng could be way down the list of priorities Wink

Jump to: