32 coaches online • Server time: 16:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IV
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Its finally back, the third vampire XFL has now started and boy is it exciting. The games are already underway (I've spectated three so far) and each of them has been just as skillful, bloody, and cruel as expected. To help get some extra hype going for the event I thought I'd start this discussion thread with some guesses as to whos going to be going to make the grade and who is going to splat at the first hurdle. Feel free to add whatever related heckling, cheers, and observations you fancy.

Now, I expect to get alot of this wrong because theres some very tough games to call and the great joy of this event is that basicly anything will happen. I'll do this in groups of eight....

First Eight - Die Meech, Die

A really nice mix of solid looking teams here and some excellent coaches, also my group. Die Meech, Die lacks any players that are truly special but it does have a solid mix of players and an absolute stack of cash to get it through any difficulties. The main competition is likely to be from the evil Clan Baali, I'm rather hoping that the Turbo Wacky Racers knock them out with some deft count hiring otherwise two St5 blodgers could spoil the party somewhat. In the other half of the pool Dhaktokh would be my pick as a formidable coach with a decent team, fortunately I think Die Meech, Die look stronger for game three. Naturally I've now jinxed myself and anything could happen Smile

Second Quarter - Bloodbloodblood

Probably the weakest quarter of the tournament although it does house some potential. Last years winners the Ministry of Lahmia are already out but not before crippling One Ah Ha Ha. Bloodbloodblood looks like it should coast through to the third game so I'd expect a timely count or wizard to see them through to the semifinal. They certainly wont be without opposition for that last game though - the other half of this quarter looks pretty interesting. While Gatts is an excellent coach he has a very small squad and looks like giving away a couple of handicaps, 5 vampires and 6 RR was never a good formula for a team with few thralls either. The Leechers look like a solid squad and while I quite like Von Carstein Special, I think the Leechers will be worthy contenders for Bloodbloodblood. Von Carstein Special is very interesting though and worth a look, they have all the power of the rest of the teams but a very very tight TR/TS which will give them alot of handicaps. 4RR might not be many but it will look like alot if an opponent suffers from Doom and Gloom Twisted Evil

Third Quarter - Nachtburg Ancients

Tough one to call, this group is host to the Nachburg Ancients who are easily the oldest vampire team ever to exist. I've picked the Ancients for this because they have the coach and the cash to see things through. The first half is a real mixed bunch with alot of injuries and some wired teams. Wor Geordies! is likely to be facing the Ancients in the third round with a (relatively) easy first game, the Sylvania Counts look dangerous but will give away too many handicaps to go far (plus I've seen their coach try to play vampires). On the other side of the draw Ravnos and Blood look tough but are 10k short of hiring that all important count for their first game against the ancients. The Blood Gang have strong thralls but relatively weak vampires, I see them winning their first game but going out in the second round. This is the group to watch if you like wierd teams, crazy plays, and some truly brutal handicaps Very Happy

Fourth Quarter - VCologne

I'm not going to lie here.... I thought Brudge were going to dominate this quarter and the tournament much like the Ministry of Lahmia dominated the last one. Brudge has absolutely everything you could want - hard as nails thralls, tons of cash, and spectacularly powerful vampires including Ma 8 freak vampire (these are damn scary, trust me). However they've been punted from the competition by the plucky Sunnydale Suckers which is bad news for coach Melissa but very good news for pretty much everyone else. A big hail to the Suckers chief Stanrichardson from me Smile Halivareths Keep Out Of Direct Sunlight 2 gives the group some real interest as a longstanding powerhouse however I dont think they'll go the distance because they seriously lack in both tackle and cash. Instead my choice here is VCologne, if their coach can show some restraint on pitch and hold the team together they look tough - a quick glance at the match history suggests this shouldnt be a problem. The rest of the group looks quite exciting but not in the running for the semifinals. You never know with vampires though, can the giantkillers keep going all the way to the top? Smile

Thats my take on things anyway, lets hear your views now.

Heres to seeing you on the field Very Happy

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
erikekers

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 04:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice wrap SillySod.

One Ah Ha Ha make it two from two, knocking out the defending XFL Vampire champions in the first round for the second season in a row.

Now bring on the blood!
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if there is anything that the current results have taught me it's to expect the unexpected. Some of the stronger teams have already been knocked out (possibly due to crippling handicaps? I haven't seen all the replays yet) and I almost came close to winning my game against The Leechers. While I'm disappointed to be out in the first round I gotta say that was probably the most fun game I have ever had with my vampires, possibly the most fun game I've ever had period. Wink

Some of my predictions for the first 8;

Baali vs Racers - Everything points to Baali winning their first game with more, developed vampires and some extremely well developed thralls. Keep an eye on Dick Dastardly from the Racers... 20 games played, 15 touch downs and 15 casualties? That is an amazing player right there. Maybe he can make some magic happen.

Placated Lust vs Die Meech, Die - DM,D should easily walk away with this one in my opinion. Will give away a handicap but PL seem to be criminally under strength with injured players to boot. They also have absolutely no money in the bank whereas DM,D is well prepared with 270k, giving them the option for hiring a count and/or a wizard if they so choose. As I said though, nothing is certain in this league and hopefully Placated Lust can surprise us and give DM,D a really good fight.

Bon Scott vs Rotters - The Rotters look like the better developed team and Bon Scott could have problems if one or more of their players niggle out. With only 6 FF Bon Scott are likely to lose any kick off results, which could spell disaster. Rotters look like the better developed team overall but Bon Scott have almost 300 games of experience under their belt so hopefully they'll be able to use that to their advantage somehow.

Suckerers vs Jyhad - Looks like the Suckerers have a more evenly spread set of skills but Jyhad have a handful of experienced players who could turn out to be quite a handful all by themselves. Unfortunately with only 12 players on their team, I predict that even one or two failed bloodlust rolls could be crippling for Jyhad. If they're forced to take one of their own powerful thralls out of the game it could be the end for them there and then.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 18, 2008 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like my predictions are going to plan in the third quarter so far with both Wor Geordies! and the Nachtburg Ancients winning their first games.

Is anyone going to predict any upsets?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Ilovpompom

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2008 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, nice to see i'm supposed to win a match or 2. I'm not sure it's gonna be so easy, I got my blitzer vamp out on monday with a niggle with no time to play another game and if niggles don't roll nice I may well play a weaker team than my first opponent.

I'm happy to have quite even matches though, should be a really fun xfl.
dpwright

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2008 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Placated Lust are under-strength, and I expect to see the Count in there.

However...2 vamps at ST5, a third vamp who is skilled up to the max and a 4th that was taken last game purely for hypnotic gaze and game saving....anything can happen.

Well...no. I'm going to get my arse handed to me. But...let's put it this way. He may get through, but he will need ALL of that money next round.

If they're going down, they're taking everybody with them. T16 fouls a go-go.
Gatts

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2008 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

sorry to dissapoint silly, A really well placed get the ref made a game that looked like it would go to the special mine over 8 turns of vicious fouling and my first ever pitch clearing. Unfortunatly the cash from the game was hottible (30k= yuck) and my skilling vamp aged -st... so with fewer players than ever i am very tempted to use my potion on the unskilled niggle thrall i picked up in the very last turn of the game, It's the kind of move that will live on to haunt me but 13 players against the leechers 3 dp squad looks very unappealing. Anyway, on to the next round!

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2008 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats all good Gatts, I had whoever won your game down as losing the next one anyway Wink Some harsh aging and poor cash look like they'll settly predictions back into place Smile

Plus upsets are part of the fun - I'd be pretty disapointed if everything went according to my predictions Very Happy

PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2008 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Well from my experience of playing against the Leechers they could (should) have been a bit more brutal with their fouling especially since his team were more geared towards a punch-up than mine. Maybe Shimin was having an off day and just missed the opportunities, maybe he didn't think the fouls would benefit him as much as I thought they would, maybe he just lacks the killer instinct. Wink Maybe he will decide to foul you more after our last game, maybe he wont.

Leechers have more players but are down to 3 vampires for their match against you so I suppose it could go either way. What I think will really decide the match is if he uses his 90k to hire the count.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 26, 2008 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

This is getting pretty interesting. I just scraped through my last game because for some reason I thought I could get away without hiring the count, but from here I can hire him every single game along with plenty of wizardly assistants so my prospects look good alot with the prediction for the first eight.

Bloodbloodblood have done well in the second quarter as per expectations however they are facing an unexpected and menacing Not Bloody Likely in what looks like a good fight for suremacy of their group. My money is still on Bloodbloodblood but so far Not Bloody Likely appears to be well capable of ignoring their numerical disadvantage and winning anyway.

The third quarter seems to be going exactly as predicted although there is still a fair way to go there. I still believe the Nachtburg Ancients will take it.

The fourth group I'm going to label as "the bloody difficult group where every prediction goes wrong". First Brudge is out and now my pick is out in the first round too and they've only played 3 games Sad Damn you guys, damn you. I love it but I'm not touching this group with a barge pole for any more predictions Very Happy

Gatts

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2008 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

*points finger at silly*
nanananana foiled you again Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2008 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I will badly drop out vs Doowa for sure.Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2008 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Gatts wrote:
*points finger at silly*
nanananana foiled you again Smile

.... and got a bit beat up at the same time Very Happy I'm liking your team alot right now Twisted Evil

Wow, the Sunnydale Suckerers look like going through too. To be honest I'll be happy with 1/4 of my predictions being correct (take a guess which one). Mind you, 2/4 would be pretty good going so come on Ancients!

Burnalot

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2008 - 15:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks to great luck the Ancients advance to the semis after a really tense game. Never would I have guessed that they make it so far.

Post   Posted: Oct 07, 2008 - 18:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck, I'm out Smile

Jump to: