12 coaches online • Server time: 04:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
svvampy

Post 22 Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

My flings have just won their third game (of ten). I've had a look at some of the more long-lived fling teams and some seem a little picky about their opponents. Suffering seven casualties in my last match, I can understand why people wouldn't want to play tackly teams, but that's not really the route I want to travel.

Can anyone point me at some good replays or provide me with any further tidbits not contained in the strategy guide?

Thanks,
svvampy

p.s. anyone know what happened to Puggy Baconbreath? I seem to recall him playing for a mate's tabletop team.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 16:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Puggy isn't available as a star player in lrb 4. But should be coming to a blood bowl pitch near you soon Smile.

The non tackle teams is very good advice, tbh. Flings really do suffer against tackle teams, and without very good luck will lose, and lose players. Those 2 niggles probably need getting shot with. \

Diving tackle is a good skill, alongside side step is optimum choice. Look at getting one with surefeet and catch as well for ttm efforts.

Fling teams always need good management and monitoring. Always check oppos re rolls when buying extra ingredients.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

im not a great halfling player, but imo, maybe among other things, drop a reroll.... with chef and 1-2 ingredients a game, big guys blocking and the rest of the team having dodge u dont need much rerolls at low TR. the 4th reroll just inflates TR/TS.
momfreeek

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

puggy died. no surprise

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep buying ingredients for the games, 3 rerolls is probably enough...and oh yeah, kick everything that goes down.

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 17:25 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are after getting a positive winning record, cherrypick like there is no tomorrow....
if you are prepared to play against any race, expect some regular beatings

oh.. and ... if it is down, foul it.... then foul it again, just to be sure. That is the way of the halfling....

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
Optimus

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

fouling is not! the only way of the fling, take a look at my fling team and at the number of fouls i have made with them.. you can count them on one hand and still i stand with a 19/13/12 stat line.. aka i am winning more than i loose and having good fun.

but ofc, it all depends on what kind of player you are, some like to foul some do it when needed , some don`t like to do it, all a matter of taste.

I have found that having good trees will go a long way, be carefull with skill picking, do not use your apo on the little guys, SAVE HIM FOR THE TREES!!.

and get a few guys with sure feet, one or two with safe ands, and you should have your fling a fling game right on track.

but then again, i am not a great coach, this is just imo.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Flings on a quest shall not fear anything.
Well my teams suffered some pitch clearances, but they always stand up again.
My best advice is. Don't become discouraged when they are on a long losing streak. Endurance pays off in the long run.

Shinan

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I could offer some halfling advice but to be honest since I don't really play the fouling game I don't know how to play well with halflings. One of the key aspects is cherrypicking though. When playing against teams certain skills will be very dangerous (block and tackle), the less of these the opponent has the better for you. (that means playing a lot of unskilled chaos)

In my team I've always taken Side Step as a first skill over Diving Tackle. One of the thoughts behind it is that it is better if my halflings are dodged away from than blocked. And Diving Tackle doesn't exactly give any incentive to try to dodge away. When setting up my ballcarriers I tend to form the "open cage" with sidesteppers and tackle zones covering all entries to the ballcarrier. And since the games are nicely picked (the TR/TS difference helps), opposing teams should, if possible, always field less than 10 players on the starting line-up. That makes the outnumbering game, at least in the beginning, a bit simpler. (Of course by turn three it'll be 7 vs 10 players)

If opponents gang up on your trees you are in luck. It usually takes at least three or four people to gang up on a tree. If the tree has another tree nearby and both have guard it can be even trickier. But still opponents often waste a whole lot of effort on those trees. While they do this you can easily do those sniper blitzes against the rest of the opposing team and move your ball upfield. Always make sure that at least one opponent is in your tree's tackle zone.

Man all of this is probably obvious. I wish I had any kind of good tactical halfling advice but to be honest I don't. Just the whole ingredients+picking = game.

(And Ogres are so easy it's almost ridiculous. If played right they'll get one blitz against your flings each turn and without block or tackle they are likely to fail. Not to mention all that bonehead. One or two of your players will inevitably die against ogres, but they are easy wins at least 8^)

The best advice is that old thing I read somewhere: Halflings are expected to lose. Which means that if they do, no big deal. But if they win, the humiliation is completely your opponent's.

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a good summary...

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=111704#111704

pac wrote:
Ah, this thread still seems to be kicking ...

On Dread's 'flings:

It's not just about DP - although obviously they're a key element. Most Halflings dodge a lot: these do it as rarely as possible, and maximise their blocks instead. Shortage of Block skill is a problem, but compensated for by loads of re-rolls.

Halfling re-roll theft is critical as well. Reviewing the Cookies record, most of their matches have been against teams which - at low TS - don't have much Block skill. Without much Block, re-rolls are essential to avoid turnovers - but the 'flings have taken them.

A lot of teams (elves) need occasionally to dodge away from the Halflings. This is where Diving Tackle (a skill a lot of coaches don't notice until it's too late) comes in. More broadly, many coaches who should know better, and could cope with the 'flings if they took them seriously, don't give them due respect until it's too late.

Don't take this as doubting Dreadclaw's own skills. This isn't a formula you could just copy! He's a very very good coach and, contrary to popular belief, doesn't (generally) foul for the sake of fouling alone, but rather to win.

A well-coached Norse team might be the best choice (out of the teams they'd actually agree to play) against the Cookie Crumblers: but you should still expect to take some damage in the process.
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 04, 2008 - 22:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that's an old post. Smile

/me applauds Plorg's filing system/memory.
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2008 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Also added a relevant dusty article to my blog...

This article was originally submitted to GLN circa March 2007.

RookSmack Hills

Like many coaches who have become established over a long time in any gaming community, I decided to go beyond the standard one-off game treadmill and set additional career goals for myself. Some coaches have lists of famous teams they intend to play (and defeat). Others strive to play an impressive number of games with a certain race or team. Another popular goal is to try to win at least one of every level of SMACK tournament.

Plorg's Goal:
Win a SMACK Tournament with Halflings.

Nobody had done this before and at the time of this writing nobody else has done it since***. This Rookie SMACK was won back in the days when fresh teams with zero games still had an effect on Coach Rating, which might have discouraged many coaches from throwing their Flings into the ring. The most surprising part of this story is that it only took two SMACK attempts to succeed. Now that this goal has been achieved, Plorg will impart his knowledge so that others may follow.

1) Treasury Treasury Treasury

The success of a Halfling team comes from its Treasury. Unless you lose a Treeman, each replacement costs only 30000. Do you have otherwise healthy players missing your next game? If you have the cash to spare, retire and replace them. A starting roster of 2 Treemen + 13 Halflings + 9 FF + Apothecary leaves you with 250000 to spend on the first three games. Note that this roster does not mention any team Rerolls. This brings us to the next point...

2) Chefs are better than Rerolls

Now to cover one of the finer points of the Halfling frontloading meta-game. The RookSmack Flings started with zero(0) team Rerolls. Why? At team creation, they could buy one Reroll for 60000 to use in each game thereafter. On the other hand, each click of the Wizard button will rent one single-game Chef for 20000 and they can rent as many Chefs per game as they can afford. Each Chef has a 5/6 chance per half to steal a Reroll from the other team and give it to the Halflings. The cost of each team Reroll is equal to the cost of one Chef for each of the next three(3) games. If a team is expected to play for only three games (such as a three-round SMACK Tournament), it is more cost effective to rent the other team's Rerolls instead of buying their own.

3) Deeproot Strongbranch

For 90000 any Halfling team can rent Deeproot for one game.

* ST 7 with Block and Mighty Blow is very effective against Rookie teams who do not have much Block themselves.

* Three Treemen on the Line of Scrimmage is an intimidating sight. This is especially true against bashy teams who expect to win by casualty attrition. Most of their prime bashing time comes from the three or four hits at the LoS right after the kickoff. When the Line of Scrimmage has three ST 6(7) AV 10 Thick Skull Stand Firm, the basher casualty game can be shut down entirely.

* Lastly, remember that Deeproot can use the team Rerolls that your Chefs have stolen. For important things like throwing the ball-carrier teammate for a TD, using Deeproot lets you reroll those fumbled passes.

4) Be Lucky

In the interest of full disclosure, it should be mentioned that RookSmack Hills 2nd Brigade would probably not have won their SMACK if their second and third round opponents had not been injured the game before. Beating a team of eleven Dwarves is a lot easier than beating a team of twelve Dwarves. The same goes for Elves. So not only do you have to be lucky enough to win your own games, you also have to be lucky enough to fight opponents who have already taken some player-removing damage.

That should cover the main strategic points. Hopefully more coaches out there will be inspired to Fling their way into SMACK Tournament wins!

edit:
*** - No longer true. Rijssiej has since won an Inaugural Exp SMACK with Halflings.

Last edited by Plorg on %b %09, %2008 - %00:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2008 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Avoiding picking with flings is great.... however it does make it alot harder to try and describe the correct tactics because they definately arent reliable and often need adapting.

Base you tactics around the on pitch tactics that cherrypickers use, mostly they are your best bet to win.... the real difference will come in team development and coaching decisions. Sidestep is your skill of choice against bashers while diving tackle is superb against elves, hence "successful" fling players (aka pickers) will recommend DT over SS when actually you want a mix of both if you are playing a mix of opponents. Ball handling skills like catch also start to look slightly more profitable because having a semi-reliable running game could really tip the balance in your favour, similarly surefeet may be worth considering (though both skills should be taken only after serious consideration). Notice that you wont just be able to beat opponents into the turf.... alot of the coaches that pick arent actually so great at the whole skill aspect, they just kill their opposition. You should still be fouling alot but you need to be aware that your strategy should not rely on taking out a significant number of players but on scoring.

Edit: doubles choices should still probably be DP but I do wonder if other skills might actually be more useful for you, hail mary and kick etc... if you can place the ball inconveniantly then even an elf team might not have the RR to screen or relocate it effectively.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %05, %2008 - %00:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Plorg

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2008 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I like Side Step better than Diving Tackle (still).
 Jump to: