58 coaches online • Server time: 20:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tappajasorsa

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2008 - 07:27 Reply with quote Back to top

The problem with the troll is not him falling flat on his face on a bad 2d block. That you can control easily enough. The problem is that he cant do anything(!) without getting 1/6 chance to lose his tacklezone&assit.
Troll is not the strongpoint in your cage, he's the weak point!

Even so, he's a good player. Just not worth that much money.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2008 - 08:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree on the TRoll.

He's worth taking for TTM attemps alone, the odds aren't great. But if it works once and gives you a draw or win then i think it's worth it.

Not sure if i'd spend 20K on giving him guard unless you have nothing else to spend the 20K on, him losing his TZ's on realyy stupid makes it less useful than on a blitzer or BO

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2008 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose that's the choice here.
Do you want a boring, reliable team that makes few mistakes or a flashy, but less reliable team.

Troll&goblin-combo is certainly fun.

Also, without the troll you will have so much money left you will spend on linemen with dp and foul a lot Smile
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2008 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Tappajasorsa wrote:
I suppose that's the choice here.
Do you want a boring, reliable team that makes few mistakes or a flashy, but less reliable team.

Troll&goblin-combo is certainly fun.

Also, without the troll you will have so much money left you will spend on linemen with dp and foul a lot Smile

I think I prefer a line-up with a Troll in the team. I'm willing to take the 1-in-6 do nothing chance, especially when it gives me a chance to get a 1-turn TD if I need to try for one.

Olaf the Stout
Zuul

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2008 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

1 Troll - 100k
4 Blitzers (2 w/ Guard, 1 w/ Strip Ball) - 400k
4 BOBs (w/ Guard) - 400k
1 Thrower - 70k
2 Lineorc (1 w/ DP) - 120k
3 RRs - 180k
Total - 1250k

Right, this is what I would take for several reasons.
1. I feel the Leader skill is a waste and if you lose him off the pitch either KO or worse, you lose the RR. Not a happy state of affairs. The thrower is always the weak spot of an Orc team with only AV8.
2. LineOrcs are only good as utility players as you can fill up easily on positionals such as the thrower, BOBs and Blitzers. If you don't want to go the fouling route, take Kick instead. Still as good in LRB5 as LRB4. Can help win matches.
3. If you are taking tackle as a skill which will help free the ball from the grasp of annoying elves with blodge or anything like that, better to just take Strip Ball. This means you will free the ball on 4/6 possible die rolls as opposed to only 2/6. Also, Strip Ball is effective against non-blodge players too whereas tackle will be completely worthless vs another bashy team. Only thing you have to watch out for with it is Sure Hands.
4. Guard on the BOBs in a short tournament is more important than Block. They will stop elves from being able to get reasonable 2db and mean that you can stand toe to toe with other tough teams.
5. No skills on the troll. Waste of time and 20k when that skill can be given elsewhere. He is already scary enough to opponents at ST5, no need to do anything more.
6. No goblin. Not worth it. If you can't win without him, then you are going to be getting so thrashed anyway, he won't be making much of a difference.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2008 - 03:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Buying Nobbla is probably much more profitable than getting a Dp lineorc... star chainsaws are mostly there to foul.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
loot_puppy

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 10:01 Reply with quote Back to top

*takes notes*
Spieroz

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

sneaky sneaky
Rick287

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

One thing to consider here is Wrestle. If every coach gets to add a skill to every player (funds permitting) then the vast majority of players are going to have Block, making it nearly useless on Offence. Instead, I'd have a wrestler or two to get your opponent on the floor anyway (and a dirty player for afters?)

Quote:
Against Elves or Zons the plan would be to get them off the pitch. Having 5 players with ST4+ (and 4 of them with Block) means that I should be able to get a lot of 2d Blocks. I aim to win the games via a numbers advantage.

But surely that's what tackle is for? I would squeeze one in somewhere.

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd take one tackle on a blitzer, and then probably two MB and a guard or a frenzy. Then two BoBs with Guard, maybe block on the other two, but I'd consider taking MB on them anyway. Keep the troll and give him guard imo, he doesn't need to roll RS every turn if he's just going to stand there Wink

Keep the thrower with Leader, take two lineorcs and a goblin that you only need field if you need the OTS.

So:
4x BoB (2 guard, 2 MB) - 400
4x Blitzers (1 tackle, 2 MB, 1 guard) - 400
1x Thrower (leader) - 90
1x Troll (Guard) - 130
1x Lineorc - 50
1x Goblin - 40
2x Rerolls - 120

Leaves you 20K to spend on another skill for either lineorc or goblin, just personal preference, but I'd probably go for block on the lineorc.

As you can see, I don't really rate block too highly, I'd rather get MB on as many things as possible and smash all the other teams off the pitch. It can turn out badly with only 3 rerolls, but you have sure hands for picking up the ball, and shouldn't need to make any other agility rolls, so have 3 rerolls per half solely for blocks which should all be at least 2d blocks anyway.
Sarganius

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Buying Nobbla is probably much more profitable than getting a Dp lineorc... star chainsaws are mostly there to foul.

Nobbla can't be bought for Orc teams in LRB5...

Only Ogres, Goblins and Chaos Dwarves.
kwèk

Post   Posted: Sep 07, 2008 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

4x BOB
4x Blitzer
1x Troll
1x Gobo
1x Thrower
1x Lineman

3x Reroll

(this is my original set up for a 110 TR tourney, I have 10 k for FF)

This results in 160 k for additional skills, 8 skills Very Happy

4x Guard on a BOB
1x Block on the Thrower
1x Frenzy on a Blitzer
2x MB on a Blitzer

Idea: Thrower is the ball carier.
Gobo is in there for the TTM option
4 st4 guarders can be a pain in the ass, unless you face dwarves, but hey, they are dwarves.
MB blitzers will kill AV7 teams quick (if used properly) also: ALWAYS blitz with these guys if you are able to do so.
Frenzy Blitzer gives you a tacticle advantage, easier to chainpush players out of harms way, easier to crowd push, makes the playing field a little bit smaller for the opponent, forcing him to come in trough the middle. The middle should be the place where bashing teams are at there best.

Yeah yeah, you have to take tackle, bla bla bla
Tackle only works to counter dodge, this means that you'll be facing teams in wich tackle will do absolutely nothing.
So I don't take tackle, and hope that MB will kill off some of the elves / amazons
And Frenzy can be just as good as tackle, if used properly, to get blodgers down.

I don't beleve in DP without any pain dealers (like khemri) in LRB 5.0. With a non progression tournament, the worst you'll be facing is a dancer with strip ball... Getting him off the field will be bliss, but it will probably cost you a lino. In normal LRB4.0 play this would be no problem, but with only 12 players (including a gobo) and the small chance of actually injuring him (no longer +2 on armour/inj) I would not recomend it.

Everyone talking abouth chainsaws, should also look at the orc with the chainsaw. He's not that expensive, and has av9 to back him up.
On the other hand, "secret weapon" will also make you loose him pretty quick.

The only good skill for the gobo in my opinion is: Catch or maybe Sure feet/sprint. The only reason why you want to use him is making that extra TD by throwing him. Else your block/sure hand thrower is the ball carier.

Good luck

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2008 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I wrote a relatively detailed write-up on TBB, but I just thought I would let everyone know my final line-up and results:

4 x Blitzers (2 x Stand Firm, 1 x Tackle, 1 x Frenzy) - 400k
4 x Black Orc Blockers (2 x Block, 2 x Guard) - 400k
1 x Thrower with Leader - 90k
1 x Goblin with Diving Tackle - 60k
1 x Lineorc (no skills) - 50k
1 x Troll with Guard - 130k

2 x Rerolls - 120k

Total - 1250k

I went 4-2-0 in the tournament and won the final 1-0!

I played the following teams:

Game 1: Skaven 2-0 Win (4-0 Cas)
Game 2: Amazon 2-0 Win (4-1 Cas - from my Goblin who failed his first dodge of the game and SI'd himself!)
Game 3: Norse 2-1 Win (2-1 Cas? - not 100% sure)
Game 4: Human 1-1 Draw (3-1 Cas - including Helmut Wulf who took himself out with a Chainsaw kickback on T1! )
Game 5: Dark Elf 0-0 Draw (1-0 Cas - I think, could have been 0-0 Cas)
Final: Human (same team from Game 4) 1-0 Win (2-0 Cas - Not 100% sure as I was too busy worrying about the players on the pitch!)

There were 3 other Orc teams in the 22 man tournament. None of the others took a Troll. I don't know what their final placings were but none of the other Orcs were in the top 6.

Olaf the Stout
gregory_n_white

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2008 - 05:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work Olaf - looks like a good solid lineup. Did you get any TTM TD's?
Olaf_the_Stout

Post   Posted: Oct 13, 2008 - 07:29 Reply with quote Back to top

No, there were no attempts made to throw the Goblin during any of the games. Out of the 8 TD's I scored, 7 of them were in the last turn of a half as I grinded my way down the pitch.

The 2 drawn games had situations where I could have possibly thrown the Goblin. In the 1-1 draw with the Humans my Goblin was in the CAS box already. He was SI'd on the previous drive, in which the Humans levelled the scores.

In the 0-0 draw with the Dark Elves I could have possibly tried a TTM then. However I think in T7, the Goblin was either prone or in a position where he needed to make multiple dodges to get to the Troll to try a T8 TTM TD.

I had a chance to score in T8 of that game anyway. I needed to make a 3+ hand-off, 3+ dodge and 2+ GFI to score with a re-roll in hand. Unfortunately I rolled a 1 and then a 2 for my hand-off roll.

Prior to the tournament I had thought about using the Troll to throw the Goblin into the opposition backfield when I was defending. However none of the teams I played against sat in the backfield with a sole Thrower that I could pin down. The ball was pretty much brought up and into protection straight away.

Olaf the Stout
 Jump to: