10 coaches online • Server time: 06:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Unlife

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT: Deadline for signing up: Sunday 11pm bbtime
EDIT: Tutorials and links moved to the wiki.
EDIT: Got admin's approval to use a group to run the tournaments, please suscribe with [L]eague LRB compliant team.

Here it goes Smile

Format and rules:

- 2 Alpha starters, 4 boosters from extensions you choose among those: Arabian nights, Antiquities, Legend, The Dark and Fallen Empire.
- Free basic lands
- Everyone will be able to see what the others got, hit your opponent where he is weak Wink That's also why people won't be able to sneack one more card in.
- 40 cards minimum in a deck, 4 maximum of each card but basic lands
- 4 rounds, pairing will be random first one, then the top scores will meet each others (if they didn't play yet) and so on.
- One week deadline.
- All games are played the best out of 3, so 4 possible results: 2-0, 2-1, 1-2, 0-2. One point for each single win. Number of losses will be taken into account later if there is some tie. If a match isn't played before the deadline, I'll decide who wins 2-0 based on activity or a coin toss.
- Players are allowed to build a different deck after each round (with the same cards of course)
- 5 to 16 players (me included, I'll generate the cards for everyone but me, I'll need someone else to do it, an easy task as you'll soon see)
- No trading allowed (that's the purpose of a sealed deck tournament, trading will come later)
- Prizes: 3 more boosters for the winner (will be possible to pick Alpha this time), 2 for runner-up, 1 for all the others.

Some comments:

- Alpha is the easier set to handle rules wise. Almost each extension introduces new skills and the all things gets more complicated, so I think it's a good pick to get people started.
- To make your choice, you might want to have a look at the cards featured by those extensions in MWS ... You'll find out that (for example) Antiquities has a lot artefacts.
- Since there is 8 cards in each booster but 15 for Legend, you'll get 2 of them for each pick (but Legend). See my next post in this thread (same page) for the details.
- The cards you'll get might be used again in some later tournament (not sealed), and you will be able to trade after this one.
- Next tournament (if any) will feature 4th edition, Ice Age, Chronicles, Homelands, Alliances, Mirage and Vision.

To sign-up:

Like for werewolf threads, answer this post and include something like /signup Unlife. Make sure it's bold. I'd like if you could tell me what boosters you want. If no further instructions when I'll draft you'll get boosters from the less popular extensions (for variety).

Current drafted sets:

Download

Me (drafted by Rijssiej)
Rijssiej
SillySod
SeraphimRed
mightblow
DanTitan76
shadow46x2
CircularLogic

If you aren't happy with your draw, you can reroll once but there is no possible undo Wink Like a reroll during a bloodbowl match hehe.

ps: If someone wanna play a casual game, feel free to catch me on IRC.

Last edited by Unlife on %b %04, %2008 - %10:%Oct; edited 9 times in total
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

/signup Rijssiej
1x Antiquities
3x Arabian Nights
SillySod

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm assuming that the different expansions arent colour specific? Either way....

Signup SillySod
Legend, The Dark, Fallen Empire (cos they sound cool) and Arabian Nights (artifacs sound gay and I wanted some of whatever the powergamer picked Wink)

Edit: BTW, is this worth advertising on TBB?

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

/signup SeraphimRed
2xAntiquities
2x Arabian Nights

Will download this stuff now.

Very comprehensive post too mate. Smile

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Unlife

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

@ SillySod

The expansions aren't colour specific Smile

Basicaly, and I might be wrong:
Arabian nights: good and cheap creatures, they usualy have a flaw to deal with tho
Antiquities: lots of colorless artefacts, wich is good in sealed deck since they fit in any decks (not color dependent). However they are usualy a bit easier than other permanent to destroy (lots of cards that can target them)
Legends: quite balanced, lots of different cards (twice more than the average expansion)
The Dark: the way to go to play goblins Wink Seriously I don't know this one very well, but it's still true that there is quite a lot of them Razz
Fallen Empire: I don't have a clear picture to give you either Wink

Arabian nights is clearly the one that every old players remember the most (at least those I know). But that's thanks to some "not that easy to get" cards, what makes a good expansion for sealed deck are the common cards. I didn't take the time to browse the sets to decide wich one provides the more powerful ones.

About advertising on TBB, feel free Wink

@ Everyone

In the old times you get only 8 cards instead of 15 with a booster (but for Legend). So for each booster you pick from an expansion (but for Legend), you'll get 2 (will edit the first post).

starter: 60 cards including 2 rare and 13 uncommons
booster (but Legend): 8 cards including 2 uncommons (no rare, not like it matters ... I could say 2 rare no uncommons it would be correct as well)
booster Legend: 15 cards including 1 rare and 3 uncommons

ps: Thanks SeraphimRed Wink
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Built a deck to test thanks to your help. Smile
I'm sure it sucks, but I got a Sol Ring! Very Happy

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Last edited by SeraphimRed on %b %01, %2008 - %22:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
mightyblow

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

/signup mightyblow
1x Arabian Nights
1x Antiquities
1x The Dark
1x Fallen Empire

its sure been a long time since my magic days...
DanTitan76

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

/signup Dan Titan
One of each please... except legend Very Happy
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2008 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Early magic sets were themed. Arabian Nights is based off of that story... A Thousand and One... urr... umm... Arabian Nights Wink. Its been ages, so I don't recall all the others off the top, I know Legends was heavily focused on gold Legendary creatures, which were IMO, some of the coolest cards ever printed.

That said, how long before you want to run this? I dont' have a computer i can install stuff on yet, but I'd love to play it!

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2008 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

/signup shadow46x2
2 Dark
2 Antiquities

--j

ImageImage
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2008 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

/signup CircularLogic
2 Antiquities
2 Arabian Nights

I`d say we start 6th edition though. I just went through the cards and saw alot of banding. Banding rules are complicated as hell. I`m not sure which edition it got removed, but 6th should be save. 6th edition also doesn`t have any interupts, but only instants and sorceries.
drbunny

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2008 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Isnt the earlier sets like alpha and that, are broken? I remembered if you get the right cards you can toast ur opp on the first turn.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2008 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

that's a possibility with any deck...

just takes someone with good building skills, the right cards, and the right opening draw...

in fact, i remember duelist used to have articles pertaining to one-shots in the current sets...

--j

ImageImage
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2008 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of Dark Rituals with some Black Weenies can be quite devastating if I recall. Smile

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

DanTitan76

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2008 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

mmmm Good old times....
 Jump to: