37 coaches online • Server time: 18:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
avien

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2008 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I will be playing my first live game on the upcoming friday and would like some opinions on my setup. I bought a skaven team and a Skullsplitter (Rat Ogre) from GW in England and is spending my holiday week to paint them (never done that before either, taking ages, but anyways =) ).

Tournament rules:
The tournament is a cup with group stages, semi-finals and finals. The rules are LRB4, with some exceptions: No starplayers, After normal 1M setup, each team gets 500K, either for players or starplayerpoints (10.000 = 1 SPP, no doubles). Note that it is a progression tournament (afaik, checking to be sure). You get money after each game, you can buy players and players injure and age as normal.

So I have 6 linemen, 3 runners, 2 vermins, a Rat Ogre and a thrower. I am allowed to use positionals as something else, when I buy them, for instance I might choose to buy my thrower as a lineman. I have decided to leave out the Rat Ogre now, converting in a lineman and a gutter runner.

My current starting setup (1M) is:

6 Linemen (300K)
4 Gutter Runners (320K)
Thrower (70K)
Apo (50K)
8 FF (80K
3 RR (180K)

Tweaking (500K):

2 Storm Vermin (180K)
Kick, Lineman (60K)
Dirty Player, Lineman (60K)
Tackle, Storm Vermin (60K)
Guard, Storm Vermin (60K)
Sidestep, Gutter Runner

Quote:
Total (1.5M):

1. Thrower
2. Gutter Runner (sidestep)
3. Gutter Runner
4. Gutter Runner
5. Gutter Runner
6. Lineman (kick)
7. Lineman (dirty player)
8. Lineman
9. Lineman
10. Storm Vermin (guard)
11. Storm Vermin (tackle)
12. Lineman
13. Lineman

3 RR
8 FF
Apo

What is your opinion of my setup?

Last edited by avien on %b %27, %2008 - %00:%Jun; edited 15 times in total
kn00b

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2008 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Go with tackle on a stormvermin and dirty player on a linerat, get a rat ogre, start with at least 13 and an apo. I'd also think about four gutters. Kick would be nice too.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2008 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

get rid of the thrower and buy another gutter runner
imo opinion also get rid of the rat ogre

and buy another linerat

that leaves you (+70k + 130k + 60k - 80k - 50k ) 130k

give guard to your second stormvermin 60k
give sure feet to a 2nd gutter runner (or block) 60k
change block on the linerat to dirty player

save 10k or buy FF +1

this is all imo
but you will not need the thrower for sure (skaven throwers are bad if they dont get a +stat or a double)

peronally i think a rat ogre is only good for skaven team on high TR. its expensive.... with av 8 and a smart opponent will lave the rat ogre alone for the wild animal rolls and bash your skaven back to the gutters.... however you already got the miniature Smile

btw to get more answers post this in tactics/strategy forum
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2008 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

And there was me wondering what Bloodbowl Tourney was giving out a prize of £1.5 m

Sad
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2008 - 12:51 Reply with quote Back to top

As this is LRB5, I`m not convinced about FF5.
You might want to think about RR4.

Kick is a must have for skaven.
For the ratogre, juggernaught is an option, if you want to use him actively as it works like block on blitzes or the 2nd frenzy block.
Block for a line rat - not a good idea. You might want to think about sprint on one gutter for that desperate OTS. With sprint you don`t need pushes, but 1 POW is sufficient given the right setup.
I`m actually in favor of a thrower. Accurate makes them fairly reliable on the short distances and sure hands is always nice. Though if you go for a 4RR setup you don`t really need his reroll-skills.
Reisender

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2008 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

oh LRB 5... forget what i said... dont know it that well....
avien

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2008 - 18:52 Reply with quote Back to top

It is LRB4, was a typo on my part, sorry. Thanks for the help so far, I won't post it in tactics/strategy, since that is meant for fumbbl only, correct me if I'm wrong.
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2008 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

what I would take with rats:
2 SV (18) mandatory
7 lino (35) nice and cheap
4 GR (32) you really need 4 GR as they might be taken out en GR are the way to score, they are better at a throwers job so you don't need those.
4 RR (24) 4 RR is the way to go
apo (5) nice
6 ff (6) oh well whatever is left
tackle on SV (6) 1 tackle is minimum
guard on SV (6) guard is a very usefull skill
kick on lino (6) yay
DP on lino (6) just to kick their positionals
SS on GR (6) I think SS will be better than block in a tourney like this although SH is tempting too
avien

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2008 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej, that looks like a good setup, but there will be only 4ff, as 20k is wasted of the 500k, no matter how you buy the team. However I think sidestep sounds fun, bought it. Thanks for spending time on this Smile
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2008 - 01:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting tournament setup, how many games will there be in the group stages? That will affect how much you want to reserve for FF.

The first thing I noticed is that buying skills for players is very expensive relative to the players themselves. LRB5 suggests that actually a skill is closer to 20k in worth than the 60k that you have to pay for one here (two skills on one player is unthinkable). That means that you are likely to get more value for money by buying more players and team resources... however the designers have cleverly given you enough money that actually you run out of useful things to buy... making the skills suddenly a much more attractive option. When you design the team I think you ought to look at what you want in it first and then add the skills second. I think that as bad as it is you can also afford the rat ogre, its far from useless and is a justified investment when skills are much more costly than players (plus its cool). I also think you can afford plenty of RR, often greater RR can make up for fewer skills. With the extra RR I think the gutter runners will be better throwers than the skaven throwers too.

For your basic team I'd suggest..
4 gutter runners - 320k
2 storm vermin - 180k
Rat ogre -130k
7 linerats - 350k
4 RR - 240k
FF 9 (I asssumed that you will play enouh games in the group stages to justify this)

I think that 14 players is a must because skaven do die and get knocked out... more than 14 is probably OTT since you've probably won or lost the game by the time you use player 15 and having a better quality first 14 will have helped decide that.

The remaining cash after that lineup... 190k, which is enough for 3 skills. I'd recomend taking these skills on key players but key players who are unlikely to skill up quickly. Personally I'd go for guard on the two storm vermin and either another RR, guard on the RO, or a DP lineman. You can then focus on scoring with the gutter runners to skill them up... that way they might even get stat increases. It might be worth dropping a RR or replacing the RO with a lineman to get that extrra skill or two in.

You might change your approach slightl depending on some of the other rules, having a strategy to hire a wizard each game and more freebooters towards the end of the competition might be a good approach.

Are wizards allowed?
Are freebooters allowed?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
avien

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2008 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Wizards and freebooters are allowed. I liked your setup so much sillysod, I will prolly go for it, thanks a lot! Since I have not undertaken the trials of master fouling yet, I will go for guard on the Rat Ogre, tackle and guard on the SVs. However the Rat Ogre isn't painted, so I might or might not be allowed to use it.

Oh, and there will be 4 games in the group stages, 3 best count I belive.

Leaving for the first day of the tournament now, wish me luck Smile
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2008 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

GL!

Tell us how you did Smile
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2008 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Argghh, quick note to say that I missed out an apothecary Confused

I'm not sure where you'd slot one in, probably if you cant use the rat ogre you could find the cash there.

Edit: few days too late Sad How did you do anyway? Smile

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
avien

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2008 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, only four coaches turned up, which was a bit of a letdown. I made it trough to the finals, but lost due to some hideous wood elf tactic that I have never encountered before. I was sitting all game waiting for a quick snap, but in the end, he got me 4-3. I never figured out how to attack and time after time he managed to make the life of my thrower very hard with his catchers. It was fun playing live for the first time.

SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2008 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Avien, a better way of displaying setups is to use BBcode (code)(/code) function (replace "(" with "[" ).

It changes the font or something so all letters are evenly spaced...

Code:
... like this

and grats, although 4 people is a let down Sad

Jump to: