42 coaches online • Server time: 15:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, all! i'm actually going to be starting to play 40k. I'm wondering if anybody out in Fumbbl-land might have soem old models they don't want, and would be willing to part with for less than the store would charge for them. Let me know in this thread, or PM (between my little group, there are options for many different armies so....)

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

hey, i've got a 10.000 points Chaos 40k Army and a 3000 points Eldar Army.
Don't ask for the whole money investeted in it....
mightyblow

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

pfft. after 2nd ed the whole game just started to suck. play fantasy instead. or find the "battle bible" on the net and play old school.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Williamfoster, are you offering to sell some Eldar, or just bragging?

MightyBlow, New edition out, I like it. Plus, I'm Macavity, I make things cool.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Edition 5 looks good!

And tyranids all the way. (not for sale mac) 5000 pts of close combat killing nasties for me!

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

i might be able to help you there im concidering sellin my necrons only around 1500-2000 points last time i checked

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Hey, all! i'm actually going to be starting to play 40k. I'm wondering if anybody out in Fumbbl-land might have soem old models they don't want, and would be willing to part with for less than the store would charge for them. Let me know in this thread, or PM (between my little group, there are options for many different armies so....)

Best place to look is places like eBay, but tbh I recommend buying them new in box. There is simply nothing that beats that feeling of opening and assembling a new bunch of minis Smile

Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 20:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I'll be doing some of that, don't worry! But Canadian prices have not adjusted to the relative value of our dollar, yet ($20 US product is $35 Canadian), So I'm checking out possibilities

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

pt0510, Details, please! Pricing, units?

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

agh sorry mate local friend got here first seems like a good offer if anything changes ill let you know

if i can sell to you its :
2 necron lords (1 converted destroyer lord 1 regular)
around 35-40 warriors (been a whil scince i dug them out)
5 destroyers
1 monolith

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

sell kidney, get a 12000 pts army

easiest way
SillySod

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 21:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I have three 1500 point armies, thats Eldar, Thousand Sons, and Tyranids (and plenty of miscelaneous other stuff from other armies inc other chaos). I'm least interested in keeping the nids because they interest me the least as an army. If you are interested or curious what other bits and pieces I have then I can make a list. Most of the models are reasonably well built or well converted but there are certainly a few that arent, painting varies from shite to none (which is better than shite) to reasonably good, again I can make a list of what shape stuff is in.

Sale of my wonderful merchandise over.... why on earth do you want to play 40k? It can be good fun with a few mates but if you want a game that is competitive (or want to play against people who think it is) then dont go near it even with the mandatory barge pole. I've played it for a long time and knew it inside out (up until the new edition) and it really isnt a system where tactics are terribly important, the key to winning is invariably good army writing skills. the problem is that maximising on two or three weapons and troop types is too effective, a mixed force of "this would be cool" will rarely stand a chance against a proper tournament list. Throw in all of the rules glitches and arguments and its a game that just collapses under "legal" rules abuses.

As for the new edition.... I said I knew the game inside out up until 5th ed, thats because I refuse to buy the new rulebook (although I've read it in the store and know roughly what its about). What bugs me about it is:
- its unneccesary, 4th edition ran smoothly, in fact in several respects its actually a rules downgrade (for example the new LOS rules will create so many arguments).
- nearly all of the changes are just messing around with what already happens, changing the way you inflic wounds dosent improve the game, certainly it dosent add any extra tactical depth (the addition of ramming is an exception, I like it alot).
- the best argument in favour of the new edition that I've heard is that it rebalances the game in favour of close combat races which were really struggling to compete before. This is sensible but it just highlights the insufficient playtesting that went into the army books.
- the whole thing is dressed up to be bigger than it really is, the new missions are sweet (apparently) but they must have taken what, 10 minutes to write? 4th ed standard missions are dull but it was never a problem because there were non-standard missions which were plenty good enough.
- GW and its employees are telling me to be thankfull for this wonderful gift they've granted me

For all those reasons I believe that GW has brought it out with the sole intention of generating more cash (rather than improving their game). That pisses me off alot.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Pirrekurr

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
...I believe that GW has brought it out with the sole intention of generating more cash (rather than improving their game). That pisses me off alot.

As GW, and other companies always have done. After reading some of the new rules I must say that I think they are nice. They are a step back yes, but where for instance Rackham changed the rules for Confrontation and oversimplified the game with prepainted minis and unbalanced armies, GW have chosen instead to give 40k a little more complexity again. The new LOS rules aside I like most of the new rules, and the idea about true LOS is bogus. They still have some kinds of terrain that are needed to be defined before games.

And since this thread have been changed to telling people what armies they play instead of getting cheaper minis to Winnipeg I feel I have to say that I have a large Imperial Guard Tallarn army (don't know how many points but I have at least one of each choice in the codex), about 1700 pts Grey Knights, maybe 4000 pts World Eaters and 1700 pts Chaos Daemons. I am thinking about starting to play Space Marines too, maybe Imperial Fists or a brand new own chapter named after my son. But first I need to finnish painting my Dark Elves.

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:

- its unneccesary, 4th edition ran smoothly, in fact in several respects its actually a rules downgrade (for example the new LOS rules will create so many arguments).
- nearly all of the changes are just messing around with what already happens, changing the way you inflic wounds dosent improve the game, certainly it dosent add any extra tactical depth (the addition of ramming is an exception, I like it alot).
- the best argument in favour of the new edition that I've heard is that it rebalances the game in favour of close combat races which were really struggling to compete before. This is sensible but it just highlights the insufficient playtesting that went into the army books.
- the whole thing is dressed up to be bigger than it really is, the new missions are sweet (apparently) but they must have taken what, 10 minutes to write? 4th ed standard missions are dull but it was never a problem because there were non-standard missions which were plenty good enough.

All of the above points are infact wrong. Play the new edition Silleh. It is way better then 4th and 3rd but not quite as good as 2nd. All in all a hell of an improvement I would say...

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2008 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
As GW, and other companies always have done.

Not to the same extent. Games companies might release new versions to make money but when the new versions stop improving the game then I will stop buying them because they're taking the piss. I didnt get the current LOTR rulebook for the same reason.... it was the 4th (expensive) rulebook within 5 years all for the same game system (with no proper changes after the 2nd either).

Quote:
All in all a hell of an improvement I would say...

I'll still play mates for fun and might even buy the book (after a long time), I'll only do that if I have to to keep up with others though (something GW rely on). It might feel different for now while its fresh but it still lacks any true tactical depth, which was my original point.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: