18 coaches online • Server time: 06:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2004 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I love the skinks smashing up the Khemri. Hmm I think my next time I find a tournament to engage in, I'll go with lizards, I really like there combination of speed and power. I've won a league with a L-team too. I found the miniatures really ugly though so I went with a "chaos goblin" team featuring really fast goblins and chaos warriors + a pink troll with a big tail. Wink

I can't believe someone is suggesting passing with lizards. It really isn't necceseary. You can transport the ball 20 squares without passing so why bother? My advice to keep the skinks out of harms way is to tie up three of your opponents players with 2 sauri in as many placed as possible. This usually gives your skinks a numeric advantage over the opponents ball chasers.

Post 18 Posted: May 18, 2004 - 08:24 Reply with quote Back to top

A tale of woe, a tale of team rating inflating skinks and saurus who can't block or even get SPPs at any decent rate:

Iaxualotl - Useless TR150+ Lizard Team
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=38883

This team was great until about TR 160 when the Saurus don't have block, the skinks are getting tackled and it all goes pear-shaped.
Lack of Break Tackle means they pin the Saurus and blitz the skinks freely.
Blodgers hammer non-Block non-Tackle Saurus into the ground.
Hail Mary rocks the casbah but it gets dull to play.

So...the solution I've come up with is:

1. Saurus only ever get Block for the first skill, even on a double - My Frenzy and Guard Sauri developed so much slower than a Blocker that it is well worth wasting a double. Maybe I'm unlucky or aren't aggressive enough to get them the SPPs but this seems to be the only way to ensure they'll have a second skill soon from my limited experience.

2. Have the minimum number of players so skinks don't soak the MVPs from the Sauruses. Attributable to luck but I have two Block Sauruses and two SPP 5 Suaruses after my third game - And that means they'll be getting casualties so they won't be dependant on MVPs for skilling up once I've bought more skinks.

3. Get your high SPP skinks with no doubles killed. Once you have 3-4 rerolls you really only need Catch on most skinks and two Sure Hands. If you can get Hail Mary Pass then Diving Catch is a great thing to do with Agility skills you don't know what to do with. There really don't seem to be many good Agility skills. Sidestep with Blodge, for sure, but once three doubles have been used for two SH and HMP the chances of getting a blodger are small. You can manufacture a catching skink with two low-risk touchdowns.

These tactics are currently being implemented on this team with great success (mostly due to luck) so far:

No Skillz 2 Pay da Billz - Hopefully an uber-Saurus-death-sqaud-to-be
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=80456

I know I'm losing games owing to a lack of skinks (generally working with three) but hopefully the development of these guys will make them formidable by the time they reach TR 160 and the skills will be where they count - Anywhere but on skinks.

Any advice on this experiment?

The Block first even on a double is a painful choice to make but I'm going to stick with it then wait and see how it effects their development - Breakdowns I've seen show Block to be much more effective in knocking opponents down than Pro, Frenzy, etc. and this is what is needed to skill up from casualties.

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 09:13 Reply with quote Back to top

You might consider taking mighty blow for the first skill on your saurus, haven't done it myself but i've heard it works pretty well. MB is definatley a great second skill if you ever want them to see the third skill they will need it.

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go the block simply because it doubles your chances of getting the opportunity to inflict an injury in the first place (providing blockee has no block). Wondering if as more dodgers appear at higher team ratings will Tackle surpass Mighty Blow in effectiveness for the same reasons? One more face on the dice that means dinner time.

Definitely worth it on the second skill although guard, tackle and break tackle are tempting.

The goal for my Sauruses is:

2 X Block, Tackle, Break Tackle, Mighty Blow - Dodge on a double

2 X Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, Tackle - Frenzy on a double

2 X Block and whichever of the above work well

Looks good on paper...

Post   Posted: May 18, 2004 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Wombats wrote:
Wondering if as more dodgers appear at higher team ratings will Tackle surpass Mighty Blow in effectiveness for the same reasons? One more face on the dice that means dinner time.

If you think you will be running into a lot of blodgers at high tr with lizzies your in for a shock. Pretty much all you will get to play you at high tr are dwarves and orks so don't worry about tackle to much, 1-2 will be plenty preferably on a break tackle saurus. You want a lot of mighty blow and guard, block is of course essential as well. I know it's easier said than done since it's so hard to get skills on saurus.
Wombats

Post   Posted: May 19, 2004 - 03:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm...have to get tackle on the break tackle dudes for anti-runners but yeah, guard will be very necessary to maintain the strength advantage. For the two interceptors I'm thinking Break Tackle before tackle now as it's so easy to pin Sauruses down.

Think my blodger hatred comes from playing Amazons too much...really tough call with undeveloped Sauruses.

This minimal skink thing is working a treat - Got Block on three Sauruses after my fourth game and they're likely to earn a casualty per game each now - Lovely. Not scoring easily, though but as the punchiness increases this should become less of a problem.

Post   Posted: May 22, 2004 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Dromeo got Block as his third skill. He didn't really have any problems developing.

Actually I am a firm believer in developing your Sauri different. 4 of them with block or guard as thier first skill and two of them with break tackle as thier first skill, so that you have someone that can break away.

Another thing that you could try is retiring healthy skinks. If your TR starts getting higher then your Sauruses can handle just drop a few skinks and that should bring you back down to a playable level.

Asperon Thorn
Wombats

Post   Posted: May 29, 2004 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Current choice is Block then Break Tackle or Guard in that order with Frenzy on a double.

Watching their rate of SPP gain skyrocket with Block is hard not to like - But, then they will have more chances to get casualties with Break Tackle...

Just got my Kroxigor and all but one Saurus block while keeping all my skinks at one skill - Sure Hands or Catch. Joy!

I like the fact that my team called No Skillz 2 Pay da Bills has a skill on all but one member Smile

Dromeo may have gotten Block on his third skill but I'm working on the assumption I won't be getting +S on the first roll and a double on the second Smile

Jump to: