16 coaches online • Server time: 07:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sigla

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

When you win the toss, are there circumstances when it is to your team's advantage to kick rather than receive?
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

When it`s raining/snowing against a slower and less agile team. MAYBE on blinding sun against a team that relies on passing on 3+ (human/skaven).
PorkusMaximus

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I read in the khemri strategy section that sometimes starting off kicking can be to your advantage; Your opponent (hopefully) scores in 2-3 turns and then you get 5-6 turns to attempt your equalizing touchdown, then you take your full 8 turns to score in the second half. It's the basic 2-1 strategy that most bash teams employ I suppose, although I've rarely if ever seen a team opt to kick given the choice, even in the circumstances CL described.
Zatoc

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

For elves I always kick. Always defend when you have the most chance to stop it. Ie when you have a full team of your best players.

Scoring in 2 turns with 6-10 elves is relatively painless but defending with 6-10 is a nightmare
Emrys

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to opt to kick and then try to get to half time at 0-0 with enough players left to mount an offense in the second half. This may explain my appalling CR, though.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

no
Mates

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to choose kick instead of receive with dwarves when I was starting here, and it was quite useful. But when you receive you got the chance to hit first, foul first and thus get some advantage.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

What I like is the ease in which you can understand Melmoth's position Mr. Green
pac

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 21:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes. Razz
Pro511

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2008 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Zatoc wrote:
For elves I always kick. Always defend when you have the most chance to stop it. Ie when you have a full team of your best players.

Scoring in 2 turns with 6-10 elves is relatively painless but defending with 6-10 is a nightmare

That's an interesting point. I'll have to think/experiment more with that.

As for me, I always feel that getting the three +1 blocks and possible foul first was such a huge advantage that it outweighed much else. Especially when it compared to my opponenet getting the same. Even when my teams weren't bashy, sending 3 guys to die on turn 1 is always demoralizing.

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I virtually always choose to kick.

Quote:
As for me, I always feel that getting the three +1 blocks and possible foul first was such a huge advantage that it outweighed much else.

Although its a nice advantage its pretty much completely countered by he control of the KO box the defending side has... although the first half will be easier you are likely to have completely lost that momentum by the start of the second half.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Well - you can only choose the number of KO-rolls, if you turned over your oppnent. and have the choice if to score in T7 (you need the KO recovery more than him) or T8. But in that case you are going into the second half with a lead AND recieving - so you are up in the game anyways.

In general, if you are recieving, you can control the pace of the drive. That is the major advantage of recieving as the first half is often more important (e.g. early cas take players out for more turns).
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Well - you can only choose the number of KO-rolls, if you turned over your oppnent. and have the choice if to score in T7 (you need the KO recovery more than him) or T8.

Note that if you chose to recieve then you will never have this choice. Also notice that if things go badly for you and you suffer an drive where they score then the KO rolls are still favourable for you - chances are that you have more KOs to bring back.
The recieving team might be able to control the pace of the game within that drive but they are totally unable to control the pace of the game outside of that.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
pac

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Given that there are successful coaches who state that they always receive, and also other successful coaches who state that they always kick, we can see that this decision is not a key factor in a coach's success or failure.

What we can say is that, given that you may have to kick or receive at the start, you need to be prepared for both eventualities, especially since it is clear that the best coaches are comfortable in either situation. Above all, you need to avoid falling into the trap of thinking that whoever gets 'first hit' will inevitably win.
Pro511

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand and agree with your point pac.

On a side note (sort of)... I'm not convinced of the fact that "because successful coaches do it" is always proof of a correct decision.

I think BB is deceptive in that way. It is easy to be "wrong" (for lack of a better word) in one or two or three aspects (consistent decisions) of the game without it truly affecting the game. Nothing huge of course. Which is your "Key Factor" distinction. But I think a good coach could easily sneak some bad habits into his game (overwhelmed by good habits) with little impact. My proof would be the fact that he could consistently win with "inferior" teams.

But that's not directly related to this discussion. Sort of.