33 coaches online • Server time: 03:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Secret League Old Wo...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT: The tournament has now been played. Check page 3 to see how I went

I'm making an Orc team for a 1250k Non-Progression Tournament and want some advice.

There are some additional rules:

LRB 5.0 Rules
    Star Players are allowed
    Each team must have 11 players (including Star Players)
    One normal skill per player is allowed at a cost of 20k gold each (Star Players may not be given skills)
    Inducements may be purchased as per page 49 and 50 of the LRB 5.0 rulebook with an exception of 1 star player per team and no wizards.

So far the team I have come up with is:

1 x Linemen (with Block) 70k
    1 x Goblin 40k
    1 x Thrower (with Leader) 90k
    4 x Black Orc Blockers (each with Block) 400k
    4 x Blitzers (2 with Guard, 1 with Mighty Blow, 1 with Strip Ball) 400k
    1 x Troll (with Guard) 130k
    2 x Rerolls 120k

Grand Total - 1250k

Other options I am considering are:

Diving Tackle on the Goblin instead of Block on the Lineorc.

Taking a second Thrower instead of the Lineorc. I would also have to remove Block from one of the BOB's.

I am a little undecided about the skills for the Blitzers. I am considering taking 1 with Tackle and another with Frenzy but I'm not too sure. If I did I would probably go with 1 Guard, 1 Strip Ball, 1 Tackle, 1 Frenzy.

The Tackle helps take down any ball carrying Blodgers while Frenzy keeps the opposition from using the sidelines much.

A couple of questions I have:

In a non-progression resurrection tournament is it worth having more than 11 players on an Orc team?

Is it worth getting a Star Player? I was thinking Morg or Varag since that would then give me 6 players with ST4 or higher. They do cost a pretty penny though.

Are any inducements worth it?

Should I get an Apo or not?

Olaf the Stout

Last edited by Olaf_the_Stout on %b %14, %2008 - %00:%Oct; edited 2 times in total
gregory_n_white

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Oooh this is a toughy. I havent really had time to consider in real detail so just some initial thoughts:
I would not take MB on blitzer. 2 guard and 2 strip ball; or 3 guard and 1 strip ball. I wouldnt worry about tackle. If you have strip ball that does the trick even against ball carrying blodgers. You dont need to drop them, just get them to drop the ball and get enough guys around the ball to make it hard to pick up again.
Frenzy is not a bad idea on a blitzer - as you say it limits use of side lines. I dont think I would sacrifice a strip ball or guard for it though. Id be happy to just push the guy to the sideline and push him off next turn, or force him to focus on getting the guy away from the sideline. With frenzy i'd probably be too tempted to try surfing players and would end up making 1d blocks or getting surfed myself. Play it safe/boring and go for more reliable skills.
Take a line orc - he can sit in front of opposition big guys and just be a punching bag. Get him block if possible so that even 2 dice rolls become risky for big guys with no block.
Id skip an apo if its not easily affordable. Worst thing that happens is you lose 2 or 3 BOB's or blitzers eary in the game. What are the chances?
1 thrower is fine. 2 Would be good to have an extra "sure hands" floating around the pitch but not at the expense of a lineorc/punching bag; and not at the expense of a troll, blitzers or BOB (although caveat below re troll).
Id consider no troll. Benefits are big LOS guy with guard; and TTM one turn option with a gob. Alternative is a more reliable team (2 throwers; no gob/troll means more skills and/or apo or star).
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Where are your tacklers?

If the team as you have made it now has to play zons or elves they will lose pretty badly.

I would not take strip ball on the team, since orcs don't benefit from strips as much as more agile races. So while most of you choices seem pretty sound to me I would go for 1 guard, 1 tackle and 2 MB on the blitzers. With the full ST contingent included in the team I don't think you need 2 guarding blitzerrs, except against strip balling wardancers perhaps.

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

you have the troll guard and 1 blitzer should do, tackle is important so do 2 blitzers with tackle 1 guard 1 frenzy
wizard is nice 2+ lightning bolt anywhere on the field, starplayers wont help ya, apo and orc is not a must have but nice for "accidents" and imo lino no block and gobo catch or DT sounds good.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

tragedy4you wrote:
you have the troll guard and 1 blitzer should do, tackle is important so do 2 blitzers with tackle 1 guard 1 frenzy
wizard is nice 2+ lightning bolt anywhere on the field, starplayers wont help ya, apo and orc is not a must have but nice for "accidents" and imo lino no block and gobo catch or DT sounds good.

then you could change one BO from block to guard as well.....
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 09:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
Where are your tacklers?

If the team as you have made it now has to play zons or elves they will lose pretty badly.

I would not take strip ball on the team, since orcs don't benefit from strips as much as more agile races. So while most of you choices seem pretty sound to me I would go for 1 guard, 1 tackle and 2 MB on the blitzers. With the full ST contingent included in the team I don't think you need 2 guarding blitzerrs, except against strip balling wardancers perhaps.

Against Elves or Zons the plan would be to get them off the pitch. Having 5 players with ST4+ (and 4 of them with Block) means that I should be able to get a lot of 2d Blocks. I aim to win the games via a numbers advantage.

No tackle against Zons will be a challenge, especially if the keep making their 3+ Dodges. However, if I can only take 1 skill on a BOB I think Block is the better option. Apart from Dwarves, not many teams are going to have much Tackle to deal with Zons though. Getting their players off the pitch is the best way of dealing with them I think.

I planned to take Strip Ball on the team since few teams will have players with Sure Hands. Even if I can pick the ball up, if I can a couple of players around the ball it will be difficult for my opponent to.

By having 1 Tackler I can still take down a Dodger/Blodger if I really need to. Sometimes Strip Ball may be just as good or even better than knocking the player over though.

Olaf the Stout
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 09:49 Reply with quote Back to top

tragedy4you wrote:

Unfortunately Wizards are not allowed.

Olaf the Stout
Dragons

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

take the team you have and take 2 tackle 1 guard one MB or Frenzy on blitzer.
runreallyfast

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think I would want a troll in a non-progression tournament, myself...
Khudzlin

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do you count rerolls at 120k? At team creation, they cost only 60k, don't they?
Apostasy

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Khudzlin wrote:
Why do you count rerolls at 120k? At team creation, they cost only 60k, don't they?

That's 120K for the 2...
Kri

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I would´t keep the troll. He just isn´t worth 130k. Use it on more rerolls. I don´t think you need twelve players unless you want two gobbos.
Dragons

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2008 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

TTM is good so save him.
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2008 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I have the Troll there for extra ST as well as giving me the TTM option if I really need it. With that in mind, should I take 2 Gobbos instead of 1?

Olaf the Stout
XtremeXwing

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2008 - 01:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Step 1. Pick your team
Step 2. Place orcs on the table
Step 3. Get a hammer and destroy all your orcs
Step 4. Dont play orcs again
 Jump to: